Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 AM

267 posts, read 815,644 times

Advertisements

I've written before, but there's much to love about Charleston.

Beautiful, clean beaches

Palm trees, live oaks, and Spanish moss

Southern accents

BBQ places that are only open on the weekends

Warm, sunny weather much of the time

Laidback atmosphere

All the history and beautiful old architecture

The small, rural towns just outside of the city

Oyster roasts and grits festivals

So much more, but that's a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 AM

355 posts, read 1,450,656 times
My 'aunt' came into town this week. She's originally from Kentucky but has lived in Los Angeles for about 30 years.

And I fell in love with this city even more when I was taking her all over town. I got the same 'first thrill' of showing the tourist sites, going to some of my favorite restaurants, and driving over our bridges. I haven't been here long but it was such a shot in the arm to show someone only the good things made me realize how many of them there are.

So if you're unhappy here, invite someone to town and rediscover the things you love!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM

354 posts, read 1,078,730 times
I just moved to Daniel Island two months ago....and absolutely LOVE it! The town is just like it appears on it's marketing website at www.danielisland.com
I am an East Coast Canadian. I'm married with 3 children and a dog.
I have moved all over North American. (including Tampa, Seattle, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc) and can honestly say....I have never felt more welcomed and "at home" than I have in South Carolina.
(I visited Greenville briefly during the past summer....made some friends on the 5 day visit and still keep in touch with them!)

When we were enroute for our 3 day drive to move to Charleston, SC area......our new neighbour called us on the cell phone while we were travelling through Maine....wanted to know our approx. time of arriving. He gave us all the names and phone numbers of the utilities companies so while were on the roadtrip we set a bunch of things up.....
When we arrived....our furniture was late....however, the neighbor had put a bottle of wine in our fridge.....and had us over for supper that evening.....
We were staying in a hotel on Daniel Island for about two weeks because there was a delay in our furniture arriving because of the threat of Hurracaine Hannah (which never occurred) We went for a walk in our new neigbourhood a couple days after arriving to get familar with it....and a lady we ran into....offered for us to STAY in her in-law suite above the garage until our furniture arrived!! AND she was serious!!!

We have been invited to numerous parties....Halloween, birthdays....and last weekend invited to Thanksgiving with another family from the hockey rink.

Our neighbors are always knocking on our door on Friday night wondering if we want to come outside and join them all on the street for a drink and socializing...
Sooooo, if you are the least bit concerned about making friends here.....I would like to put your mind at ease.
Unless you have a poor outlook and come across and unapproachable....I would think it would be the easiest move you ever made!!

We truly LOVE it.....
I don't like phoney people....and can honestly say....these people don't come across as phoney at all.
All these kind people I'm referring to are Northerners AND Southerners and they mix VERY well!

My kids go to a private Catholic School in Mount Pleasant called Christ Our King/Stella Maris and they were welcomed with open arms.

I honestly don't know where these people find the time to make all these new friends after living here for so many years. I'm thinking....our social calendar is almost full for the year and we just got here! haha

The weather is AMAZING!!!!
Summer was hot when we arrived but this fall is absolutely dreamy! Perfect temperatures with the sun shining mostly every day.

I do hate the black flies (no-see-ums).....and misquitoes....but heck....I guess it can't be totally perfect!

The beaches.....well....what can I say! I am an East Coast girl....even though I am Canadian....and I love the ocean! Just something about standing on the shore and looking out.....makes you feel like you can breath!

Good luck!!! Hope this helped!!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM

372 posts, read 809,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
I just moved to Daniel Island two months ago....and absolutely LOVE it! The town is just like it appears on it's marketing website at www.danielisland.com
I am an East Coast Canadian. I'm married with 3 children and a dog.
I have moved all over North American. (including Tampa, Seattle, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc) and can honestly say....I have never felt more welcomed and "at home" than I have in South Carolina.
(I visited Greenville briefly during the past summer....made some friends on the 5 day visit and still keep in touch with them!)

When we were enroute for our 3 day drive to move to Charleston, SC area......our new neighbour called us on the cell phone while we were travelling through Maine....wanted to know our approx. time of arriving. He gave us all the names and phone numbers of the utilities companies so while were on the roadtrip we set a bunch of things up.....
When we arrived....our furniture was late....however, the neighbor had put a bottle of wine in our fridge.....and had us over for supper that evening.....
We were staying in a hotel on Daniel Island for about two weeks because there was a delay in our furniture arriving because of the threat of Hurracaine Hannah (which never occurred) We went for a walk in our new neigbourhood a couple days after arriving to get familar with it....and a lady we ran into....offered for us to STAY in her in-law suite above the garage until our furniture arrived!! AND she was serious!!!

We have been invited to numerous parties....Halloween, birthdays....and last weekend invited to Thanksgiving with another family from the hockey rink.

Our neighbors are always knocking on our door on Friday night wondering if we want to come outside and join them all on the street for a drink and socializing...
Sooooo, if you are the least bit concerned about making friends here.....I would like to put your mind at ease.
Unless you have a poor outlook and come across and unapproachable....I would think it would be the easiest move you ever made!!

We truly LOVE it.....
I don't like phoney people....and can honestly say....these people don't come across as phoney at all.
All these kind people I'm referring to are Northerners AND Southerners and they mix VERY well!

My kids go to a private Catholic School in Mount Pleasant called Christ Our King/Stella Maris and they were welcomed with open arms.

I honestly don't know where these people find the time to make all these new friends after living here for so many years. I'm thinking....our social calendar is almost full for the year and we just got here! haha

The weather is AMAZING!!!!
Summer was hot when we arrived but this fall is absolutely dreamy! Perfect temperatures with the sun shining mostly every day.

I do hate the black flies (no-see-ums).....and misquitoes....but heck....I guess it can't be totally perfect!

The beaches.....well....what can I say! I am an East Coast girl....even though I am Canadian....and I love the ocean! Just something about standing on the shore and looking out.....makes you feel like you can breath!

Good luck!!! Hope this helped!!
After reading many threads from different states on this site and posting a few I have managed to get my choices down to 2. Doing the job I do and having to talk to people a lot I have over the years come out of my shell and have become talkative and more approachable being by myself and having no children I have a habit of putting a lot of time into my work. I don't drink and do the bar thing and I am not into going to church So I wonder what places there are to meet people and do things. Do you kind of see where I am coming from. I am not worried about work as I am about fitting in.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 PM

123 posts, read 571,462 times
A downtown where people actually live
Hidden courtyards in the historic district
Urban peninsula
Feels like it's off the beaten path
Different kinds of beaches
I can get anywhere in 15-20 minutes from my house
Folly Beach Fishing Pier
Waterfront Park
The Battery at dusk
Tradd & Church
The Holocaust Memorial in Marion Square
Saturday Farmer's Market
Edisto Island
Sullivans Island
Riding across the Ravenel Bridge with the top down
The sound of tree frogs
The smell of honeysuckle
Sitting under the stars in my backyard
Jestine's Kitchen
The Mustard Seed (James Is)
Sweetwater Cafe (James Is)
shrimp & grits
red rice
The Carolina moon

Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,704 times
I would like to know the same thing about Charleston..if it's a place where people are open to adding a new friend to their group. Where exactly do girls meet other girls...FOR FRIENDS! You don't exactly go to the bar to meet other girl-friends. I experienced this in Baltimore, after 2 years of not being able to meet any quality girls in their mid-late twenties who are single or just interested in making new "real" friends.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,344,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor10 View Post
I would like to know the same thing about Charleston..if it's a place where people are open to adding a new friend to their group. Where exactly do girls meet other girls...FOR FRIENDS! You don't exactly go to the bar to meet other girl-friends. I experienced this in Baltimore, after 2 years of not being able to meet any quality girls in their mid-late twenties who are single or just interested in making new "real" friends.
Church groups
Single Sex gyms (ie. Ladies Choice)

Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM

372 posts, read 809,684 times
Hey Oldtomcat thanks for keeping this thread going.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,344,326 times
I would love to take the credit but Counselor10, asked the newest question.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

47 posts, read 168,453 times
What's so good about it now when the economy is in the dumps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area