Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 PM

469 posts, read 892,482 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm in Charleston visiting my son right now and one of the things he told me is that he was still looking for some kind of a diner like what we've got at home. Seems like most of these places have Greek owners, and they all have the same kind of extensive menu - some sandwiches - and then their specials are some kind of meat and 2 vegetables. The selection changes daily - and of course, mac and cheese is a vegetable as any respectable place with Southern foods would have it. He said every time he find something that he thinks might be a diner - it's more fancy than what he wants. Usually the prices on these meat and 2 vegetables plates might be in the $6 to $7 range - although I know prices can change. He was very specific wanting to find something in the West Ashley area. Most of these places will also have a nice down home breakfast as well - nothing fancy, just eggs, grits (or hash browns or homefries), toast or biscuits, and meat. Does anyone have any suggestions for him? Does have to be the same place for each meal.

And he's also having trouble finding an authentic Mexican restaurant. He's tried 5 places so far and he said they were either smothered in beans or cheese. He's looking for a place where someone from Mexican will think it tastes like home. We have those kinds of places that smother in cheese as well, but we've also got the places with the clean, fresh tasting authentic tacos where they use double soft corn tortillas with meat in it and it's only garnished with onions and cilantro. Again, he'd prefer West Ashely, but he'd probably be willing to travel for that one.

Thanks for the help if you can think of someplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,350,710 times
Santini's in Summerville and down town for Mex, no real diners around here...

Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks - will tell him about Santini's

Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,288,567 times
My dh suggests Boulevard Diner or Trotters

Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM

I googled a place called Alex's Restaurant in North Charleston (with locations in Summerville so OTC probably knows it and Goose Creek). The photos of the menu items look like what he might be looking for. Plain and nondescript. Anybody know that one.

And I'll google Boulevard and Trotters.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Alex's is a real greasy spoon type place but not a true diner, like I grew up with in S. Jersey...

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM

We left his place today and for lunch I almost suggested we try that place. He took us to California Dreaming though - I'd been to one before in Columbia over 20 years ago and told him it was delicious then and that even though it was a chain, it started in Charleston so he'd been once. All 4 of us in our family loved what we had (not suggesting though that California Dreaming is anyplace like what this thread was looking for). Oh - and a clarification on the Mexican place. He said he's found plenty of places with authentic tacos, but he'd like to find a place like one we have here where everything on the menu is authentic. No luck yet, but he's looking.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM

246 posts, read 519,351 times
Is Santini's in Summerville still open? I never see any cars there...

Most of the Mexican restaurants I seem to go to all taste the same. Recently tried Taco Boy in Folly Beach and was very impressed. They have the double soft corn tortillas mentioned in this thread. Of course, it is peak season on the island, so it is crowded. We went for lunch mid-week, it was full, but we didn't have to wait. Everything we had on two trips there was excellent. Will return for sure.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM

It's Santi's and I haven't been by there in a while, I will check it out tomorrow, I will be right next door...

Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,662,105 times
Rio Grande West Ashley for Mex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area