Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 PM

38 posts, read 94,227 times

Advertisements

We were looking to move to Summerville soon. Can anyone tell me how Dorchester Estates and Greenhurst Developments are? Also any comments on the elementary,middle and high school for these areas would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 PM

52 posts, read 126,978 times
Greenhurst is not a good neighborhood. A pizza was robbed and shot there just trying to make a delivery. I drive through their, but look straight ahead and never stop. I do not know anything about Dorchester Estates. As far as the schools go, you get the good with the bad. We are leaving the state due to the school system here. Also if you are from the north, we have found the South Carolina schools to be about 2 years behind.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info. We are moving from NY. Is Ashley Ridge High that far behind also.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
This High School is brand new. I don't know anyone who goes there but most Dorch 2 schools are ranked high for SC. SC in general is just not ranked high for schools.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM

486 posts, read 996,733 times
Grunzen, when you say the schools are 2 years behind, do you mean in general or are you talking about the Summerville schools in the Dorchester II school district in particular?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2009, 05:52 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
DD2 schools are generally the better schools in the area....

That being said, they are far from being as good as the private schools or schools up north....

I have lived here for over 20 years, Greenhurst used to be a good area, but not anymore....

Look out more towards Knightsville, stay away from Sangaree....

Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
I agree about Greenhurst. When you see the surrounding area leading up to it you will probably change your mind anyway. Miles-Jamison is just not a nice road. I think I know where Dorchester Estates is and that would be a much nicer area and the schools are better too.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
I agree about Greenhurst. When you see the surrounding area leading up to it you will probably change your mind anyway. Miles-Jamison is just not a nice road. I think I know where Dorchester Estates is and that would be a much nicer area and the schools are better too.
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what subdivision or area that is good for families in the Ashley Ridge school district. We are looking at 150,000.00 or less for a house. Summerville High is too big for my daughter, there is only about 800 students in her high school now, and getting less every month. My boys will adjust because they are younger and it wont be much different for them ( class wise, anyways.)

Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
Keep in mind that Ashley Ridge is gradually adding more students for the next two years. Total student capacity is around 1,800, but I think they have plans to expand (yes already) and add more. Bridges of Summerville and Brandymill are two neighborhoods that feed into Ashley Ridge.

This might help you out: http://dorchester.schoolfusion.us/mo...fbd20a30d0ef32

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
Keep in mind that Ashley Ridge is gradually adding more students for the next two years. Total student capacity is around 1,800, but I think they have plans to expand (yes already) and add more. Bridges of Summerville and Brandymill are two neighborhoods that feed into Ashley Ridge.

This might help you out: http://dorchester.schoolfusion.us/mo...fbd20a30d0ef32
Thanks for the info. Ill check those neighborhoods out. They are already planning on expanding the school. Do you know of any other good school districts in the area that might be a little smaller? I've checked out most of the districts on the computer and Dorchester II and Mt Pleasant were the top districts. Mt Pleasant is too close to the coast and too expensive. Do you know anything about Sprucewood Subdivision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area