Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 AM

20 posts, read 58,753 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone....

After a VERY long time researching, we have decided to move down to the Charleston area -- most likely Summerville -- from the Northern VA/DC metro area.

For the most part, I have found that just about everybody really loves this area and cannot say enough positive things about it. What is concerning me, and has been a huge priority, is some of the most recent posts regarding the schools in Summerville. I have heard, of course, that Dorchester II is rated one of the best in the state, but still see a lot of negative posts -- including violence/fighting in the schools/area. We cannot afford a private school, but want the best for our child --especially coming from an area with GERAT schools.

We have considered Daniel Island (where we really LOVE) but a little out of our price range. Is there anyone out there that can tell me their experience with Daniel Island School, as well as any other comments regarding the D-2 schools (middle and high).

Also would love a general consensus on the best neighborhoods in the D-2 district, as well as the whole Charleston area -- esp from those who have relocated from the north. Do you love it there??? :-)

THANKS SO MUCH, in advance! Have a good day everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,636 times
Just a suggestion, coming from Northern Va you may want to consider Mount Pleasant. Seems like a good fit. What age are your children? If you have HS age children you won't want to consider DI, unless you can afford private. the elementary school It's 4k-8, is awesome and hopefully by the time you have a HS age child a new HS will be built. I really haven't heard much negative about Summerville schools (except here). Violence in the school does scare me. I have children 17,13,4 and 2. It happens everywhere but not often.
The people I have helped relocate that are moving back are moving for other issues not school

Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,301 times
As a Summerville business owner (former) I have heard some stories about violence in the schools in that area...first hand stories from parents who have recently had children involved in these actions.

If you like DI, you should also check out Mt Pleasant. Great schools there also.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM

Hmmmm...THANKS TO YOU "BEACH ME" and "CAPE_FISHERMAN", for the QUICK RESPONSES!! "Beach Me"...do you mind me asking what the other issues that are sending people back are??? Three of my kids are adults...and will be leaving them behind :-( ... (very bittersweet issue); the other is 10 and will be starting middle school in SC. I have a friend that moved to DI from here, actually, and she did mention that it's a catholic high school there on the island. I have heard that Wando is good, but DI residents don't go there. Decisions, decisions...HELP!

I have heard a LOT of people mention that Mt. Pleasant is very nice. That was an area we had hoped to visit when we were down there visiting in January (we just drove through it)...but may be out of our price range.

We may be moving down as soon as next month, which is why I'm starting to get a little concerned if this is the move we should be making.

All comments welcome, please!!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM

I have a senior at Wando. Actually my 13 year old did say there was a fight in the cafeteria at Cario Middle School a few weeks ago. But I remember that in school (waaayyy bacck then)

Yes DI does have Bishop England (BE) but it is costly. My two nephews have been going to catholic school since birth but last this year they transferred to Wando. They didn't like BE and are very happy at Wando.

Two of our recent listings-clients built two relatives built side by side in Blackberry Creek in Summerville October 09 and are already moving back. They say they just don't like it here. They had a job offer back in NY and decided to take it. They did say they loved the schools. They have elementary aged children.

The other older couple has been here about 3 years. Their home in Long Island never sold and their adult daughter still lives in NY so they decided to move back. They have health issues and were hoping moving here would help them. Never really liked the area. And honestly I am not surprised they are moving back because they didn't seem to fit in the neighborhood they bought in but they wanted the home.

Not sure your price range but there are some nice homes in Mount Pleasant (and deals) You can find a 3 bedroom home starting in the 200's and a townhome in the 140's. All of the Mount Pleasant schools are good and Wando is currently the only HS.

Last edited by beachme; 03-18-2010 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM

I have to say you can buy a 2500+ sq foot home in Summerville for 200's. You can't buy that in Mount Pleasant. It will be a 1400 sq foot home in the 200s.

Location location location.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM

THANKS AGAIN, BEACH ME...I have to ask: Are you from the Charleston area and how long have you lived there?

Again, without actually living there, and seeing the schools, etc., I have heard a lot more positive than negative. The brief time we were there visiting, we fell in love with the area and felt so strongly that we got our "confirmation"... after tons of research. We feel it's time to leave Northern VA/DC...for MANY reasons -- cost of living, rat-race, etc....but most of all, we're looking for and need "Quality of Life"...and hope that this will be a "fit" for us. We're also hoping that my older children will follow. :-) That's the hard part.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 AM

I grew up in Charlotte NC and we visited the area often. I moved to Mount Pleasant 6 years ago. My husband has been here over 16 years. Not a local though.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
There are problems at any and all of the Middle and High schools, kids will fight especially in the larger schools where there is a much larger diversity of students.

My son graduated from Summerville, the fights do happen but the discipline is swift and harsh that is how they keep them in check.

I have lived in Summerville nearly 20 years and have seen this place blow up with growth, it all depneds on where you want to live and how much you want to spend.....

Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,328 times
Having lived in Northern Virginia (Springfield, Va.) for many years and relocating to Mt. Pleasant in 1988, I feel sure that you would feel comfortable in and love Mt. Pleasant. With regards to home prices, you can certainly get more home for your money in such areas as Summerville just as well as you can get more for your dollar in such areas as Dale City and Fredericksburg, Virginia than in Fairfax County communities. It is generally a personal decision to live closer in than further out and each area has it's own feel and personality.

With regards to home prices in Mt. Pleasant, you will have a large number of single family housing options in great subdivisions in the under $300,000 range. In the past 6 months, 41 homes in Mt. Pleasant in the 2000sqft.+ range sold for less than $300,000. Several of these sold in the under $250,000 range. Many of the homes in the $250,000 to $300,000 range were between 2200 and 2400 sqft., with a few over 2500 sqft. There certainly is a price difference between such areas as Mt. Pleasant and Summerville, but relatively large homes in Mt. Pleasant can be purchased in the $200s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area