Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

293 posts, read 1,035,999 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't shave a cat. Just brush everyday. Cats shed and there isn't much you can do. The hair would grow back. Most cats do not want to be shaved. It would feel very odd and they could get cold and hot so easily. Then growing the fur would be itchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I just had my Maine Coon shaved for the summer. She's just the opposite; Kitty thinks she's hot ***** with her new do. The other cats kind of stare and his, or just run away.

The groomer called to tell me my cat was very belligerent and was very uncooperative during the entire process and she bites hard. The only reason this happened is because she was stuck in a cage all day with a bunch of barking dogs, of course the cat would be scared.

I'm glad she was honest with you and that you understand the situation. Even when cats are declawed they can still bite and draw blood.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have 2 17 lb ragdolls and all their fur is driving the entire family batty. What would happen if I have them shaved for the summer I've seen it done for persians but my rags have such silky healthy fur and I don't want it growing back course.
Well I don't have a ragdoll, but I wouldn't ever have any cat shaved for the supposed reason of 'coolness'. Let their coat be as it naturally is; that's my feeling.

And yeah, I'd worry that it would grow back differently from how it had been originally.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Well I don't have a ragdoll, but I wouldn't ever have any cat shaved for the supposed reason of 'coolness'. Let their coat be as it naturally is; that's my feeling.

And yeah, I'd worry that it would grow back differently from how it had been originally.

I have three cats they're all just plain old american domestic. They are more of a medium length coat though. My biggest girl weights about 13 to 14 pounds, when we had a wood burning stove she would lay directly behind it, even though the stove got so hot we had to open the windows. She will sit in front of an electric heater even put her face up to it. You go up and touch her and she's burning hot. So, I guess they have a tendency to be able to take the heat.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
I just shaved my Ragdoll's at the advice of my vet....
He escaped and when he came back (the same day) he was wet, I think from chasing water skinks and he got all matted under his belly, so when i was trying to brush them out I found a tick Took him straight to the vet and he has a really thick coat. The vet recommended the Lion cut and I was really sick of the hair, I asked her if it was okay and was informed he would be fine so i decided to get my female done as well. Big mistake.! he came home sore and tender, they did a horrific job and now my two cats who absolutely adored each other are hissing and fighting. I will never do it again massive regret

Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonielee View Post
I just shaved my Ragdoll's at the advice of my vet....
He escaped and when he came back (the same day) he was wet, I think from chasing water skinks and he got all matted under his belly, so when i was trying to brush them out I found a tick Took him straight to the vet and he has a really thick coat. The vet recommended the Lion cut and I was really sick of the hair, I asked her if it was okay and was informed he would be fine so i decided to get my female done as well. Big mistake.! he came home sore and tender, they did a horrific job and now my two cats who absolutely adored each other are hissing and fighting. I will never do it again massive regret
I'm the OP. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I have to admit I never considered the impact shaving would have on the relationship between 2 cats. For that reason alone we decided to just deal with the mess and never to shave. The Zoom Groom used regularly has certainly helped. Still I have to say to those considering getting a Ragdoll or 2. ----Beware of flying cat fur and horrendous dust bunnies all over the house.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times
Default Shaved long hair

I have shaved my long hair tabby for several years... ( like a lion and not too short). And she hated it at the moment, but loved it after. and she purred more and cuddled more (not bc she was cold) ... I live in Tx and it gets just way too hot. My other cats were fine with the shave...no one cared and I didn't have any behavioral problems. But, all cats are different. However, I am planning to get a ragdoll, and I am hoping to shave it in the summer(unless she can't stand it)! Hopefully, she will luv it as much as my other cats. Try it once... If u or your cat don't like it... Don't do it again... Or do it not as close and c if that's ok. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,808 times
I shave one of my very long haired kitties every year to a modified lion cut. We suspect she was born brain damaged & she's never totally figured out how to clean herself. Her butt area i keep shaved or at least trimmed to an inch or less year around. She's about 11 years old, now, and does not mind it, tho doing it myself, I quit if she seems to be getting antsy & then just go at it again a few minutes later.

How do I post a photo?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,570 times
Do some cats get embarrassed after being shaved? I ask because there's a cat at a rescue center who is usually very friendly and extroverted with me. The last time I visited, he was shaved with a Lion Cut. Poor guy just stayed in his cubby-hole, not even coming out for his favorite treats and toys. He looked utterly depressed.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Mickey was routinely groomed. I was allergic to his long, fine, fur. He was fine with it, but I will admit, he was cranky when he came home with bows in his ears. He would bolt at the sound of an electric razor....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats