Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 94,800 times

Advertisements

Hi, looks like my new apartment requires a local phone number to allow guests to gain entry into the complex. I have an out of state cell phone which won't won't work for them... I tried googling up some random search phrases but didn't come up with anything relevant.

They had recommended magic jack for me, but then I'd need to keep a computer on 24/7 apparently.

I don't plan on making outgoing calls - just need some service that's cheap (i.e. low yearly plan) that can ring my out of state cell phone (under AT&T) to let me know someone is there.

Without this, I can't get food delivery or packages to come to my place... and I looked at the most basic landline features and they all seem to be like $15-30/month...
so to recap :

* just need incoming calls without the aid/use of a computer
* hopefully forwarded to my current cell phone
* be able to talk to whomever calls my door.
* no outgoing calls needed.

I have comcast for internet, but their fees are pricey for what I need which is basically to allow people to come to my complex when needed.

Hopefully you all might have some better suggestions because I am clueless! I looked at the pre-paid cell phones here locally but then I'd have to actually use the service every few months to keep it active, buy air time which expires after a certain period plus some $1.00 daily fee for it being used to receive calls...

thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM

43,702 posts, read 44,455,186 times
How about vonage.com or idt.net ?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,010,651 times
Vonage doesn't qualify as cheap. What price are you looking for? My VOIP service is $9.99 a month.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,151,214 times
Why don't you just change your cell phone # to the local number?All carrriers can change it for a small fee.Otherwise majicjack might be a good option and can be picked up anywhere,even Radio shack.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 PM

Except for the drawback of needing your PC on 24/7

Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Yeah the pc 24/7 was the issue w/ magic jack - so there goes that...

re: changing my cell # to local, I need the number w/ out of area prefix to stay the same...

I just needed to get calls ported to answer the gate, which might be a handful of times....the building won't do out of area numbers due to long distance charges to them...

the VOIP service monthly again would be a hefty yealy fee for the main purpose as above since I'm already paying quite a bit on my mobile carrier already... of wh/ I use to make/receive all calls... except for my front gate... obviously

well... hope there are other ideas! thanks to those that did give their input already... I'm sure this will be useful for others to know too...

Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,151,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirscrubsalot View Post
Yeah the pc 24/7 was the issue w/ magic jack - so there goes that...

re: changing my cell # to local, I need the number w/ out of area prefix to stay the same...

I just needed to get calls ported to answer the gate, which might be a handful of times....the building won't do out of area numbers due to long distance charges to them...

the VOIP service monthly again would be a hefty yealy fee for the main purpose as above since I'm already paying quite a bit on my mobile carrier already... of wh/ I use to make/receive all calls... except for my front gate... obviously

well... hope there are other ideas! thanks to those that did give their input already... I'm sure this will be useful for others to know too...
What about buying a prepaid cell phone which you purchase the calling cards for to load it? You'll be using it minimally anyway.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
What about buying a prepaid cell phone which you purchase the calling cards for to load it? You'll be using it minimally anyway.
Not a bad idea there, also how about a Google Voice account, assuming they have a local number for you.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Yes those ideas on the latter seemed to be the most favorable... I've been looking to get a google voice invite for some time as this would most likely solve the problem... the pre paid cell phones like AT&T go, were one of my last options... there was some maintenance required on it though...

If anyone has a google voice invite, please hook me up I tried requesting one a while back on their invite request form but never got a response back...

Regarding the google voice, to my knowledge... you can get a local number which anyone call dial, and then you put a number for google voice to forward to... like another cell phone for example... should happen in real time too...

Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirscrubsalot View Post
Yes those ideas on the latter seemed to be the most favorable... I've been looking to get a google voice invite for some time as this would most likely solve the problem... the pre paid cell phones like AT&T go, were one of my last options... there was some maintenance required on it though...

If anyone has a google voice invite, please hook me up I tried requesting one a while back on their invite request form but never got a response back...

Regarding the google voice, to my knowledge... you can get a local number which anyone call dial, and then you put a number for google voice to forward to... like another cell phone for example... should happen in real time too...
You may or may not be able to get a local number with google voice, they don't have one for me, but PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones