Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM

4,907 posts, read 14,174,338 times

Advertisements

Currently been with Verizon since they bought All-Tel, Iphone 4 & I'm out of contract-->month to month. My Verizon reception has gone downhill in the past year. Is there a better, cheaper carrier out there where I can get the same talk/text no limit plus data plan (currently $110/month) & keep same phone till the battery goes (I have had phone since February 2010)?

Last edited by Ladywithafan; 01-11-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,684,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Currently been with Verizon since they bought All-Tel, Iphone 4 & I'm out of contract-->month to month. My Verizon reception has gone downhill in the past year. Is there a better, cheaper carrier out there where I can get the same talk/text no limit plus data plan (currently $110/month) & keep same phone till the battery goes (I have had phone since February 2010)?
Unfortunately your options are very limited as long as you want to keep the Verizon phone:

Verizon 3g phones are not technology compatible with most other carriers, and even when they are getting them moved is usually tough. I think Sprint is the only other carrier with a somewhat compatible CDMA network, so you'd have to get both Sprint and Verizon to agree to allowing the phone transfer (Verizon will have to unlock it, and Sprint will have to allow you to open an account with it).

You've likely got a grandfathered, unlimited data plan as well, so you won't be able to replace that for any price.

The only other option would be to find a Verizon MVNO (a reseller that uses Verizon's network) that would take your phone, but you won't get the unlimited data, and you'll still be on the Verizon network, so your coverage won't get any better (you might save some cash though).

I think the only real options left are Straight Talk, Selectel Wireless, Net10, and Page Plus, but they all have limitations on bringing your own device.

You can check Straight Talk here: Welcome | Straight Talk, and Net10 here:Welcome | NET10

Old 01-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Unfortunately your options are very limited as long as you want to keep the Verizon phone:

Verizon 3g phones are not technology compatible with most other carriers, and even when they are getting them moved is usually tough. I think Sprint is the only other carrier with a somewhat compatible CDMA network, so you'd have to get both Sprint and Verizon to agree to allowing the phone transfer (Verizon will have to unlock it, and Sprint will have to allow you to open an account with it).

You've likely got a grandfathered, unlimited data plan as well, so you won't be able to replace that for any price.

The only other option would be to find a Verizon MVNO (a reseller that uses Verizon's network) that would take your phone, but you won't get the unlimited data, and you'll still be on the Verizon network, so your coverage won't get any better (you might save some cash though).

I think the only real options left are Straight Talk, Selectel Wireless, Net10, and Page Plus, but they all have limitations on bringing your own device.

You can check Straight Talk here: Welcome | Straight Talk, and Net10 here:Welcome | NET10
Thank you. I feel like I want to wait to upgrade until the battery expires, otherwise, I know my options to upgrade open up but I was trying to check ATT plans & they were confusing but didn't seem any less pricey. I pay $110/month now for unlimited Text, Talk & 2GB data which is sufficient for me.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Apparently there is no cheaper phone plan for Iphone. Like I said, not upgrading to new iphone till this one dies. I'm month to month on Verizon with the unlimited text/talk & 2 gb data. Buying an unlocked iphone & going somewhere like Metro PC makes no sense once you breakdown the price of the phone per month & Metros cost and I'm right back where I started but with less reception.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,224,196 times
Dump the ijunk. Go prepaid and get a better phone in the long run, that's how you save.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,917,466 times
If you're not upgrading, just keep in mind that you're still paying every month for a paid off phone. Verizon doesn't reduce the rate after the two year contract expires.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,583,312 times
You can use Iphones on Consumer Cellular - your options are to have one that was used on AT&T, an unlocked one, or buy one through CC on their monthly plans....

Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,684,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
You can use Iphones on Consumer Cellular - your options are to have one that was used on AT&T, an unlocked one, or buy one through CC on their monthly plans....
None of which helps the OP who stated she wants to keep here Verizon iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones