Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 AM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Yeah, I meant solar capacity (we very obviously have a much larger total power generation capacity).

From what I can find, the largest single installation is 407 kW at American Public University in Charles Town. According to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) (LINK), the total solar capacity in the state is 6.51 MW. I don't know if that's PV systems only, or others such as solar heating and concentrated solar (which I don't think we have any in WV).

I was a little off with the doubling remark (it was 4.4 MW at the end of 2016 according to NREL), but it would still represent a large increase.

Good work! I had no idea where to find such stuff. Your google-fu is impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Good work! I had no idea where to find such stuff. Your google-fu is impressive.
It helps that I recently did some cursory PV studies for a couple of clients!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
WV MetroNews Yeager Airport's construction committee receives personal tour of major projects - WV MetroNews

A lot is happening at the airport these days. Hopefully they can secure some more flights to bolster their connectivity.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
WV MetroNews Yeager Airport's construction committee receives personal tour of major projects - WV MetroNews

A lot is happening at the airport these days. Hopefully they can secure some more flights to bolster their connectivity.

Good news and a bit that is dubious. I understand the need to stabilize the collapsed emergency ramp if for no other reason than to stabilize that area. I also understand runway 5 is short, it was after all designed to handle DC-3s and Constellations in the propeller age. But, I question the long term need if the proposed runway extension into Coonskin is achieved.

Just a couple of weeks ago there was an article in the Daily Smell that the runway extension program was on course but was only going to add 1200 feet to the runway. After measuring out that extension on Google Earth, it seems odd to stop at 1200 feet. It is just before the prominence in the middle of Coonskin and it would be natural to continue all the way to the point where the terrain slops down to the Elk River basin. If that were to be done the runway would extend another 1700 feet.

It is pretty obvious Charleston does not need 10,000 foot runway but some of that would be guide slope instead of those towers currently in place. Much easier to maintain structures actually on the ground rather than those soaring into the air several hundred feet.

the usefulness of that area to Coonskin is already lost and for the cost of dirt they could extend that full distance. Makes me question why they are stopping there. Perhaps it is a NASA thing in not approving any more than needed for the plane parameters. If so, the local managers could appeal that on simple common sense and by doing so avoid the complete need for extending the emergency run at the other end.

As much as I like solar, I would think wind would be a better choice at the airport. It works 24 hours day when blowing and Charleston has a lot more wind than it does sunny days. A combination would be ideal, but then again, the whole system seems to be a luxury. Power outages at the airport do not happen because they already have emergency generators. So a better system there seems more warranted.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM

146 posts, read 166,265 times
supposedly American to Dallas and United to Houston were both suspended due to the short runway length

Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 PM

No question the runway needs lengthened. We basically have an aircraft carrier for an airport. I don’t see them building out too much more over Coonskin though. The amount of land that would have to be built up over the park would be almost impossible. It’d look like the Hoover Dam of dirt.

Solar panels are less of a pain and would be less of an obstacle for planes.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
No question the runway needs lengthened. We basically have an aircraft carrier for an airport. I don’t see them building out too much more over Coonskin though. The amount of land that would have to be built up over the park would be almost impossible. It’d look like the Hoover Dam of dirt.

Solar panels are less of a pain and would be less of an obstacle for planes.

Well, Chris, that's just it. The 1200 foot extension does all of the heavy filling. It stops about 20% from the ridge line and the ridge itself is rather long - about 800 feet, maybe 900. Then the far side has a very gentle slope to the river before encroaching upon park areas. The extension of the runway is already going to cut off this area I think they are not utilizing. It makes no sense that for a bit more dirt and I am estimating no more than 15% more, the can double that extension if not more.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
supposedly American to Dallas and United to Houston were both suspended due to the short runway length

I think it was more an excuse. Old Boeing 737s used it just fine. The larger Boeing 727 and the 727 tri star used it just fine. We had DC-8 service here at one time. When various presidents have come to Charleston they have come in on Air Force One which is a 747. The Military has brought in a C-141 Starlifter and there has been a C5 Galaxy land here before.

While it is a short run way by modern standards it has plenty of room and as soon as any plane clears the end of the runway it is already 1,000 feet up and there is no noise abatement zone in Charleston. Better yet, no office tower rises over 250 feet and the FAA limit is 1,000."

I do not buy that excuse from them, Charleston's market flat lines at 250,000 boardings a year while the grow else where.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/k...39c590603.html

Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I personally don't know how I feel about this.

Part of me sees a great opportunity in the making. An extended runway and safety area will help the airport tremendously which in turn will help the local and state economy. A larger regional airport will never happen if this goes through, but maybe that is for the best. That will allow Charleston and Huntington's airports to continue on and compete against each other. Competition can be a great thing.

With the land that will be taken from Coonskin and given to the new extension, other lands will be made ready for development. Land that could be used for more sporting/recreation facilities. Our area needs to continue to invest in sports fields, and things like aquatic centers and indoor recreation complexes. Those things attract families to areas, and ultimately help the economy. Our region needs to keep up with the times and offer our young families and kids things to keep them happy and healthy.

The moving of dirt on the other side of the river could also lend itself to economic development. Mink Shoals is about as prime of a location as one could ask for. The problem is that there is no flat land. There is a slither of land for sale beside the southbound off ramp that has remained empty for years because it isn't large enough to support anything. If the airport plans on taking dirt from the north side of the river somewhere (honestly I don't know what the article is referring to), then maybe a mixed use development with a park and sports facilities as well as a planned development could transform that area. I could see something similar to what Bridgeport has accomplish with Charles Pointe, but on a smaller scale.
Welcome to Charles Pointe In fact, Bridgeport just announced that they were going to build a large indoor recreation complex at Charles Pointe. As someone who works with youth, I understand the need our area has for those sorts of things. We really need to look towards the future. Coonskin is a great asset, but accompanied with other assets on the other side of the river, we could see a positive swing for the Northern Charleston area. The Elk River community is poised to take the lead in county development. Especially considering that there will be a new high and elementary school in the near future. Mink Shoals, Pinch and Elkview are already desirable places for families to live. Obviously the river valley has proven to be a hazard, so building up new developments away from the river will continue that.

Also, the existing park area that will be untouched could use the opportunity to upgrade facilities and re-purpose land.

and now the other side of the story

None of that will ever happen in this area, and this is just the airport getting greedy. They will destroy one of our area's biggest assets, and will create an eyesore for everyone to see.

Rant over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston