Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,804,975 times

Advertisements

Warren Beatty’s Daughter: The Media Is Kind and Gentle—Or Carefully Controlled

I read about this some time back; surprised it never made it into a thread here.
I think the "issue" is destroying the marriage of Beatty and Bening. Too bad. Must be hard for parents to cope with certain issues; but even worse when each parent has a different perspective.
Best wishes to them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,072,342 times
I feel for that family. The parents should not be encouraging this at all. The kid is way too young. If they hit 30 and want to change their sex, jump off a cliff, or whatever fine. But when they are barely an adult, doing something life altering is just not something a parent should condone.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
I feel for that family. The parents should not be encouraging this at all. The kid is way too young. If they hit 30 and want to change their sex, jump off a cliff, or whatever fine. But when they are barely an adult, doing something life altering is just not something a parent should condone.
does seem rather young for such a drastic issue. Apparently she has been living as a guy and calling herself Stephen for a few years.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:50 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,072,342 times
I've seen some parents be way too open minded. Like letting boyfriends spend the night, give kids condoms, let kids get tattoos, let them take drugs and or drink at home, etc. This is just wrong. A lot of times the kids change their mind like kids will do and this change has consequences that are not easily fixable. If Warren is upset I don't blame him.

Whatever happened to kids worrying about what college they were going to go to, what summer jobs they were going to get, or who's party they were going to go to? Why is a sex change part of the daily life conversation? Kids have way too much time on their hands these days.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
I remember when Kathlyn was born and Warren was apparently 'over the moon' about becoming a Dad. Hope the family can stay intact through this.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
I doubt they would have any qualms about her being lesbian, but the thought of a sex change is not to be taken lightly regardless how liberated people feel they are. This is a very pretty young girl who hasn't had enough time to sow her oats living in one gender....much less giving herself to another. She needs to find out if she is a lesbian, which is one thing, or a boy who was accidentally born into a predominantly female body, which is an entirely DIFFERENT thing.

I think people who don't live a privileged financial life have more time to think about this decision as they save up for the funds. Many times this decision can span a decade and is made with ultimate maturity. A young girl barely out of high school is nowhere near mature enough to make this life changing decision or can take into account the long term effect on her family.

So, as a parent, I would refuse to pay for it until I was sure my kid had really lived life and was totally sure of their decision.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:04 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,019,232 times
I'm not so sure this is the kind of thing a parent should pay for, especially at 18. I also thought there was years of counseling required. If not, there should be.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I doubt they would have any qualms about her being lesbian, but the thought of a sex change is not to be taken lightly regardless how liberated people feel they are. This is a very pretty young girl who hasn't had enough time to sow her oats living in one gender....much less giving herself to another. She needs to find out if she is a lesbian, which is one thing, or a boy who was accidentally born into a predominantly female body, which is an entirely DIFFERENT thing.

I think people who don't live a privileged financial life have more time to think about this decision as they save up for the funds. Many times this decision can span a decade and is made with ultimate maturity. A young girl barely out of high school is nowhere near mature enough to make this life changing decision or can take into account the long term effect on her family.

So, as a parent, I would refuse to pay for it until I was sure my kid had really lived life and was totally sure of their decision.
I like the Beattys--of course I don't know them personally.
I would think there has been much open and honest discussion of sexuality in their household.

IIRC, their daughter has dealt with these issues for a long time. It's a different world --the concern of the parents would be the same regardless of socioeconomic status--but I can only assume that Kathlyn was more 'aware' of aspects of sexuality than many others.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM

great points everyone makes. I've been reading about the ongoing situation for awhile now and the dad is really struggling with it. Seems like the marital troubles became very prominent when Annette Bening stepped up to say she would pay for the operation.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
I agree, she's absolutely too young for this. Being 18 is being a baby. Supporting your children is one thing, but paying their way to do something irrevocable to their own body at this age is pretty extreme. Teenagers are always absolutely sure of what they want...and then four years later do a 180. Like someone else said, if she's thirty, or even twenty-five, it'd be a different story.

Let her try living on her own, with no help from mom or dad - no safety net. I wouldn't expect her to change her mind, but she might learn patience. It just all seems to indulgent to me seeing as how she is so young.

I feel for Warren Beatty, as well as his wife and daughter. It's a very difficult situation for all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities