Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...my bill is in the mail!
you know what I would pay you too!!! If you need any money, please PM me. I mean that, or help with food bills for the cats not you of course. Your great. I really wish you lived in NJ, I would take you out to PETCO and buy you what ever your fur balls wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,711 times
My older cat will eat canned food, but avoids dry, so I use a coffee grinder to grind the dry food to powder and mix it with the canned food. That way the cat gets the smell of the wet food but the fiber they need from the dry food.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you know what I would pay you too!!! If you need any money, please PM me. I mean that, or help with food bills for the cats not you of course. Your great. I really wish you lived in NJ, I would take you out to PETCO and buy you what ever your fur balls wanted.
LOL...I am glad to help! I never knew you were in NJ! ( at least, I didn't think I knew!) I am orignally from NJ..born and raised in Westifield! See...us Joisey gals stick together!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Just thinking...Does Otto need to gain some weight? I would think so with all the problems yakking up and diarrhea . But maybe some kitten food would help. It's much more palatable...my guys always go after the kitten food first...and it would go easier on his digestive system. Might be worth thinking about...it would get him use to the idea of dry (no FANCYFEAST) and then you could slowly intergrate adult dry into it. Just thinking out loud

Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I would definitely be feeding kitten food. I usually keep a cat on kitten until they are 1 year old, then I switch to an adult formula. The kitten food generally has a lot more protein, which is what growing kitties need. I am not sure how Otto's GI tract would react to that, though. If he has had problems with parasites in the past, then that may be what caused the aformentioned problems; it can take awhile for a cat--especially a kitten--to recover from parasites, and sometimes they can even cause permanent problems. I like the idea of incorporating some higher protein source with the dry food.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I would definitely be feeding kitten food. I usually keep a cat on kitten until they are 1 year old, then I switch to an adult formula. The kitten food generally has a lot more protein, which is what growing kitties need.
No, that's incorrect. Kittens, once eating solids, do not require any extra anything. What kittens need is the food presented in a easier to eat form.

Think about it for a moment.... MommaCat, when feeding her kittens, hardly rips open a sachet of kitten food. Wild cats - of all shapes and sizes - manage to successfully rear litter after litter without having to nip down to the local supermarket to stock up on special food for them. They eat what MommaCat catches for them.. which is what MommaCat eats too.

Kitten &/or puppy food has got to be one of the all-time most successful marketing ploys. Because we, as human beings, DO require different nutrition as infants, toddlers, children, etc. etc., we are predisposed to think other baby animals do as well.

Yet, if they (in this case being kittens) truly and honestly did, how on earth would they survive and successfully reproduce without human intervention? They wouldn't. But they do, so something doesn't quite add up.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
sooooo.... how is little otto doing today?? i find myself checking in several times a day to see the latest on his progress........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats