Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times

Advertisements

This is a great layout of what Slack Plaza may look like after it gets remodeled. The plaza recieved a federal grant to revamp itself, and this is a great link that showcases what it will most likely look like. This will be a major improvement to downtown! Big Deal!

http://www.epa.gov/dced/pdf/GAC_Charleston.pdf

another

http://spacesforpeople.wordpress.com...t-slack-plaza/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
That's a beautiful plan, but is only a guideline (though a GREAT one) for future improvements. The federal funding was also only for the conceptual plans and the city is still looking at funding options for the project (in phases, of course). The last I heard was the money - about $1-2 mil - that was apportioned for the Kanawha River Trestle project was partially diverted to the Slack redevelopment after the bridge cost estimates came in well over expectations. The first step is replacing the pavers in the Brawley Walkway with the string lights above, and possibly other enhancements in the walkway. I haven't heard any developments for Slack itself, but I do know they are still actively pursuing the project.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
That's a beautiful plan, but is only a guideline (though a GREAT one) for future improvements. The federal funding was also only for the conceptual plans and the city is still looking at funding options for the project (in phases, of course). The last I heard was the money - about $1-2 mil - that was apportioned for the Kanawha River Trestle project was partially diverted to the Slack redevelopment after the bridge cost estimates came in well over expectations. The first step is replacing the pavers in the Brawley Walkway with the string lights above, and possibly other enhancements in the walkway. I haven't heard any developments for Slack itself, but I do know they are still actively pursuing the project.
Did you happen to see on the link how the remodeled the walkway from the mall to the bus station (where Rio Grande is)? That was really unique and that would be a big enhancement.

If we could get this thing rolling, Slack Plaza could be very classy place with alot going for it. Location is perfect, and I can see dozens more restaurants and shops on the Brawley Walkway, Summers ST, Capital ST, and at the termminal itself.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I would hope they would use the textures of paver stones to create a design instead of whatever that black swirly mess is in the renderings. "Less is more" when it comes to stuff like that. And throughout the PDF are concepts of "seating" that I found humorous. Look at the chairs. I hope they don't try to get cutesie and use those French cafe inspired chairs. WV is meat and potato country - most of my family's butts would crush one of those seats the second they sat in one.

But it's nice to see that finally someone is looking at the value of landscaping in Charleston. Cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, and smaller Chattanooga years ago discovered that a city that looks nice will attract people more than one that doesn't, regardless of stuff to do. Tons of money in these cities is pumped into public landscaping and it does pay off as tourists and convention visitors always comment about how nice the areas that have it done look, and makes them want to come back. The areas that don't have it get comments on how uninviting they are and hence, how people don't want to go to those areas.

Of course, if there isn't active and strong vagrant control it doesn't matter what you do. Vagrants have literally taken over several Atlanta parks and as a result, patrons don't go near the places and businesses near them suffer. Lack of leadership is to blame. Slack plaza had vagrants long ago when I lived there and I understand it's still an issue around that area. If they allow it to continue when the renovation is done, it's a waste of money.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
Good post AtlantaG

Another city that has terrific landscaping is Lexington, KY. It makes the town inviting, and appear very clean.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 AM

I think a major sunject that the city should be actually looking into is a rails for trails network that would connect Charleston and Huntington, and then Charleston to Sutton along the Elk River. This could be a great plan, and the land is already there for the trail. The trail could pass through downtown, Capital Market, State Capial, and south aswell.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:09 AM

After years of discussing Slack Plaza, it has finally been completely renovated. It is certainly an improvement from what it used to be. I just hope that their indented goal of discouraging the homeless, drug traffickers, and criminal minded from taking over the space pays off. A new brewery is going in across the street. The bus terminal is now further down Laidley Street, and not in the direct path of people walking from the CTC to the Brawley Walkway.

I really like the new statues. They look great, and have a unique Appalachian vibe to them. They bring color to the park. The lack of color is one beef I have with the space overall. Everything is either tan, gray, or silver. They definitely need to paint a mural on the building behind the stage.

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/04/12/g...in-charleston/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston