Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

John Travolta’s son, autism, death, could he have been saved, liver damage and side effects of medications, seizure meds, children disability, scientology, Kawasaki’s disease

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to post this article since the other day but haven't had time. I just went back to the post, it is locked.

Some of us would like to discuss this as adults, we're curious about some things.

Riddle of John Travolta's son - could he have been saved?

Apparently John's brother Joey made a documentary Normal People Scare Me about Autism, trying to get John & Kelly to get him diagnosed.

From the article I linked to, Doctors say that there is no link between Kawasaki's and seizures.

More info has come in, it appears he used to be on medication for seizures but hasn't for a few years due to liver damage & side effects of the medications.

I'm sorry they lost their son, and am even sorrier if it could have been prevented.

My heart goes out to them, they lost their child.
In all of the footage I've seen, it's obvious they loved him a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've been wanting to post this article since the other day but haven't had time. I just went back to the post, it is locked.

Some of us would like to discuss this as adults, we're curious about some things.

Apparently John's brother Joey made a documentary Normal People Scare Me about Autism, trying to get John & Kelly to get him diagnosed.

From the article I linked to, Doctors say that there is no link between Kawasaki's and seizures.

More info has come in, it appears he used to be on medication for seizures but hasn't for a few years due to liver damage & side effects of the medications.

I'm sorry they lost their son, and am even sorrier if it could have been prevented.

I appreciate your attempt to have a rational, adult conversation regarding this subject

I think we can all agree the Travolta family loved that child tremendously!

I saw the report last night stating he had been on medication for seizures but was taken off after the medication was no longer working for him and had dangerous side effects. It was reported that the Church of Scientology will allow medication for what they consider real, physical diseases or health problems. Sounds to me like Jett's parents did all they could, and then some, to help their son live a healthy, happy life.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
I heard that about John's brother Joey too.

I grew up with John Travolta. I remember watching "Welcome Back Carter" when I was young. Then all the great movies he did back to back... Saturday Night Fever, Grease and Urban Cowboy. I've watched his career for well over 30 years. So finding out his son died was very sad.

There are a lot of questions that a lot people have though. (right or wrong). Regarding Scientology, Autism and medications. But even with the questions, I'm sure that everyone is sad that the boy died. He looked well loved and cared for. He lived a very privileged life that most children are not privy to. I believe they gave him a wonderful life. It's just very sad he had his disability (whatever that was) that eventually took his life.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
Thanks for starting another thread on this sad issue. I too feel for the family ,a loss of a child is like no other. Just yesterday I think I heard several stories of when the child died and how long was he laying there. Anyone that has seen this child in the last few days knowns that he had some special need issues. THe question is what. I have heard enough people talk to think that what they said he got a 2 was not the reasons for these issues. People can have seizures and it is common to take several different medications to control them and get the one that works. I heard several things about Scientology in the last few days. One story about a women who was denied by the church to take seizure meds and left the church to get well. Now today I hear some in that faith came out saying they allow medication. Last night I heard on Larry King a man spaking about the faith. I guess John Travolta is a 7 level what ever that is. But Larry asked why the family cremated the child so fast. I guess they don't believe in Heaven but more in reincarnation. I think in the other post that was closed people just wonder what this faith stands for because we all know that faiths that can be different from what most of us believe in can also be ones that can limit their people to not do things like medication or treatments when they believe a certain way. I like John Travolta he is a great actor and seems very nice when interviewed. With that said we know nothing about him or his family only what they want us to see. I had to wonder with the question people are asking with their family how different would everyone be if this was Tom Cruise and it was his daughter Suri that died. He has been very vocal on Scienctology and in some peoples view odd. Travolta;s have not been so out spoken about it. I 'm sure that they took very good care of their child and I think all that people are saying is did the child get the real help for the issues he had. Not that he had nannies or the home was clean but the treatment. I'm sure that we will never know and mabe we shouldn't. Sometimes with celebs they are in the public eye and they want us to know things to keep them popular and then something private happens and then they are closed off. But we as the public want to know and at times forget they are people as well. Many people have asked things about the Osmonds because they don't understand Mormans. I believe they are a great family. I think John and his family are as well. I'm sure that however long their son laid there they will asked themself where they were or what they were doing in that time slot and why they didn't check on him. They may also as many do when terrible things happen question what they believe in if that faith did limit them treatment for their son. People in the news are asking if the Travolta's will appear this weekend at the Golden Globe Awards as they were to be there. I would think they wouldn't. I have a feeling that John Travolta may not be the actor he once was, I hope not.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I think any time there is a fatal accident everyone questions if it could have been avoided especially parents who have lost a child. I also think it is human nature to believe we could have done something different to prevent the tragedy. This is all apart of the grieving process. The fact is some accidents can be avoided and others maybe not, but who can righteously make that call? If u have lost a child u have to face the loss and let the why go...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Just so very very sad....
I feel for the Travolta family..I'm sure as any parent in that situation would....they are wondering if they did the right thing as far as diagnosis, medication et al.....especially because they seem to be very loving caring parents

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
I guess the first step in trying to understand this horrific death is to understand the cause of the seizures. were they the results of the Kawasaki's disease, or autism? AFAIK, regarding the Church of Scientology (and I, like many other people, know very little about this church that isn't heavily skewed), they recognize physical ailments, but not mental/emotional ones. Kawasaki's is a physical disease, autism "isn't" (I use quotes b/c I'm viewing autism the way Scientologists may). so, it's very possible that, depending on the cause and the depth of John Travolta's, the source of the seizure may not have been treated.

there has LONG been a creepy connection between seizures/epilepsy and religion. in some religions/religious cults, seizures are not well understood or considered a real physical ailment, but instead a sign of demonic possession or something morally wrong w/ the victim. Scientology is little understood, so their views on seizures and the diseases that cause it, may not be well understood as well (I wonder if there have ever been an in depth study of it, or does the Church prohibit it)

from what I've read, Travolta was treating the seizures w/ Depakote. I've been on Depakote and it's a nasty little drug in terms of side effects (I had to be watched for any liver issues and was eventually taken off of it due to side effects). it sounds like the drug was working, but it wore off. there's no time line given about how long he may have been of the drug or if other drugs were used/considered.

IDK, maybe it's b/c he seems so genuinely nice and normal in interviews and pictures, or maybe it's because he's not as zealously outspoken about Scientology as Tom Cruise, but I'd like to think and believe that, regardless of the cause or the Church's views, John did everything he could to help his son. I don't think anyone here is implying any maliciousness on John's part (I'm sure the gossip rags are posting otherwise, but who cares about them?) and I don't believe it at all. I wouldn't even classify it as neglect since it does sound like drugs were being administered (though, IMO, if you don't treat the true cause of the symptoms, you aren't treating the disease). I think that this was just a very horrific, sad incident that, in the end, can't be blame on any one person. seizures are tough to treat, regardless of the cause, and sometimes, treatments just don't work.

one thing I do know is that I don't think anyone is going to get the full answer. look how discrete John was w/ his son when he was alive. Scientologists seem to be very reserved about matters that may make the church look sketchy, so I don't ever see John sitting down and pouring out details about his son's illness and death on Oprah or Larry King. And he shouldn't have to. yeah, I'm curious, who isn't, and I will speculate, but that's all it is, speculations w/o much solid truth

Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I appreciate your attempt to have a rational, adult conversation regarding this subject
Thanks. I don't want to trash them; it's not why I made this post.
I thought we were doing a good job talking about it; seemed like some of us wanted to continue to talk about it to understand more of what Scientology is and discuss what's in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Thanks for starting another thread on this sad issue.
For one, I couldn't imagine my life being in the public eye this way.
We were watching TV last night, everything was about their loss.
I couldn't imagine having to deal with things that are being said when you are hurting so bad.

I also wondered how Jett could be in a bathroom for that many hours without someone finding him but reality is, I go to sleep at a certain time every night and don't check on my 15 year old either; who expects something to happen? So if he did go in the bathroom at 11pm, I myself would be sleeping and might not know either.

While waiting to make this post, I did more reading; he had 2 nanny's, a baby monitor, a chime on his doors and a nanny slept 8 feet from him. About the only thing someone didn't do was follow him in the bathroom; and why should they?

Areo other parents with children that have seizures this watchful of their kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think any time there is a fatal accident everyone questions if it could have been avoided especially parents who have lost a child. I also think it is human nature to believe we could have done something different to prevent the tragedy. This is all apart of the grieving process. The fact is some accidents can be avoided and others maybe not, but who can righteously make that call? If u have lost a child u have to face the loss and let the why go...
Which is another reason for my post.
I as a parent can't be there 24/7; neither can they.
I can't imagine the guilt they will feel; and they probably will.
When my dad passed, it replayed in my head over and over. Why didn't we do this or that; the outcome would still be the same..

If he did in fact suffer side effects from medication, how do we know the outcome wouldn't be the same but later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I grew up with John Travolta. I remember watching "Welcome Back Carter" when I was young. Then all the great movies he did back to back... Saturday Night Fever, Grease and Urban Cowboy. I've watched his career for well over 30 years. So finding out his son died was very sad.

There are a lot of questions that a lot people have though. (right or wrong). Regarding Scientology, Autism and medications. But even with the questions, I'm sure that everyone is sad that the boy died. He looked well loved and cared for. He lived a very privileged life that most children are not privy to. I believe they gave him a wonderful life. It's just very sad he had his disability (whatever that was) that eventually took his life.
I told my hubby last night that a lot of people grew up with John; (he was tired about hearing it) and if you notice a lot of popular celebrities from back then are coming back in the spotlight. If this wasn't John Travolta's son, would it be as big of news as it is?

Watching the videos I've seen online, Jett seemed to always be by his parents, Ella would be in the back. They seemed to make sure he got into the car 1st, they were always holding onto him. Watching and having a son myself, there is no way my son would let me touch him like that at 15-16.

If he was Autistic, so what? There is no shame in it; and it probably provided them a different relationship with their son. Had he been like most teenagers of celebrity parents he may have been addicted to drugs and not here due to an overdose.

I do hope they will be able to find peace.
He looked like a special kid; you could see how much he loved John in the one photo they released of him kissing John's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
they recognize physical ailments, but not mental/emotional ones. Kawasaki's is a physical disease, autism "isn't" (I use quotes b/c I'm viewing autism the way Scientologists may). so, it's very possible that, depending on the cause and the depth of John Travolta's, the source of the seizure may not have been treated.
Thanks for adding what you have about Depakote & seizures.

This interests me because I know 2 boys that have been diagnosed that are the same age as him. Looking at the movies and photos, I see similarities in the boys looks, then I think back to when they were little; I look at what's out there with Jett from when he was little; doesn't look like the same little boy as is the case with the kids I know. I do think that someone such as John & Kelly could make a world of difference in finding out more about Autism.

I really don't have a set opinion on Autism/Aspergers.
I think that there is a gene, but I also think environment plays a part on whether that gene becomes active or not.

I do wish we knew more, not that it would help the kids I know (or would it?) but so that if it is genetic, my own children won't have to worry about their own children.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
I know some about Austism and I believe as parents who live with children with autism is it real. I think in the last years studies are really looking into the issue. I 'm not sure if anyone knows for sure why it happenes but the rate is going up and it is higher in boys. I know the struggles and fights that these families go through to just get their child help. Many insurances don't even cover the cost of the help. With Special needs children and we were Foster parents to many. You have to be thinking of them always for their saftey. So I see that the Travolta's did that as well. Many people can'ty afford what they did but there are many things you can do to alert a parent. I know that their faith doesn't say that Austism is a disorder I did hear that. If their son did have or not they may not because of their faith say he did. I do agree that celebs that have children with issues can really help when they talk about them openly if they want to. There are several Celebs who have children with Austism that have come out and shared their stories and fought for help for their child. I agree that we may never know what was wrong witrh Jett and I agree that John is private and will remain that. The tabliods will I'm sure come up with all they can. I wouold just remind people when they hear things where they are hearing it from. My guess next week you won't hear as much about it and the family will grieve in peace. I think the question we all need to ask ourself is why do we need to know soo much about the ceebs. THe media is one reason . They are people in to me most are messed up people. For the most part I wouldn't change places with them. Who cares if Oprah is fat or Jolee wants 20 more kids. WE all make them more than they are. They are actors and they get paid an ungodly amount of money for what they do. Many of us are teachers, nurses, doctors and many other things and I can say I don't walk on a red carpet. My carpet has dirt on it from my kids who spill everything. They are people and we are making them stars and if we are smart we might want to unstar some of them

Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I agree that there was a lot of genuine love in the family and my heart goes out to anyone who loses a family member or loved one.

However, that being said. It does not take a rocket scientist to see that there was something very wrong with the boy. Mr. Travolta went above and beyond in caring for his child and trying to make certain that he was safe at all times, but you cannot stop the wheels of fate forever. Eventually, it was going to catch up with him (Jett). It was only because his family had SO MUCH MONEY and was able to give him such extraordinary care that he survived as long as he did. Under normal circumstances, he probably would have been gone long before now.

You cannot change what is intended to happen. You can only accept and learn to deal with it. Mr. Travolta is right when he says that the time was too short but that he enjoyed his son during that time. That is the only way to look at it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities