Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,407,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Well I for one have always found Joan Rivers' unfiltered brand of comedy hilarious. I hate shows with a premise similar to that of Fashion Police, but I watch just to catch Joan's insults.

One guy's suite badly needed ironing while on the red carpet. Joan: "His suite is wrinkled, who drove him there, Amanda Bynes? That suite is more wrinkled than Regis Philbin's scr*tum." Comments like "those pants are shinier than Randy Jackson after going up two flights of stairs." And Wynona Ryder shoplifting... I tune in specifically for Joan's attacks.
Whoops, I meant suit, not suite- as in Homewood Inn & Suites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 PM

8,344 posts, read 13,490,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Some people realize early and some people realize late. You have one life. Don't spend too much of it worrying about what other people think.
You went to a Chinese restaurant today, huh?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 AM

670 posts, read 906,439 times
I have always liked Joan Rivers and I admire her longevity in the biz, but the vitriol from peeps on this forum don't surprise me. In 1987 for one day only (it was a Friday) I answered the phones at Fox Studios in LA, it was Joan Rivers last show for them. If you remember they cancelled her show without much warning and the studio was anticipating a flood of calls, so they hired a temp for the day.

This was before the internet as we know it, so there wasn't the type of outlets there are today, however I wasn't prepared for the onslaught of vitriolic phone calls, they were vile and angry.

I guess some people just don't like her for her sarcasm...me? I love sarcasm.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:30 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
I have always liked Joan Rivers and I admire her longevity in the biz, but the vitriol from peeps on this forum don't surprise me. In 1987 for one day only (it was a Friday) I answered the phones at Fox Studios in LA, it was Joan Rivers last show for them. If you remember they cancelled her show without much warning and the studio was anticipating a flood of calls, so they hired a temp for the day.

This was before the internet as we know it, so there wasn't the type of outlets there are today, however I wasn't prepared for the onslaught of vitriolic phone calls, they were vile and angry.

I guess some people just don't like her for her sarcasm...me? I love sarcasm.
There is, to my mind, a level of viciousness that is directed towards her that goes beyond just not appreciating her sense of humor. I think she has a no holds barred attitude towards comedy and will use any situation or group in her routines that presents itself as laughable. I can appreciate her attitude. Even though I have certain beliefs and opinions I really don't mind a comedian making fun of them. I can see where they can be thought of as having a humorous quality.

I liked her show. Not great, but it held my interest. It is nice to see people, what they are like, when they are not 'on', er, performing.

I am sorry that there are so many hate filled souls in the world who cannot take fun being poked at them every now and again.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
at her age I just let her do whatever and don't give it a second thought.. Kind of like Sophia on "The Golden Girls"
Thanks, Pippy.
Yeah, at a certain age(like mine?) you should be allowed a bit of eccentricity.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
She's just an older wacky comedianne. Her longevity in the business Is impressive. I don't find her that funny though.
Correct. Lampanelli blows her out of the water. Rivers' delivery seems forced. Lampanelli sounds like she's having a conversation over coffee with you, and talking about the characters who come into the place.

The only thing funny about Joan Rivers is the exaggerated "windswept" look of all the plastic surgery she's had. It would be great to see her up close to check it out.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Correct. Lampanelli blows her out of the water. Rivers' delivery seems forced. Lampanelli sounds like she's having a conversation over coffee with you, and talking about the characters who come into the place.

The only thing funny about Joan Rivers is the exaggerated "windswept" look of all the plastic surgery she's had. It would be great to see her up close to check it out.
Oh, ugh. After seeing Lampanelli on Trump's show, I will never watch her comedy. I'm not alone in that, either. She is one of those comedians, like Rickels, who is coming from their own dysfunction. She's really in need of a good therapist. Disgusting person, all ego, aggressive and demeaning to others. Such an exaggerated sense of her own worth. Really!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM

407 posts, read 830,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
She's just an older wacky comedianne. Her longevity in the business Is impressive. I don't find her that funny though.
I agree. How long can you do the same shtick. She's like Rodney Dangerfield in that respect. Very one-dimensional and hashing the same routine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities