Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM

41 posts, read 105,923 times

Advertisements

So me and my fiance just got back from a 4 day trip to the Charleston area. Reasoning for visiting is to determine if this would be the ideal fit for us to move next year! We arrived at Myrtle Beach and Rented a car and drove down to our hotel (maters inn) in Mount Pleasant. The ride was fine and went thru a few cities! Southern part of myrtle beach seems fine but the area where we got our car seemed alittle rundown/ghetto. Next door to the Enterprise was a bunny ranch lol..def a sight for sore eyes lol.. we dont see that kind of thing in wisconsin..

We drove thru Georgetown and that city seemed alittle rundown! Def wouldnt ever consider living there...When we arrived in Mt Pleasant we were def pleased of what we saw. Couldnt believe how clean the city was and PALM trees were very appealing to us.We checked into our hotel at about 8pm and after showering we decided to drive to ISLE OF PALMS and get food. We went to Coconut Joes and was a very nice rest on beach! Food was pretty good and server was nice! Then we walked the beach for an hr or so!
Then we woke up early and went to the beach again to lay in sun and relax in water! We were amazed how pretty and clean the beach was!! After just sitting and staring off as far as our eyes can see we just looked at each other and said "This is the place for us"...we noticed dogs were permitted as long as they were leashed..since we do have 2 dogs and would love to take them on beach for walks. We loooooved IOP! After being on the beach for 3 hrs we decided to take a drive to SUMMERVILLE (since this was the original place we were thinkin about moving to). Took us about 30 mins to get too and to be honest as soon as we arrived we werent really impressed. I guess spending the day in mount pleasant it kinda spoils you. We were trying to find the AZAELA PARK but after 30 mins not finding it we finally gve up and left. Main st had alot of shops but just overall the city didnt impress me.
After returning, we went to hotel to change and decided to get some food in downtown charleston! We decided on the THE FLEET (which i have a funny story about). The atmosphere was awesome and the location of rest seemed ideal. My fiance ordered the SWORDFISH and i Ordered the Shrimps and grits. Now the funny thing is that when we ordered waitress asked us if we wanted soup or salad. We both decided salad. Now dont get me wrong the food was good, but when we got the bill it was like $12 higher then it was suppose to be. We looked at it and noticed she charged us $6 per salad. (and we barely ate the salad since it wasnt even good). We brought it to our waitresses attention and all she said was "oh im sorry"...lol she made it seem like the salad came with meal. So we were kinda disappointed on how they do things there. I dunno if its a tactic to make more $$...who knows.
Afterwards we walked on the pierre right next door looking at the beautiful views and noticed a aircraft carrier. Then we walked around on boardwalk which was breath taking!! We were soo amazed on how clean downtown was. We def loved downtown Charleston. We checked out CITADEL MALL...we thought it would be bigger, seemed ok i guess..dunno if i would shop there....
Then on sunday we woke up to go to beach again for a couple of hrs! After that we went to the SC Aquarium...it was $34 for both of us. It was decent wish we could have seen more. We were hoping to see lots of coral and exotic fish. After we left we were going to walk downtown some more but started to rain. Then decided to go to GILLIGANS for food in mt pleasant! Def would recommend that Rest. We ordered seafood platter and their "hush puppies" are delicious!! After that we left and just relaxed in hotel since it was storming out and ran out of money lol. Then we decided to check out their local walmart. We went to the one thats open 24-7. The other walmart was kinda run down and they should honestly tear down that one. Anyways the walmart looked identical to the one in wisconsin except the landscaping of course was awesome!! We love Palm Trees!!
And this is pretty funny!! We were in line and we saw a little 4 yr old boy try to steal a candy bar lol...he tried to fit it in his pocket it but was too big for that. So he curled it in his shirt lol. Apparently his mom caught him cause he started crying on their way out. We thought that was kinda funny in a way! After that we were just exhausted and went back to hotel since we had to wake up early to drive back to myrtle beach airport.

Overall i would HIGHLY recommend MT PLEASANT, IOP AND DOWNTOWN CHARLESTON!! Wish we could have visited more but we were only limited on what we can do!! I think after this visit i def want to live in MT PLEASANT AREA! Summerville was a HUUGE disappointment! We saw nice apts in mt pleasant called RUNAWAY BAY. We can def afford those places!!

My ?? tho is we took a apt finder book and theres a city called WEST ASHLEY? Where is that because everytime i punched that city in my GPS it just said CITY NOT FOUND...couldnt find it anywhere....

Well there you go sorry for it being soo long lol just wanted to share my experience with you guys!! By jun 2010 im hoping i can call MT PLEASANT OUR HOME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:58 AM

48 posts, read 107,819 times
About sums up my experience as well. Summerville does grow on you but they need to do something about the roads here. West Ashley is just the city of Charleston west of the Ashley river.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
West Ashley is an area of Charleston that is West of the Ashley river....

I don't know where you went in Summerville, but you probably missed the best parts....

Azalea park is right on main street just past the small town square area....

Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
If you didn't find Azalea Park then I have a feeling you didn't really see Summerville. If you took the first exit 199B, then you went the wrong way.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I'm glad you enjoyed Charleston. When you went to Citadel Mall, you were in West Ashley.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,958 times
My family is planning on doing the same exact thing you did. We are going to Myrtle Beach at the end of July (we live in Pa) and plan on taking a day trip to Summerville to scope out the place. I am sad to hear that it isn't what I keep picturing in my head. From what I can see online (and it does look gorgeous online!) it seems like the perfect place. I will still be taking the trip for myself, but it was really nice to hear some of your opinions as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
If you didn't find Azalea Park then I have a feeling you didn't really see Summerville. If you took the first exit 199B, then you went the wrong way.
Gotta Agree with SCJJ....

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
If your thinking of a move, why not call a Realtor and have them give you the "tour" that way you'll see the area and won't miss anything. That's part of what we do best.

Glad you loved Mt Pleasant that's why I call it home!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM

41 posts, read 105,923 times
we went thru LINCOLNVILLE....And we were right near the park since some1 at a taco bell said so..just couldnt find it....

Were actuallyt thinking about WEST ASHLEY NOW. Found some great deals on nice looking apts...Anyone have any info about West Ashley? Crime? Jobs?....We just want to be like 10-15mins away from beach not 45 mins.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Lincolnville is nothing like Summerville, but you are right it is further from the beach. 35 minutes from the gas station at 17A and 78 to Sullivan's Island at station 28.5 on a Saturday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area