Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 AM

22 posts, read 44,108 times

Advertisements

Potentially moving to Charleston in November for my career. The states I've lived in are all northern and I developed a passion for hockey while living in Minnesota. I'd like to continue playing in an adult, non-checking, league if I move down here (I'm 25). I see that there's the Carolina Ice Palace near Goose Creek that has several leagues. Anyone here have experience there? Is there a hockey fan-base in Charleston? How's the atmosphere at Stingrays games?

I'll be taking a visit into Charleston sometime this fall prior to my move to check out the people and places before I make my decision. So I'll be roaming the forums in the meantime and will surely have more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
We are originally Canadians who moved to the southeast in 1997. Hockey is second nature and we chose our first home in the Atlanta area based on the location of the ice rink -- so you know hockey is important.

My husband plays in an over 35 league with 'no checking'. There are other leagues for recrational participation with varying levels of participation.

We've been to a couple of Stingray games. They do a great job of entertaining the crowds and the hockey is 'okay'. At one time the Stingrays had a strong presence in the East Coast Hockey League but lately it's hit or miss with the quality of the hockey at the games.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM

506 posts, read 1,026,731 times
Default Carolina Ice Palace Adult Hockey Leagues

There are four adult leagues at the Ice Palace, A/B, C, D and Over 35. They are all non-checking leagues. Here's a link to their contact page:

Carolina Ice Palace Adult Hockey League - (North Charleston, SC) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Ha, I'm actually considering living close to the Ice Palace just because of the hockey. The coliseum is just a short jaunt from work, so no problem there. I'll definitely check out the pick up games, but it would be helpful to know the relative skill level of the leagues. I've played for 15 years, but not college, so I'm good, but not that good.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM

The skill level varies and I think if you go to the website and get in contact with the reps from the various levels you will find the level for you.

We live in Mt. Pleasant and my husband drives to the rink once -- sometimes twice a week. It's not that big of a deal.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:26 PM

506 posts, read 1,026,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrjr View Post
Ha, I'm actually considering living close to the Ice Palace just because of the hockey. The coliseum is just a short jaunt from work, so no problem there. I'll definitely check out the pick up games, but it would be helpful to know the relative skill level of the leagues. I've played for 15 years, but not college, so I'm good, but not that good.
The area right around the Ice Palace is predominantly commercial. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in the surrounding areas though. You will see some posts on here saying to avoid North Charleston and yes, there are parts of North Charleston you will want to avoid. There are many nice areas to live in North Charleston, Hanahan, Summerville and Goose Creek and they are all relatively close to the Ice Palace. You really need to see for yourself.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Yep, that's why I'm planning a trip down there. Right now I'm looking at West Ashley, North Charleston around Ashley Phosphate and north, Hanahan, and Goose Creek. Anywhere I go the commute is going to be shorter than what I have now, so just need to pick out the right place. I'd be moving from St. Louis, so I know the parts thing very well.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,299,741 times
Though I live up in the upstate, I share your passion for and playing hockey.

If you are ever in upstate South Carolina, Greenville County to be specific, do give the Pavilion a visit.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM

846 posts, read 1,799,973 times
The Stingrays have a good atmosphere at most of their games; but sometimes the crowds are small (usually the only times they get more than 3-4K are weekend games). Their season ticket holders though are really good fans.

There's a wide mix of fans around the Charleston area. You'll see lots of Blackhawks, Bruins, Penguins, Hurricanes, and Sabres fans, and I've seen folks from most of the other East Coast teams around.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 PM

And even Leaf Fans -- or Canuck Fans or Jet Fans.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area