Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I don't know how that's possible, becuase in most litters I've seen there is always a black cat or two in the mix of regular cats. So that would mean the tabbys and other cats would be Siamese to?

My cat Squeakers was the only black cat in her litter.

Yes, I know, but it doesn't mean that all tabby cats are part Siamese. This is what I think she meant.... Only that the ones who give birth to black kittens carry the genes. It could also be carried from the father and not the mother. If they have the same parents, both mother and father (as a litter of kittens can have different fathers), then yes, all in the litter could be traced back. But there has to be a black kitten there for it to be sure. They're not Siamese though, they can just be traced back to have Siamese genes. Probably waaaaaaaay back. They're well mixed already, hehe. None of them have Siamese breed standards, they can just be traced back.

A spokes person from a Siamese rescue group said that all black cats could be traced back to have Siamese genes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,915 times
Who does this remind you of? LOL

Old 06-19-2009, 08:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
One winter we had a hole in the back of the stove and field mice were able to get through (they can fit through holes smaller than a pencil ). The way I found out was I went to have a snack and when I sat down in my chair , there was a teeny little mouse right smack in the middle of my placemat.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post

Yes, I know, but it doesn't mean that all tabby cats are part Siamese. This is what I think she meant.... Only that the ones who give birth to black kittens carry the genes. It could also be carried from the father and not the mother. If they have the same parents, both mother and father (as a litter of kittens can have different fathers), then yes, all in the litter could be traced back. But there has to be a black kitten there for it to be sure. They're not Siamese though, they can just be traced back to have Siamese genes. Probably waaaaaaaay back. They're well mixed already, hehe. None of them have Siamese breed standards, they can just be traced back.

A spokes person from a Siamese rescue group said that all black cats could be traced back to have Siamese genes.
Actually, if I'm understanding this correctly, it seems to be the other way around. Seal-point Siamese cats are "genetically black", but carry a mutant gene that restricts color to areas of the body that are cooler than normal. See this cite for a fuller explanation.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:12 AM

672 posts, read 5,093,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Actually, if I'm understanding this correctly, it seems to be the other way around. Seal-point Siamese cats are "genetically black", but carry a mutant gene that restricts color to areas of the body that are cooler than normal. See this cite for a fuller explanation.
I've also read that, but I also recently read about most black cats being related to the Siamese cat, because they used their "black gene" to produce pure black cats, since black cats were alomost extinct at a point. Many killed them because they thought they were evil druing the time they believed in witches.

I just said that black cat and Siamese comment to give a fun fact. But I'll ask a person who may know about this now and get back with a better answer if she has one.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post

I've also read that, but I also recently read about most black cats being related to the Siamese cat, because they used their "black gene" to produce pure black cats, since black cats were alomost extinct at a point.
I think we may be saying the same thing. A siamese cat that has a black kitten, simply hasn't passed on the the mutant gene that creates the albinism in the breed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA

I just said that black cat and Siamese comment to give a fun fact. But I'll ask a person who may know about this now and get back with a better answer if she has one.
Cool -- I'd love to know more about this!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Maybe your cat was saving the head, to re-create a scene from the Godfather? Or perhaps Fatal Attraction? I'd be careful about letting them in your bedroom & kitchen, LOL.

Those picture are gruesome, but somewhat impressive... best "presents" I've gotten have included a beheaded rat, a raccoon tail with no raccoon attached (poor thing!), and various live & dead mice. Luckily there aren't too many stray bunnies in San Francisco, because I don't think I could stomach that scene. And this is coming from someone with snakes, who has no problem watching them eat a live rat.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 860 times
You've got a werecat on your hands lmaaaaaaaao

Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
My grandmas cat brought home two dead koi fish... Cost her 1800.00. The owner showed her the receipts that showed the price and pics that identified the fish.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Emma loves flies and bugs! She swats them, then actually scoops them up with her paw, puts them in her mouth and munches them down. Nom, nom, nom. It's hilarious!
Had a cat that would not rest until she caught and ate flies/bugs.

Had another cat with no killer instinct. Came home one day and the cat was sitting beside a mouse. They were both staring out the patio doors. When the mouse moved, the cat (declawed) batted it with her paw. As soon as the mouse settled down, the cat would. I scooped the mouse up and put it outside. It ran away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats