Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 AM

6,098 posts, read 9,140,629 times

Advertisements

The new lounge area and conference room bring an inviting feel into the city and state.

Yeager opens newly renovated Executive Air terminal* - Business - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,887,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The new lounge area and conference room bring an inviting feel into the city and state.

Yeager opens newly renovated Executive Air terminal* - Business - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
The coal companies that own the state can now relax in style as they fly out of state with our wealth, all subsidized by the taxpayers.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,063,721 times
Who paid for it?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 AM

4,972 posts, read 8,976,065 times
From the article:

Quote:
The Central West Virginia Regional Airport Authority paid for the building renovations, while Executive Air paid for furniture, he said.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Who paid for it?
CT almost every airport in the US receives aid from both the state and federal government. They are not profitable run privately, in this becomes more true the bigger they are.

In the end the taxpayers are subsidizing this executive lounge so the owners of private jets dont have to mingle with the ordinary folk of WV. How many WVians own private jets?

This just goes to show that everything I have said is true.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,910,517 times
Looking at the photo - there are lounge chairs facing each other with a floor lamp in-between them (so you're looking at a lamp stem when trying to look at the person across from you)??

Aside from that design decision, it is true that first impressions mean a lot, especially in business and when trying to bring people in who may bring business to the area. It sounds "elitist" but most airports have facilities like this - and many times much more elaborate (and expensive) than this... so it's probably not a bad thing.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Looking at the photo - there are lounge chairs facing each other with a floor lamp in-between them (so you're looking at a lamp stem when trying to look at the person across from you)??

Aside from that design decision, it is true that first impressions mean a lot, especially in business and when trying to bring people in who may bring business to the area. It sounds "elitist" but most airports have facilities like this - and many times much more elaborate (and expensive) than this... so it's probably not a bad thing.
It is not going to bring in anything. It is a small regional airport. This lounge is for the very few people who own private jets and use the airport. They already know each other. It is nothing but excessive waste that the vast majority of citizens of WV, and Charleston, will never get to experience.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is not going to bring in anything. It is a small regional airport. This lounge is for the very few people who own private jets and use the airport. They already know each other. It is nothing but excessive waste that the vast majority of citizens of WV, and Charleston, will never get to experience.
I'll have to disagree, to a point.

If any potential private investors do come in to the area to look around, they are going to be brought in via private jet - not by a Greyhound bus or taxi. Just because Yeager is "just" a regional airport does not mean VIPs are not brought into the area. There are tons of small cities throughout the U.S. that only have regional airports that bring in investors, and frankly, most of them probably spend a lot more money on airport upgrades than Charleston did (think Smokey mountain tourist areas, Chattanooga, Branson, Savannah, etc). I'm sure a lot of good old boy friends DO use the room as a club house - but I'm just saying that I'm sure it will also be used as a gateway room for more important people as they visit and take a look at the city for future projects, too.

I know this probably isn't what you're saying, but it almost sounds like you're saying, "No one would ever want to come here to invest in the City so this is a waste", but sometimes small things that some see as a waste of money actually begin to add up to bring MORE people into an area (business and downtown landscaping, airport improvements, train terminal improvements, riverfront tourism improvements, etc). If no one ever started by spending any money on improvements, then no, the City will never see any growth and interesting in outsider development. Just a thought.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'll have to disagree, to a point.

If any potential private investors do come in to the area to look around, they are going to be brought in via private jet - not by a Greyhound bus or taxi. Just because Yeager is "just" a regional airport does not mean VIPs are not brought into the area. There are tons of small cities throughout the U.S. that only have regional airports that bring in investors, and frankly, most of them probably spend a lot more money on airport upgrades than Charleston did (think Smokey mountain tourist areas, Chattanooga, Branson, Savannah, etc). I'm sure a lot of good old boy friends DO use the room as a club house - but I'm just saying that I'm sure it will also be used as a gateway room for more important people as they visit and take a look at the city for future projects, too.

I know this probably isn't what you're saying, but it almost sounds like you're saying, "No one would ever want to come here to invest in the City so this is a waste", but sometimes small things that some see as a waste of money actually begin to add up to bring MORE people into an area (business and downtown landscaping, airport improvements, train terminal improvements, riverfront tourism improvements, etc). If no one ever started by spending any money on improvements, then no, the City will never see any growth and interesting in outsider development. Just a thought.
I am not saying not to invest in Charleston. Charleston has potential to rebound and grow again, and it is also a state capital. I am saying that the VIP lounge wont bring in any investment. Only politicians and the owner of coal mines and chemical plants will use it. For 99.9% of Charleston residence it will remain inaccessible. Seriously how many private jets fly out of Yeager a day? 2-6? There are plenty of nice restaurants and bars in Charleston where one could discuss business. They are not going to change their mind and invest more due to a VIP lounge.

Now the worst part is that this is subsidized by all WV taxpayers, and probably federal too. So we are all paying for something that we can never get to use. Not only that, but the vast majority of users are probably not even WV residents, and will not contribute to it through taxes. So we have the poor citizens of WV subsidizing a VIP lounge for the owners of private jets.

Now if the airport needs upgrades than by all means upgrade it, but build practical ones. Ones that will help the state and the region, and not just lobbyist who feel they are too good to be around normal WVians while they wait for their private jet to take them far away from the state.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,063,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You know, I agree it is terrible that the super rich elitists get pampered, special treatment that is ultimately paid for by our middle class. If it isn't open to everyone, it should not be built with public or "non profit" tax exempt money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston