Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:11 PM

48 posts, read 243,648 times

Advertisements

Wondering which would have a larger, open, accepting environment for gay couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
Couldn't say in comparison, but I think you'll find Charleston pretty open, with a strong gay and lesbian community.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 PM

43 posts, read 164,423 times
Charleston. The further up I-26 you go, the more "conservative" people tend to be. Check out the county by county SC Presidential election map for proof.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:05 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyGinSC View Post
The further up I-26 you go, the more "conservative" people tend to be. Check out the county by county SC Presidential election map for proof.
Huh? Richland Co. (Columbia) voted 64% for Obama, 35% for McCain; Charleston Co. voted 54% Obama, 45% McCain. The further up I-26 you go after you pass Columbia hwat you say may be true, but Columbia is just as liberal if not more than Charleston is.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 AM

43 posts, read 164,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Huh? Richland Co. (Columbia) voted 64% for Obama, 35% for McCain; Charleston Co. voted 54% Obama, 45% McCain. The further up I-26 you go after you pass Columbia hwat you say may be true, but Columbia is just as liberal if not more than Charleston is.
Except Columbia sits on the Richland/ LEXINGTON county line. Lexington County is one of the most Republican counties in the state at over 68% McCain. I've lived for over a decade in both places. Charleston is more gay friendly.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 AM

45 posts, read 125,111 times
I havent seen much in Columbia, but on my many trips to Charleston I've seen a large gay/lesbian community.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:34 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Except Columbia sits on the Richland/ LEXINGTON county line. Lexington County is one of the most Republican counties in the state at over 68% McCain. I've lived for over a decade in both places. Charleston is more gay friendly.
The only portion of Columbia that is in Lexington Co. is a very small piece out in the Harbison Blvd. area, other than that, the entire city (99%) is in Richland Co. Yes, Lexington, Cayce, West Columbia are all in Lexington Co. and tend to be more conservative/republican as you pointed out - but the same could be said as soon as you cross the Ravenel Bridge to Mt. Pleasant from Charleston, it is much more conservative in that area as well as Summerville - Berkely Co. McCain won 56% of the vote & 57% in Dorchester Co.

As to whether Charleston is more gay friendly, you may be right, but I was just refuting your point that Columbia is much more 'conservative' than Charleston.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:06 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Columbia has more gay and lesbian organizations and more gay and lesbian bars than any other city in South Carolina. Gay Pride is based in Columbia as is the Gay and Lesbian Community Center. Charleston also has a large number of organizations, but not quite as many. Columbia has more extensive anti-discrimination laws (covering employment, housing and public accommodations) and Charleston has one covering employment. Richland County's Sheriff's Department has one of the only gay and lesbian liaison offices in the southeastern U.S. and the city of Columbia was one of the sponsors of SC Pride in 2008. While I find both cities to be equally gay friendly, Columbia has more municipal acceptance than nearly any other city in the southeast. Lexington County may be conservative, but Columbia is in Richland County. I am gay and I would live in either Columbia or Charleston without hesitation; the rest of the state, though, forget about it.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Charleston. The further up I-26 you go, the more "conservative" people tend to be. Check out the county by county SC Presidential election map for proof.
This one? The one that shows 3 of Columbia's 6 metro counties gave Obama a majority?

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 PM

123 posts, read 571,170 times
My partner and I have been well-received in Charleston. We haven't encountered any homophobic attitudes. However, people are very polite here, bless their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area