Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 05:56 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
The worst part is that once a celebrity has it, it seems to start happening in the general population as well. For example, 20 years ago Parkinson's disease was mostly unknown. Then Michael J. Fox got it, and now we hear of it happening much too often.

I think that when celebrities tell the world they have whatever diagnosis that people who currently have symptoms that they've blown off will google it, then mention it to their doctors who diagnose them. I also think some things are considered "rare" by doctors, then it's realized it was not rare, it was more like peoples doctors were not diagnosing right.

Take Chiari Malformation (CM) and connective tissue disorder EDS (Ehlors Danlos Syndrome). Chiari Malformation was considered rare 10 years ago when in fact if you knew about it, were in Facebook groups for it, you knew that doctors were ignorant to it, telling patients they do not have it because it's rare. It started to be diagnosed more in the early 2010's due to imaging like MRI's getting better. Same with EDS. I've been there and done that with both of them, taking my daughter to doctors trying to get diagnosed but was labeled as crazy, some may have thought I had that fake illness disorder.

My hub had tonsil cancer in 2009. I was following a blog by Brett Hudson of the Hudson Brothers group from the 70's. He had tongue cancer, was told to get his affairs in order. Instead he went to Germany with Farrah for chemo and treatment. Oral cancers were somewhat rare back then unless you went to a university cancer center where the doctor saw 30 something cases a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 02:28 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think that when celebrities tell the world they have whatever diagnosis that people who currently have symptoms that they've blown off will google it, then mention it to their doctors who diagnose them. I also think some things are considered "rare" by doctors, then it's realized it was not rare, it was more like peoples doctors were not diagnosing right.

Take Chiari Malformation (CM) and connective tissue disorder EDS (Ehlors Danlos Syndrome). Chiari Malformation was considered rare 10 years ago when in fact if you knew about it, were in Facebook groups for it, you knew that doctors were ignorant to it, telling patients they do not have it because it's rare. It started to be diagnosed more in the early 2010's due to imaging like MRI's getting better. Same with EDS. I've been there and done that with both of them, taking my daughter to doctors trying to get diagnosed but was labeled as crazy, some may have thought I had that fake illness disorder.

My hub had tonsil cancer in 2009. I was following a blog by Brett Hudson of the Hudson Brothers group from the 70's. He had tongue cancer, was told to get his affairs in order. Instead he went to Germany with Farrah for chemo and treatment. Oral cancers were somewhat rare back then unless you went to a university cancer center where the doctor saw 30 something cases a week.

That also happens. Sometimes doctors don't know enough because modern medicine hasn't caught up. The blogs they read don't mention it so they don't understand what is going on with the patient. Until someone remembers something they read in an obscure text from long ago, and they are able to put 2 and 2 together.
Now that the number of older folks has expanded, the numbers of older people getting sick are also expanding. The article does a good job of explaining why there is suddenly much more people with Parkinson's than ever before.
I'm glad your hubby and daughter were finally diagnosed correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities