Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 03:51 PM

249 posts, read 440,523 times

Advertisements

I have BH, and many issues, although today I was attended by a competent girl.

I don't use a lot cell phones, since I don't answer while driving or in a meeting... and the rest of the time I am at home... with my dear BH . I bought a Tracfone with Prepaid service. Super! 3 months with 60 minutes. More than enough, good from a foreigner point of view .

But I got some minutes and since they promote their service saying "NO surprises" (oh, yes, there are!!!), and "international calls same price as local", I thought that would be a good idea to spend them instead of using Skype. Unable to call some friends and family . After many many calls and 5 hours on the phone (fortunately BH, for free), a lady told me that the system doesn't allow to call cell phones (outside of US, Canada, and some islands), only home phones . How great!!!!! I am very very happy .

The US seem to me a third world country in the communication aspect, never had so many issues in France and Mexico (and much cheaper). Sorry, guys .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM

13 posts, read 45,733 times
You get what you pay for. Switch to a reputable carrier if you want good service.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM

For me it is really basic, to be able to call another cell phone number (anywhere) from mine. No sophistication here!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:58 PM

177 posts, read 685,529 times
We have had a Tracfone for something like 8 years and like it very much. We pay a little less than $100 per year and I use to talk to my wife when I am shopping and for emergency use if we had car trouble. It is an easy to use, inexpensive service and works as promised by Tracfone.

Tracfones Terms and Conditions of Service states:

"4. INTERNATIONAL CALLS
You may now use your TRACFONE to make international calls to landlines (including some cellular phones in some countries) at no additional charge..."

Old 02-05-2011, 04:59 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Look at the bright side....you don't have a contract.

There are a lot of heavy duty TF users here: Tracfone/Net10

Someone might be able to help you or suggest what phone/carrier will meet your needs.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
Tracfones Terms and Conditions of Service states:

"4. INTERNATIONAL CALLS
You may now use your TRACFONE to make international calls to landlines (including some cellular phones in some countries) at no additional charge..."
My mistake . But even with additional cost, it is impossible.... Thank you for pointing out. I use it only for emergencies too, and don't use all my minutes. I just wanted to spend them. I will stick to Skype then to call my daughter who doesn't have a landline, when she is not at her office.

Yeah... yeah... no contract

Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,150 times
Allwyna, I've had tracfone for a few years. For cheap, reliable, basic service I think it's hard to beat

I figure it costs me around $6.00 a month. I always get bonus minutes when adding time. Just check out fatwallet.com. ( check under tracfone codes) I usually get 30 to 60 free minutes on a 60 minute card, but last month there was a code for 100 free minutes.

My son texts me when he needs a ride. Our texts average about 3 cents because his messages are not too wordy. They usually go something like this ....'Yo' and my return says 'K'

Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Hi, At least you make me laugh, that's good . Thanks for the link, I will check it, as well as RMD's. I think it doesn't cost me THAT much, but your son lives at ear's shot, right? My daughter doesn't. I still have about 300 minutes, I will have to leave the US soon , so I wanted to chat with her and other friends.... And I don't understand, because I already sent messages there. Well... But I spent more than 5 hours on the phone with them last night and today until I talked to this supervisor who told me that (on my BH landline). It was exhausting, the noise is horrible in the background.

Thanks for the support

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,150 times
Yes, my son lives with me.

5 hours with tech support? I couldn't handle that. I would ask for a refund and failing that, I would just donate the phone to a woman's shelter.

Best wishes, safe travels and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones