Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,681,135 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you for responding to my post. There are a few messages that really hit home for various reasons and you'll see why:

Garden of Eden, you really made me think along the lines of fate, spirituality, and psychology all in one. My bf has a very pessimistic outlook on life in general. It doesn't matter if we've had 364 sunny days in a row, if that last day of the year is rainy and miserable, then the whole year was, lol. I try really hard to help him to think in more positive terms. While he's improved, he's still stuck in his ways. I think your post really helped reiterate that the cat may have come around to help him. Regarding past lives, it's funny because my grandmother died in February and both cats surfaced around May/June 2009. I took her death hard because I was close to her, but my grieving period ended a while back, I would say. The little cat, which is the one I've emphasized on, was 8 months old, according to the vet...which would put him in this world around the exact time my grandmother died. We talked about this and I thought maybe she was coming around as one of the cats and wanted me to take care of him. The other cat, which now gravitates toward me, was estimated to be a year old at the time we caught him, so Grandma was still alive when he was born. My bf's grandmother passed away 15 years ago and she hated animals, but she did live in this house where we now live. Interesting...I'll definitely have to think about this, and I appreciate your response because it opened up my eyes to other possibilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Way to go Shelby

Do you smoke? I already mentioned wearing something citrusy, as a no-no.
If you want to have some fun, roll yourself in catnip, or buy the spray cat nip, and see if it makes a difference - also, animals read facial expressions hand in hand (or paw in paw, may the case be) along with the inflections in your voice. One of my cats was scared stiff of my older brother for the longest time. - it wasn't until he had shaved off and kissed-goodbye the "Moses" look he was growin' on his face that she completely changed her impression of him and comes runnin now
I had to smile at your response, Maryland, because strangely enough, I'm not the smoker...my boyfriend is, LOL. He's unsuccessfully attempted to stop at least twice. I guess he likes cigarettes I don't wear any fragrances...I wear deodorant, but that's about it....maybe it's the lotion I use, but that still leaves me in question because he comes around at times until my bf comes home. Then it's like he doesn't know who I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post
Simple answer - cats go to where their bread is buttered. (food, water, change litter box)

As long as all things are equalled in play time, petting time.

Start feeding the cat twice a day, giving water, and changing litter. And a little fresh ham or chicken once in a while, and the cat will gravitate towards you.
I laughed at this response, too, Bri, because there's another ironic twist to this story. My bf is a vegetarian. I'm the meat eater! The meat tactic has worked on the female cat and the larger male cat...as far as food, water, and litter box cleanings, again, we both do it. I'm perplexed because I don't really do anything differently than he does.

On that thought, my demeanor could be the factor. I walk very loudly and apparently that can be intimidating. I just have a heavy step and I can't help it I really hope this cat is around to teach my bf some lessons and to help him lighten up....we've had them for over 7 months now and that doesn't seem to have helped him so far....I guess only time will tell. I'll just have to resort to the fact that maybe the other cat just wasn't destined to be here for me :-/ I can live with that though.

Thanks again to everyone...I'm giving you all rep points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
BrInNH said,
"Simple answer - cats go to where their bread is buttered. (food, water, change litter box)
As long as all things are equalled in play time, petting time.
Start feeding the cat twice a day, giving water, and changing litter. And a little fresh ham or chicken once in a while, and the cat will gravitate towards you."

At least sometimes, it's all about the food.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,681,135 times
Just wanted to revisit this page and update y'all on some really good news--

The cat is no longer shady! Shortly after I posted this, he all of a sudden started becoming comfortable around me. I don't know what triggered it, but I think it's funny that I was to the point where I was going to simply ignore him and pretend he didn't exist. Sometimes, he even meows when I'm home with the cats. But at 8:30, when the light comes on and the key starts to unlock, you better believe he still gets extremely excited when my bf comes home. Does he still favor the bf over me? Sure! But does he ignore me now like he used to? Nope. I didn't do anything differently--I still feed them, occasionally I give them meat (this particular cat doesn't eat human food though, so that's not an issue with him), I change the cats' water bowls, and I pick them up and play with them some. I guess he just became comfortable.

Thanks for letting me vent to all of you. I appreciate everything. This house is a little more unified now!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
I'm glad to see things have improved. Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats