Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times

Advertisements

Since buying my home in 2009, I have been in the habit of occasionally setting off bug bombs in the house. I do it every 3-4 months and haven't had any major infestations. I have also sprayed all doorways and windows with bug barrier.

HOWEVER, next week I am making a trip to Florence to meet a rescue dog who will more than likely come home with me that day. Even following all precautions, I can smell the insecticide and cough a bit when the fogging is complete. I'd rather not get the dog sick if I can avoid it.

Can anyone recommend any good products that do a good job of keeping pests out without endangering pets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,083 times
We use bug stop by spectracide. We do not bomb. You just spray it around the perimeter inside and out...wait til it's dry to let the dog run around..

Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,183,203 times
I wouldn't bomb as a form of prevention. It seems like that would be very toxic.

If I were you, I'd go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a spray. Then just spray the borders around your floors, windows, and doors. We pay a guy to come in every 3-4 months (I think it is 60 each time). He also does termite. I'm almost more worried about termites than the other creepy crawlies. I think termite is done every year or every two years. Who am I kidding....I hate all bugs.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times
I may call around and see if I can find someone to come in and do it. Might end up being easier in the long run plus it would be great if they handle termites as well. I haven't got termites now but I'd rather not have to have them dealt with in the future...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,448,783 times
We have a 1-yr.-old puppy and a cat and we also have someone come in quarterly (every 3 months). They do not put any insecticide in the house....it's all done outside...around the perimeter of the house, etc. It's $63 each time they come out. We have had no problems at all with any bugs. However, if we see any after they treat, they will come out and retreat for no additional cost. One more thing....the price of the treatment depends on the size of your house/property.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,641,962 times
Another thing that helps is a very clean house. If the bugs dont have anything to eat,,,,there wont be many...or any at all

Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM

171 posts, read 305,409 times
the bug bombs only work when they make direct contact, in other words they are pretty much a complete waste of time and money.
go to tractor supply and get a product called 'wisdom tc' buy a one gallon pump sprayer and follow the directions to the letter.
works AMAZINGLY against all bugs and fleas, re apply as necessary.
the 1 liter bottle makes something like 500 gallons so its actually way cheaper than those pointless sprays and aerosols that the dept stores sell.
BTW, its completely harmless to your pets and kids.
I got sold on the stuff last year when my shop got a nasty flea infestation that the bug companies wanted $500 to get rid of and they said there would be no guarantee of success.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM

171 posts, read 305,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
Another thing that helps is a very clean house. If the bugs dont have anything to eat,,,,there wont be many...or any at all
clean house will of course help but the statement in itself is not entirely true.
Palmetto bugs will come in no matter how clean your place is and German/Asian roaches live near moisture..ie, kitchen/bath/laundry areas.
They do not require food scraps to exist as they can feast on each others rotting carcasses, organic matter and even your drywall.
such foul little creatures they are

Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
clean house will of course help but the statement in itself is not entirely true.
Palmetto bugs will come in no matter how clean your place is and German/Asian roaches live near moisture..ie, kitchen/bath/laundry areas.
They do not require food scraps to exist as they can feast on each others rotting carcasses, organic matter and even your drywall.
such foul little creatures they are
Have to agree w Rick on this... Messiness I.e. crumbs etc attracts roaches...once they are in they will even feast on book glue but keep a clean house and they will stay away. We had ONE in four years.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,033,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Have to agree w Rick on this... Messiness I.e. crumbs etc attracts roaches...once they are in they will even feast on book glue but keep a clean house and they will stay away. We had ONE in four years.
Nope, not with Palmetto bugs. They come in regardless of how clean or messy you are. The amount of rain you have can impact whether you have Palmetto bugs coming in or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area