Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 03:46 PM

17,729 posts, read 15,502,008 times

Advertisements

They were scheduled to play here tonight, the show has been cancelled out of respect.. But I don't believe he was touring with them. Not sure if he was just sitting this one out or had 'retired'.. I had heard he was recovering from hip surgery.. Makes it seem likely a blood clot or something might be the COD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 04:10 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,129,615 times

Old 07-28-2021, 04:36 PM

953 posts, read 847,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They were scheduled to play here tonight, the show has been cancelled out of respect.
Rest in peace for the ZZ Top bassist. My thanks goes to Dusty Hill, Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard for the cool music and sexy videos to match. In addition to the legacy of music produced by the band, let it never be said that Dusty was anything other than a "Sharp Dressed Man."

Old 07-28-2021, 10:18 PM

20,911 posts, read 4,594,060 times
The Angels waiting for Dusty Hill, are sure to have plenty of "Legs" and know how to use them.

R.I.P.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:39 PM

2,140 posts, read 366,197 times
Rest in Power, Sir…

I didn’t listen to ZZ Top a whole lot (just every day for a year or so - one particular song) and I loved their well known songs. I probably would have liked more songs had I listened to them. I will now.

I have real fond memories of one ZZ Top song - La Grange. Because of my 3-4 year old daughter.

Every single day I picked her up from day care, I put her in her car seat and then I HAD to play La Grange. She loved it! She would dance to the quiet into, then rock out like a wild woman head-banger when the guitars slammed in. And she loved doing the “a-haw-haw-haw” part… she wanted it every day and it’s such a great song, I loved it too.

This loss makes me so sad but I’m so grateful for the wonderful memories ZZ Top gave me - that daily routine with them was (and is) so special to me.

Darn it and thank you so much…

Old 07-28-2021, 11:23 PM

3,323 posts, read 3,283,251 times
Driving home from the gym tonight, my husband also played La Grange in Dusty Hill’s honor.

These talented rockers are going one by one. So sad…

Old 07-28-2021, 11:43 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,810,906 times
One by one my rock gods fall. Hey Billy, say hi to Janis and Jimi for me.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:42 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,460,272 times
Oh, lord, another one. RIP.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:05 PM

17,729 posts, read 15,502,008 times
I've been trying to think what it is about ZZ Top.. I mean, they're one of the few that carried over from the 70's to the 80's with good success.. And.. Really not a big change in style. Admittedly, I haven't heard anything that they've done in the past 20 years or so.. So I can't tell for sure that the style NEVER changed..

But those Afterburner and Eliminator albums.. Those were huge back in the 80's.. That's what I am most familiar with as that was the time I was in my teens and listening to Rock/Pop of the time. and.. Still, my satellite radio stays stuck on 80's on 8 when it comes to music.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:31 AM

23,931 posts, read 33,794,801 times
Quote:
I've been trying to think what it is about ZZ Top.. I mean, they're one of the few that carried over from the 70's to the 80's with good success.. And.. Really not a big change in style. Admittedly, I haven't heard anything that they've done in the past 20 years or so.. So I can't tell for sure that the style NEVER changed..

But those Afterburner and Eliminator albums.. Those were huge back in the 80's.. That's what I am most familiar with as that was the time I was in my teens and listening to Rock/Pop of the time. and.. Still, my satellite radio stays stuck on 80's on 8 when it comes to music.

Mine is on the hair metal station. When there's nothing good on, I'll switch to the 90's, then 80's, 70's, 60's. I have a few other channels I'll go to but those 5 are my main channels.

Quote:
They were scheduled to play here tonight, the show has been cancelled out of respect.. But I don't believe he was touring with them. Not sure if he was just sitting this one out or had 'retired'.. I had heard he was recovering from hip surgery.. Makes it seem likely a blood clot or something might be the COD.

I don't know anyone that was young in 1983 when ZZ Top was played on the radio and MTV that didn't like their hit songs. They were so different then everyone else on due to their full beards.

According to the article below, he had his hip replaced a few months ago. They've been touring. When they played on July 18th, he had to sit for almost the whole show, then had to be helped off stage. He ended up back home to recover, being replaced by longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis. He was home recovering when he passed. It's not known yet if his death is related to the hip.

I know a few people who had surgery that died within months of the surgery. My neighbor had a "lady friend" (GF) that also had her hip replaced when she was 81. She passed less then 6 months later. My neighbor was staying with her. I used to tell them they should sell both their houses and buy one together but it hadn't happened yet. Her daughter who wasn't even executor of her estate, kicked him out. He loaded his car with his stuff, got home, was bringing some of it in when he missed the step, fell. He was taken away in an ambulance. I had recently moved out or I would have been helping him carry everything in.

They said he would never live alone again. While in rehab, they wanted to place a pacemaker but he refused because he was already 87. His health went into a downward spiral in the months after that. He came to my house for a month to recover. The physical therapist had told him not to have his knee operated on because it was his experience that for some reason, elderly people that had surgery often passed away within a year after it.

ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Tough Time Performing Weeks Before Death

Quote:
TMZ obtained this video from ZZ Top's last concert with Dusty -- July 18 at the Iroquois Amphitheater in Louisville, KY -- and he's clearly having a tough time performing in what would ultimately be his final gig.

As you can see, Dusty is playing bass as he sits down on a large speaker ... and we're told he was sitting like this for the entire show and had to be helped off the stage because he couldn't walk on his own.

A few days after this video, ZZ Top announced Dusty was heading back to Texas due to a hip issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities