Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM

494 posts, read 890,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The money is not being thrown away on the feral cats. The OP is helping the cats. Since you're in San Diego, maybe you'd like to volunteer with the Feral Cat Coalition. Then you'll see how much "money" is "thrown" away. Between donations and volunteers, the feral cats in San Diego are being helped as much as possible.

But I guess you're not a cat lover.
I'm afraid the charity that I give goes to humans with few exceptions. But I guess you're not a human lover.

Not only that but the entire point of my post whooshed over your head. There are so many worthy, needy, non-feral, wonderful pets waiting hopelessly on death row. If one is determined to help animals, I think that's a much better place to start than with feral cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM

622 posts, read 1,725,347 times
The sad thing is many of those "feral cats" have better living standards then pet cats. They dont get declawed, eat garbage pet foods unless they choose, love up to a human and get dumped at a shelter because of various reasons. They dont become lazy fat bobs with nothing to do all day but eat and sleep.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I'm afraid the charity that I give goes to humans with few exceptions. But I guess you're not a human lover.

Not only that but the entire point of my post whooshed over your head. There are so many worthy, needy, non-feral, wonderful pets waiting hopelessly on death row. If one is determined to help animals, I think that's a much better place to start than with feral cats.

That has nothing to do with it. You shouldn't post a comment like that on a CATS forum. I'm sure you knew what kind of comments that you'd get.

I donate clothes and samples of toiletries that I get to Rachel's House (women's shelter). I just donated ten boxes of desinger clothes that were given to just for that reason. And I also feed the outside cats. If there were feral cats where I live, I'd be feeding them too.

That should satisfy your comment about me not being a human lover.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM

i think that statement was very rude.

its good you care moved

Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
Just a quick update. They seem to be doing well. The shy one actually had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday and is now less skittish and more friendly than the larger/older one who doesn't seem scared but is not interested in being scratched (well except at 0400) or petted etc.
They both have really loose stool, googling has lead me to believe this is fairly common.
My biggest issue now is that I've only had one offer on a home. Someone in the building where I work that I don't know. He has two twin girls who are 4 who want kittens. He mentioned they gave away their lab when they had the girls. I both understand that and don't understand it at the same time. I tried to get a sense of how committed a pet owner they would be which is hard without people feeling judged. He did say he would probably declaw because they have leather furniture and nice woodwork.
Honestly the ferals seem pretty happy as long as they have someone like me handing out food and water and a little winter shelter (insulated rubbermaid boxes). THe responsibility of finding a GOOD home is just damn near impossible, even free and already neutered.

Having starved all the other ferals for 3-4 days I finally got the Mother yesterday and she was spayed today. Now if I can get the kitten, just as savvy as Mom and the Dad I'll have everyone till someone new shows up.

As for helping ferals vs. pets vs. whatever. I figure there's enough misery for everyone to have their niche. No sense in judging them. I've a lot of people say why don't you help kids. My response is why don't you help the elderly? Or disabled? Or......? Hey if someone wants to help people I'm all for it. Helping is good whatever it is. I'm not good at people, I'm better with animals so I play to my strengths. Plenty to go around.

And no, the human animal is not my favorite species. So?

Last edited by Giesela; 06-10-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Just a quick update. They seem to be doing well. The shy one actually had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday and is now less skittish and more friendly than the larger/older one who doesn't seem scared but is not interested in being scratched (well except at 0400) or petted etc.
They both have really loose stool, googling has lead me to believe this is fairly common.
My biggest issue now is that I've only had one offer on a home. Someone in the building where I work that I don't know. He has two twin girls who are 4 who want kittens. He mentioned they gave away their lab when they had the girls. I both understand that and don't understand it at the same time. I tried to get a sense of how committed a pet owner they would be which is hard without people feeling judged. He did say he would probably declaw because they have leather furniture and nice woodwork.
Honestly the ferals seem pretty happy as long as they have someone like me handing out food and water and a little winter shelter (insulated rubbermaid boxes). THe responsibility of finding a GOOD home is just damn near impossible, even free and already neutered.

Having starved all the other ferals for 3-4 days I finally got the Mother yesterday and she was spayed today. Now if I can get the kitten, just as savvy as Mom and the Dad I'll have everyone till someone new shows up.

As for helping ferals vs. pets vs. whatever. I figure there's enough misery for everyone to have their niche. No sense in judging them. I've a lot of people say why don't you help kids. My response is why don't you help the elderly? Or disabled? Or......? Hey if someone wants to help people I'm all for it. Helping is good whatever it is. I'm not good at people, I'm better with animals so I play to my strengths. Plenty to go around.

Go with your gut feeling on this.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Putting them down may sadly be kinder then giving them to homes where they would be declawed and or abused. Kids will be kids and in life there are no easy answers,.

One thing you could do is release them back into the wild after they get altered as in desexed not declawed..

Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
And once more, Panther the alleged cat lover, encourages someone to kill a perfectly healthy animal.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I know darn well I'll get jumped for what I'm going to say here but...

...why are you doing this? You're stressing yourself out and putting out lots of money for a lost cause. Your actions will not prevent people from dumping their pets. I don't think animals should be abused or mistreated, but when it comes down to it, they're just feral cats. There are a lot better causes to stress out over and better places to throw away money than on feral cats.
Many of us don't consider helping a living creature a "lost cause" or believe we're "throwing away money" when we feed, vet, or spay/neuter a feral cat. I love ALL cats (all dogs, too...) and will help every single one the universe sends my way. We all (hopefully) have our causes, and just as I wouldn't tell someone that he or she should be putting $ and energy into animal causes instead of human ones, I don't like hearing others tell me and other animal lovers that we should be putting our $ and energy into a direction other than the one we have chosen. I'll throw my money wherever I want to, thank you very much!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

I think that you will eventually be able to find good homes for them; it's just that it will probably take a lot longer than you had anticipated.

However, I think that your co-worker would not give any of those kittens a good home. If worse comes to worse, then I would seek out a no-kill shelter or foster care for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats