Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 58,943 times

Advertisements

I am in my 30's/single and am going to be coming to both SC and NC to look around to possibly relocate. I work from home so a job is not an issue. I have heard Mt Pleasant is a nice area and I am also looking at Cary in NC. I am living in Florida now. My reason for the move is the long almost 7 month summers here. I have a painful nerve condition which is flared up by extremes. I know SC has hot/humid summers but they are not as long as FL and I have heard the humidity is not as bad. I am hoping to rent a home and it seems that NC/SC is more affordable as well then South FL. I just like an area near shops and restaurants.Also as safe as possible. I am not a beach person or into night life. Any thoughts or direction is appreciated. Do you feel if someone is sensitive to weather these NC or SC areas would be better? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
If you liking shopping more and do not like the beach I would go with Cary. And if you are also not into nightlife you might check out Charlotte as well. The only downside is those two areas can get colder than Charleston (but not cold by most non-Southerner's standards.)

Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Also, Greenville, SC might be a good fit.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Thank you both. I heard Greenville is nice but have been looking up crime index and it seemed to have more crime. Greenville was only 2 degrees different too in temps then Cary.So does Greenville and Cary have similar weather?Like I just saw your response on my other thread and when Ralieg area which I am assuming Cary got the snow too that you stated did Greenville get 8 inches as well or just the dusting? Are there any other areas you think would be better?I really appreciate everyones help.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 PM

If you are not into the beach, I'm not sure Mt. Pleasant is worth the extra humidity and/or heat, although it is lovely.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
I live in Mt. Pleasant, SC & visit Cary, NC every month now that 2 of my siblings are raising their families there. If Cary had an ocean, I'd be there & visit Charleston. Cary is a nice suburb of the small & interesting city of Raleigh. And it's DANG cheaper than Mt.P! Don't get me wrong, Mt. P & Charleston are beautiful, very beautiful. Cary is "forested", pretty trees, in the 27511 zip, which is the older settled section. So experience each & find your own new home.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki1 View Post
I am in my 30's/single and am going to be coming to both SC and NC to look around to possibly relocate. I work from home so a job is not an issue. I have heard Mt Pleasant is a nice area and I am also looking at Cary in NC. I am living in Florida now. My reason for the move is the long almost 7 month summers here. I have a painful nerve condition which is flared up by extremes. I know SC has hot/humid summers but they are not as long as FL and I have heard the humidity is not as bad. I am hoping to rent a home and it seems that NC/SC is more affordable as well then South FL. I just like an area near shops and restaurants.Also as safe as possible. I am not a beach person or into night life. Any thoughts or direction is appreciated. Do you feel if someone is sensitive to weather these NC or SC areas would be better? Thank you
Charleston has the equivalent heat and humidity as Jacksonville, FL. the humidity levels in the summer in Charleston average in the high 60% range whereas, the Raleigh/Durham area where you are looking only has humidity levels averaging in the high 50% range or a good 10% lower humidity levels. To me this is a HUGE difference in being able to tolerate the heat and humidity. Also it cools down there at night so you don't have to run your A/C 24/7 for 5 months a year.

Having lived here for three years now, I can tell you that the average 68% humidity levels makes it feel like 106 to 126 degrees on a regular basis from May to October..and it only cools down to about 90 degrees at night. This is a primary reason I am also looking to move northward as well.

Austin and San Antonio Texas only have 40% humidity levels. Although their temps get as high or higher than Charleston's, the MUCH lower humidity levels make it much more comfortable. (I have a sister who lives there.)

Mt. Pleasant is a few miles from Charleston, if these temps seems better than what you are used to than you may be able to handle the heat here but just looking at the statistics of both areas Cary, NC would win hands down in my book for summertime climate comfort.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
. Also it cools down there at night so you don't have to run your A/C 24/7 for 5 months a year.

My parents lived in Raleigh for 10 years and I lived there for 2 and I can tell you that even at night, your A/C will be turning on to keep you comfortable from May through September.

There is no sudden panacea from the Southern summer once you cross the state line into N.C. unless you are in the mountains.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Thank you all. See I am so conflicted. In NC I was looking at the winter temps for this week for ex and unless a fluke it gets cold at night with flurries/rain. In South Carolina the summers dont seem that big of an overall difference from South FL. Maybe a little but still not comfortable. In FL at least we have nice winters. I don't want to have both bad summer and winter. In FL lets say one day is 90 and another is 95 basically it makes little difference cause both are miserable with the humidity. Am I making sense? Thanks again

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Yep, that is the way it is here, pretty much hot and sticky all summer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area