Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM

11 posts, read 11,567 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this seems silly, but moving into a rental on Folly Beach and given the amount of trees around, I'm taking a gander there's a lot of bugs. Part of the deal, I know, but wondering if anyone from the area can give me tips on bug proofing the best I can before I move myself and my dog in? Anything I can spray or do to keep the majority out. I know the deal about food crumbs and open food, but I just found some bug (looked like a box elder on steroids?) at my current place and it wasn't because of food and there's not even one open window so Lord knows where it got in.

Anyhow, any tips on sprays, bombs, WMD, would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help all have given already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,353,970 times
There is NO Way to Bug Proof your home.

You can get it treated so that if they make it inside they will be dead in short order but they will still get in...

Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM

I understand I can't keep them all out, but any suggestions on things that will help repel them. I've had success with keeping away spiders with peppermint oil in a place that attracted spiders, so I thought there may be things to help keep some of them at bay.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,969,239 times
...really big vacuum bag...

Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,289,382 times
We use this
Spectracide, Gallon, Ready To Use, Bug Stop Home Insect

You can get it at lowes

Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Thanks, Robynn! That was more along the lines of what I was looking for!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,598,616 times
Keep a can of hairspray on hand. This is my new trick. You spray the monster roaches with it and it gives you enough time to kill them because they will drop and their legs are sticky.

When I first moved in I put packing tape on every hole that I saw where anything could get in, but OTC is right, you will get some sort of bug at some point. I was chasing a monster roach one day and I saw it go under the door to go outside, and I have the tiniest gap under the door. You can't even see light through it. Stupid me decided I would hit its little feelers, or whatever they are, that were still on the inside. It decided it wanted to come back in.

I would ask your landlord if they spray for bugs. We get sprayed on the inside once a month here and I think it might be quarterly on the outside. Also keep some sort of spray on hand (I use Home Defense). The bugs I have seen the most are palmetto bugs. I have only seen a couple of spiders in the house.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM

662 posts, read 1,413,124 times
I use the Home defense spray inside and outside too. It does a good job.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks again for the info. I did order quite a few bug sprays and such, so that should help in between pest sprays. They do spray quarterly, maybe if I spray weekly or so that should help inside. Any idea if there are more or less bugs the closer to the beach, or about the same? Right now I'm inland and I've seen it all, so wondering if I should expect about the same.

I saw these large armored bugs with claw type appendages crawling out of some mud in a creek nearby, anyone know what these are? I was staring at them for about 15 minutes trying to get a closer look but they were pretty far away.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,682,506 times
Tiny crabs, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area