Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 AM

107 posts, read 216,963 times

Advertisements

I am trying to plan a vacation for my husband and me to Charleston. We have never been to this area before. We will probably be going the first or second week of October. (Trying to miss the summer heat!)

Do you have any suggestions on:
where to stay?
what attractions to see?
good restaurants?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,266 times
Really depends upon what your price point is..we can suggest nice inns for $200/night or beautiful hotels for $600/night. Do you want to stay right in the downtown area, on the water, etc. There are SO many amazing restaurants in Charleston (Peninsula Grill, Halls Chophouse, High Cotton, etc)...are you looking for a restaurant that is an upscale southern experience? Seafood? Steak? As far as attractions, I always suggest either a carriage or trolly tour. I always bring my guests on the carriage tours because there is so much to learn and see. Beware that the carriage tour is a lottery system when you get on (meaning, you are not guaranteed which section of the city you'll be seeing) and there are a few
different tours...so what you'll see on that tour, keep in mind there is lots more to see.
There are walking maps available that will help you. It is the Holy City with over 400 places of worship, so that is another tour you may want to think about..or discover on your own. I'm a big fan of going to the areas plantations. Magnolia Plantation is gorgeous..like
looking into a Monet painting..but check out their website first to see what's in bloom then. Belle Hall Plantation and Middleton Place are also great to visit..all have websites and directions, so it really depends on what you would like to learn and see. Other suggestions: Harbor tours, Patriots Point, a drive to beautiful Kiawah Island (about 25+ minutes away). Also, go to the rooftop bar at The Market Pavilion hotel... Beautiful view of the city (and great mojitos)!!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Charleston is not very big. You can easily get around with a car. I suggest you consider staying downtown or across the bridge in Mount Pleasant. MTP will be 15 minutes away from downtown and close to all attractions.

Sleep Inns can vary quite a bit but the one in MTP at the foot of the bridge is just a few years old and in great shape. We stay there when we visit Charleston.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Bring sunscreen... lots of it. Downtown is easily walkable - your personal fitness is the only limitation.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Need your target comfort zone: i.e. $59 a night or $259? Walk about or ride around? Water view or historic? Breakfast included or FOODIE ...?

Love to help ya when we know what you're comfortable with ... best vacation ever coming right up!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 AM

107 posts, read 216,963 times
Thanks for the responses!

As for a hotel - a mid-range hotel would be good for us, say around $100 a night. It wouldn't have to be right in the historic district. If there are parking garages available downtown, we could drive in. For us, a hotel is good if it is clean, safe, comfortable, quiet, and has a nice breakfast.

Restaurants - something with the local southern specialties for evening meals. For lunch, something quick and fun. We both like seafood.

I'd definitely like to see the Plantations and Historic Homes - at least a few of them.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Lily55; 06-03-2013 at 02:56 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,266 times
Charleston downtown is pricey..especially during the summer. The Andrew Pickney Inn and Kings Grant are mid to lower range and they run about $180-$200/night. Best to stay outside of downtown In Mt. Pleasant. You may be able to find something there for low to mid $100's. I suggest booking soon. I had company coming into town 3 weeks ago. I started the hotel search 2 weeks before that. Not a room to be found anywhere! I don't think you'll have that much trouble, but I'm not sure when your vacation plans are.

Note: I just checked Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant for mid week, end of June...$229/night.

Suggestion: sniqueaway has a great website that often has great specials for accommodations in Charleston. Check that out and you may find a great hotel at a great price!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 15,735 times
Here's my solution... Stay in Mount Pleasant at Charleston Habor Resort and Marina in Mount Pleasant. It's on the water, you see Charleston from your room, but you aren't paying the crazy downtown Charleston rates. You can stay there for less than $200 a night in the fall if you look on discount sites such as Hotels.com or Priceline. Mount Pleasant is more like 5 minutes from downtown, but you can easily bike to the beach from Mt. P or ride to a nearby restaurant for lunch. It's a little more suburban over here, but you're really close to downtown for when you want to go over and do all that stuff. You can also take the Lowcountry Loop Trolly to downtown for nothing.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,612 times
Red roof inn mp is 78 avg night for that week
Hampton inn mp is showing 103
Both on Expedia

We've always done good with Hampton inns

Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,781 times
For best rates call and ask for a sales person. Internet is NOT the lowest rate unless you use Priceline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area