Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 05:41 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundLady View Post
LocalHero, thank you again for your further input.

Yes, I totally appreciate that you get less house in a city like Charleston vs an area like Aiken. I'm not overly concerned about size of house (in Europe, we live in shoe boxes!); closed floor plan is the main criteria for me and land/privacy for hubby. I do think however that Charleston will have the 'it' factor for me (in terms of the aspects which makes downtown areas appealing - on a personal level). Aiken it seemed however had the home (style) that I liked - but I know that Charleston would be a better 'fit'.

Asheville, NC - yes, we have visited - and thought it was lovely all round 'except' perhaps for the very obvious (to us) hippie factor - and that was enough to put us off. Otherwise, we thought it was gorgeous.

Another question if I may... we will be spending a few days in Charleston and then driving on to Savannah for a few days (first time visit to both areas) and I can't wait to see the beautiful parks there.

I'm thinking the Airbnb/Vrbo will probably suit us best and wonder, what areas should we look for/avoid (in terms of a decent/straight forward drive) into Charleston downtown (read: not overly long hold ups, roadworks etc). I think a 30min drive would be just fine - and of course, we wouldn't be driving in rush hour or anything like that.

I suppose the other consideration is the drive from the airport once we arrive. We will be using a rental car.

Again, thank you everyone who has taken the time to reply; you're very kind and I do appreciate it!
For the most part, a "closed" floor plan will be found in the older homes and serendipitously, that's where you're also more likely to find larger lot sizes. In the nicer older neighborhoods, those homes can have quite a nice feel to them and the neighborhood itself will have an established treescape. In Summerville, Asheboro would be a good example of that kind of neighborhood.

Asheville... yes, definitely a hippie vibe! I have 3 siblings living in Asheville/Weaverville and my sister is a crafter with the Folk Art Center up there. I have heard Asheville described as the "Portland of the South" though I've not been to Portland so can't say if I'd agree.

If you can stand the heat/humidity, you'll probably like both Charleston and Savannah. As for where to stay in Charleston, West Ashley, Mt Pleasant, James Island, Johns Island would all be fine as long as they're not too far out from downtown. You can check on Google maps for approximate driving times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 09:59 PM

513 posts, read 576,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundLady View Post
Hello Everyone

I must add here that after 30 years of moving around the world, hubby is somewhat weary of moving (which I do understand); whilst also being a lovely chap, he does 'not' want to live on top of neighbors (in terms of sight and sound). He would love acreage but would settle for 1/2 acre with privacy (or option to add tall trees etc). I would love for him to have the space he wants (I feel he's earned it) and it would make him immensely happy. Plus we have a gorgeous doggy who would love it also!

Areas I thought might work are 'outside' of Charleston but with say a 30min drive for me to get to downtown; Greenville, Savannah, GA?? With hubby being retired military, I think he prefers SC (in terms of taxes, his retirement pay etc etc). Neither one of us has a desire to be near the beach or anything like that. Green and land are the most important aspects I would say.

I on the other hand would happily live downtown in an area full of beautifully landscaped parks (like London), where I can walk about and where I never need to drive. I rarely drove in England. But yes, I do appreciate that the good ol' USofA is somewhat larger! Anyway, restaurants and cafe's are important to both of us (to me especially) and we both prefer non chain. Jazz and piano venues are always a plus. I love learning, and adult education is my cup of tea. I cannot stress enough the appeal for me of a proper downtown that is both lovely and charming (I do miss that !

Eastbound, just wanted to chime in. I might be totally misreading, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware, as I couldn't quite tell from your post. Greenville is not a suburb of Charleston; it is its own metro about 250 miles (4.5 hrs drive) NW of Charleston in the NW corner of the state, about 60 miles south of Asheville. To be sure, it's downtown does not rival Charleston's, but it is very beautiful it self. The downtown footprint has expanded a lot in the past decade and will continue to do so. It has a very walkable downtown with plenty to see and do, and there are endless outdoor opportunities all around with some (small) mountains right outside. The climate is still hot and humid in the summer but not quite as bad as Charleston. The fall time is usually pretty and you may even see a snowflake or two. Anyway, not really trying to pitch Greenville, just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion there. Charleston has a lot to offer and the historic downtown is pretty special.
Good luck with your move!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:38 PM

25 posts, read 21,135 times
Default Replying to LocalHero and DistortedLogic :)

Hello LocalHero
Thank you for the further info on Summerville/Asheboro; I’m taking ‘notes’ every time someone is kind enough to post so that I can check out all the places mentioned…

Thanks also for the places you mention not too far from downtown for our forthcoming stay.

Hello DistortedLogic,
Yes, I did appreciate that Greenville is some distance from Charleston (our neighbors here in Vegas are from there). Greenville does sound very, very nice but I do feel that Charleston is going to do ‘it’ for me personally. Being from England, I think it will just have the edge (perhaps ‘and then some’) in terms of historic architecture, green parks, non chain restaurants etc etc. Thank you for your input, all comments and posts are most welcome!

Last edited by EastBoundLady; 06-23-2021 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Somehow ended up with a page of gobbledygook!

Old 06-23-2021, 06:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
I’m in bedroom community to Greenville, and Greenville is terrific, but Charleston is intoxicating. I’m headed down this weekend for the observance of Carolina Day, a local holiday commemorating the spanking of the British fleet by rag tag canonneers in a makeshift fort!

Old 06-23-2021, 06:21 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
While you're looking, I'd also visit Columbus, GA. Home of Ft. Benning, AFLAC, Synovus Bank, Total Systems (a Global Payments company), WC Bradley, etc..

www.alwaysuptown.com

www.visitcolumbusga.com

Old 06-24-2021, 06:58 AM

396 posts, read 417,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
While you're looking, I'd also visit Columbus, GA. Home of Ft. Benning, AFLAC, Synovus Bank, Total Systems (a Global Payments company), WC Bradley, etc..

www.alwaysuptown.com

www.visitcolumbusga.com
No. Columbus is a hole. Like Macon on steriods.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:22 PM

606 posts, read 730,728 times
Sounds like you're describing Tennessee or the Texas hill country to me.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I’m in bedroom community to Greenville, and Greenville is terrific, but Charleston is intoxicating. I’m headed down this weekend for the observance of Carolina Day, a local holiday commemorating the spanking of the British fleet by rag tag canonneers in a makeshift fort!

Hello McKee,

I realize I'm a tad late but, I hope you've had a wonderful time this weekend 'commemorating the spanking of the British fleet'! Enjoy, and have one for me!

Old 06-27-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post

www.alwaysuptown.com

www.visitcolumbusga.com

Hello Columbusboy,
Thank you for this, I always appreciate recommendations And in fact, I did take a quick peek at Columbus, GA on realtor.com and I have to say, there was one gorgeous home on there, with beautiful traditional wood decor and a rather nice piece of land outside. Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
No. Columbus is a hole. Like Macon on steriods.

Hello Burrito,
Many thanks for sharing I do appreciate everyone's comments and personal points of view, especially since I am in no way familiar with the area at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area