Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Jack Warden. He was in 12 Angry Men, Here To Eternity and many other films.

One of the most well known faces, but not well known name. Good job, LL!!

Jack Warden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Grant Mitchell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Mitchell_(actor)

Old 02-22-2014, 03:52 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
One of the most well known faces, but not well known name. Good job, LL!!

Jack Warden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When I was learning about actors, I used to get mixed up with several. Among those were Jack Warden and fellow redhead James Whitmore.
James Whitmore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two other terrific character actors I sometimes mixed up were:
Edmund Gwenn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ best-known as Kris Kringle aka Santa Claus in the original "Miracle on 34th Street".
and
Cecil Kellaway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ an equally adorable fellow / I never felt that he was as disposable as Lana Turner's character did in "The Postman Always Rings Twice"; maybe if he had played it as a domineering, mean-tempered man it might have been understandable.

As time passes, I fear he becomes far too overlooked even with his Oscar wins: the ever-amazing Peter Ustinov. Right now, he's entering the scene in "The Sundowners", starring Robert Mitchum, Deborah Kerr and Michael Anderson, Jr., plus the popular Aussie actor Chips Rafferty.
Cecil Kellaway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chips Rafferty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Anderson_Jr. ~ My sister and I had such a crush on him! I'd love to see his series with Barbara Hershey again~"The Monroes".

At least Mitchum and Kerr aren't overlooked or anywhere near obscure. I certainly hope not!

Here are the last two~father and daughter, who also are in "The Sundowners":
Glynis Johns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I didn't already mention her, did I?
Mervyn Johns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
Harry Morgan is another that comes to mind. He starred in movies and tv.

Oxbow Incident
The Glen Miller Story
The Far Country
Inherit The Wind and many other movies.

Loved him in Mash and Dragnet too.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 PM

I'm always ready with some more!

Alice Drummond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I imagine that she's best-known as the frightened librarian in the opening scenes of "Ghostbusters".
Jules Munshin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ It's amazing that he isn't remembered but maybe he gets overshadowed in those MGM musicals, including being the third sailor in "On the Town" with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra.
Virginia O'Brien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ She's the very pretty girl with the deadpan delivery of songs that delighted the audiences. I think her major role was in "The Harvey Girls", demonstrating shoeing a horse while singing "Wild Wild West" in her distinctive style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Pat_O%27Malley ~ Often, he played an inebriated fellow with a distinctive Irish-tinged accent. In "The Fugitive" episode of "Twilight Zone", he was the elderly man with an ET secret.

Here's Virginia singing the very non-PC "Say We're Sweethearts Again":

Say We're Sweethearts Again - YouTube

Here's Jules singing, dancing and exploring NYC on location with Kelly and Sinatra:

New York, New York - On the Town - YouTube

Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 AM

Steve Valentine is relatively recent as a character actor, but he's already delivered some memorable characters. I hope we'll see him working steadily in those quirky roles: Steve Valentine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whenever anyone needed a bum in the alley or a hobo, they could depend on Carmen Filpi, who is probably best-remembered as the~yes~hobo Pee-wee Herman meets during his big adventure. Carmen Filpi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pee-wee's Big Adventure - The Singing Train Hobo - YouTube

It's amazing how many movies and TV shows James Hong shows up in! One day, I was rewatching "The Sand Pebbles" after not having seen it for many years. At one point, I called out, "James Hong!", recognizing him as a man seated in the corner. He just seems to be everywhere! James Hong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another prolific actor is Victor Wong, with the distinctive drooping face and a growly, expressive voice. BTW: He is NOT the Victor Wong in "King Kong" (1933). One of his best roles is in "Big Trouble in Little China", in which his adversary is portrayed by James Hong as an immortal sorcerer~an amazing role for Hong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_...ctor_born_1927)

Next is a handsome gentleman my sister and I had such a crush on for many years: James Shigeta. James Shigeta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here's the basis for the crush, seeing "Flower Drum Song" when we were very young:

You are beautiful-Flower Drum Song (1961) - YouTube

The girl is Miyoshi Umeki, who won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for "Sayonara" and was Mrs. Livingston on the TV series "The Courtship of Eddie's Father". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyoshi_Umeki

Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Paul Henreid

Paul Henreid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In 1942, Henreid also appeared in his two most important films. In Now, Voyager, he and Bette Davis created one of the screen's most imitated scenes, in which he lights two cigarettes and hands one to her. Henreid's next role was as Victor Laszlo, heroic anti-Nazi leader, in Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. In 1946, Henreid became a citizen of the United States.[4]
He made regular film appearances throughout the 1940s, and in the early 1950s began directing for both film and television. His film credits include Between Two Worlds (1944), The Spanish Main (1945), Of Human Bondage (1946), Song of Love (1947), Thief of Damascus (1952), Siren of Bagdad (1953), and Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1961). His television directorial credits include Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Maverick, Bonanza and The Big Valley. In 1964, Henreid directed Dead Ringer, which starred Bette Davis and featured, in a minor role, the director's daughter, Monika."

Old 02-23-2014, 04:16 PM

Real-life brothers Alan and Jesse Vint played on-screen brothers in the drive-in cult classic "Macon County Line", likely their sole standout roles. By the way, Max Baer, Jr.~best-known as Jethro Bodine on "The Beverly Hillbillies" TV series~not only wrote the story and screenplay but also directed and starred!

Alan Vint - IMDb
Jesse Vint - IMDb

Max Baer Jr. - IMDb ~ son of Max Baer, Sr., and nephew of Buddy Baer, both of whom were actors:
Max Baer - IMDb
Buddy Baer - IMDb ~ memorable as the former gladiator in "Quo Vadis"

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 02-23-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
Let's not forget George Kennedy.

Cool Hand Luke
The Dirty Dozen
Airport
In Harm's Way

Are just a few of the films he was in. He also starred in the tv show,"Dallas."

Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Judy Canova.........

Judy Canova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and her daughter, Diana Canova

Diana Canova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities