Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM

103 posts, read 325,822 times

Advertisements

I am born an raised in charleston sc (downtown, never lived in any other place besides (literaly) downtown charleston and im ready to leave the downtown area. I've alway loved the idea of living in mt. Pleasant. Right now I'm looking at buying a house and my budget is 500k. I visited Brickyard Plantation and feel in love with it, I also visited dunes west, and Hamlin but I liked Brickyard the most. Can anyone give me and idea of how the community is. I also looked at Coosaw Creek Country Club based on the fact that you can get more for your money. I haven't visited yet but they seem to have some very nice houses. I would really like someone who lives here to give me some input about living out there because I never really go out to Summerville or goose creek. I'm just looking for some in put form people who live at either. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
If you're used to living downtown, you probably would hate living so far away in Summerville.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:50 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,861 times
[SIZE=1]Coosaw is a beautiful subdivision and is actually in North Charleston approximately 20 miles from downtown. The area has a lot to offer with lots of restaurants and shopping neatrby. The area is experiencing another growth spurt and you can bet home prices are beginning to rise again.

Coosaw Creek is a country club community with extensive amenities including a fabulous restaurant, golf course, tennis courts and Olympic swimming pool. There is a $4,500 equity contribution required for all new owners in Coosaw Creek and full country club membership is required for the community. You can call Karen at the clubhouse for more details on membership if you like. 843-767-9000.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 PM

209 posts, read 534,016 times
I live very near Coosaw and considered some houses there but decided I didn't want a gated-community. I like that I'm near the Northwoods Mall/Rives Ave shopping area, the airport and the outlet mall, too. To West Ashley (Citadel Mall area) is about 20 minutes, and downtown Charleston is about 25 minutes. I frequently go to Trader Joes or Belle Hall area of Mt. P and don't think it's a very far distance. The traffic isn't awful, but is bound to get a little worse as they build a Harris Teeter and other shopping by the Lowe's on Dorchester Road, as well as the new North Charleston park just down from there.

Dorchester County has good schools overall, comparatively... even if that's not a consideration for you currently it can be for resale. Coosaw is currently zoned for Eagle Nest Elementary, River Oak Middle, and Fort Dorchester HS. FDHS is less than a mile from the neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,538 times
I'd recommend either, as great neighborhoods. But if you're preferring to stay closer to downtown and/or the beaches, Brickyard should win out 9 times out of 10. It's always been one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's just so well-designed.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,617 times
I liked Brickyard also. The only problem I have is that most of those homes were build in the early to mid 90's. I basically liked this area for it's mature landscaping, trees, and well laid out roads/paths. But I have to remind myself you can't judge a neighborhood from it's exterior appearance.

Coming from a similar neighborhood built in the mid 90's (some near 20 yrs old) .. we appear well kept on the outside (esp after all our roofs were replaced thanks to Irene) but I know the real story. Prior to Irene, our roofs were all in need of replacement. Most of our heating/cooling systems, duct systems, water heaters are "aged" and need replacing.

Most of the interiors are going to be dated and in need of major revamping. Those that have been updated are going to be priced higher and still may need new roofs and heating systems... $$$$ The ones that haven't been updated will need $$$$ to get modernized.

And that's a major problem I have with Brickyard Plantation.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I liked Brickyard also. The only problem I have is that most of those homes were build in the early to mid 90's. I basically liked this area for it's mature landscaping, trees, and well laid out roads/paths. But I have to remind myself you can't judge a neighborhood from it's exterior appearance.

Coming from a similar neighborhood built in the mid 90's (some near 20 yrs old) .. we appear well kept on the outside (esp after all our roofs were replaced thanks to Irene) but I know the real story. Prior to Irene, our roofs were all in need of replacement. Most of our heating/cooling systems, duct systems, water heaters are "aged" and need replacing.

Most of the interiors are going to be dated and in need of major revamping. Those that have been updated are going to be priced higher and still may need new roofs and heating systems... $$$$ The ones that haven't been updated will need $$$$ to get modernized.

And that's a major problem I have with Brickyard Plantation.
I live in Brickyard. I would say most of the homes have been updated based on what I've seen in the last few years. New roofs, HVAC, etc. These tract builders, and that would include Dunes West, Hamlin, etc, use some of the cheapest material and it just doesn't last. Ah well, I guess if you buy there and everything is updated, it's great. But if I were to buy again in Brickyard, I would check the siding (HUGE issue - some of the houses had bad siding and had to be replaced and that's not cheap!!), the HVAC age, and the roof. Those are the most common items that need replacing in these houses.

As to the neighborhood itself, one of the best features, in my opinion, is the mature landscaping and feel. Plenty of trees on the lots. Great walking trails and amenities (tennis courts, 2 pools, trails). My husband's favorite feature is the private boat ramp on Horlbeck Creek. It really is a nice ramp with 4' at low tide. There's also a boatyard that costs about $160 per year to store your boat or boats if you're a fanatic like my husband. Usual HOA antics. They're strict, you always have that one guy that loves to complain etc. Houses are kept up very nice. Lots of kids. Very safe.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,507 times
Brickyard is in my top three favorite neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant. The only reason we ended up in Charleston National instead was we wanted our kids to be able to walk to school since the bus system is such a nightmare here. It didn't hurt that we got a terrific deal on a short sale either.
I can't comment on the other neighborhood the OP asked about since I have never seen it, but Brickyard is really lovely.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
I have lived in Coosaw Creek for almost 14 years so I believe I am in a position to project a close opinion on the neighborhood. When we first arrived, Coosaw was owned by a developer who once all the lots were sold opted to move on to another venture. The homeowners opted to buy the club and all its wonderful amenities All the homes in Coosaw are custom built homes, not tract housing. It is a gated golf community and Country Club. I have lived in several communities over the years in the Midwest and East Coast and believe Coosaw takes the prize for its overall amenities and diverse group of people from all races, creeds and ages. It is a close knit community that welcomes you almost immediately with open arms and stands ready to help in a time of need. The lawns are well manicured and the HOA oversight insures that the community maintains the highest level of decor. Coosaw golf is phenomenal and for the non golfers, there are tennis and pickle ball courts, and a beautiful swimming pool. One of the features I love about Coosaw is that it has individuals of all ages, including young families with children. Everyone who opts to live in Coosaw is automatically a Country Club member with access to unlimited golf, tennis, swimming pool and club house activities. The club house restaurant provides a variety of dining options six days a week. As with living in any Country Club environment, there are club and HOA fees but I find Coosaw's fees to be quite reasonable given all the wonderful amenities. I love the easy access to Charleston airport and Tanger Outlets as well as grocery stores and restaurants. We love our life here in Coosaw and would highly recommend it to anyone. I feel like we live in paradise and are on vacation 365 days a year!

Old 10-21-2016, 03:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Sounds like somebody's got a house for sale in Coosaw Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area