Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 AM

41,942 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
How much canned food should she have each day??? 1/2 can?????
I'd give her a half a can in the morning, and the rest of it in the evening. You could always continue to give her a teeny bit of dry food daily as a treat.

Quote:
Does the remainder need to be refridgerated or can you cover it and leave it overnight without fear of spoilage, etc.... I ask because Emme doesn't seem to like canned food after it's been refridgerated.
It should be refrigerated, and even if it's left out for more than a few hours it kinda gets icky. Most cats don't like cold food -- makes sense, since their ideal food is a warm-blooded mouse! -- but we get around that by stirring the refrigerated food with warm water. It gives our kitties extra moisture as well as they lap up the gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
A great deal of information I have been reading recommends wet over dry food for various reasons. One reason is weight control. They claim that cats gain weight due to the fillers in the dry food and the carbohydrates can cause health issues. Here is one of the links I've been looking at.
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi_

I plan on using either Blue Buffalo or an equal quality canned food. I'll try it to see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll re-evaluate at that point.
Maybe it's all in the genes but mine are all trim and sleek - but they also do play a lot inside and out so get plenty of exercise!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd give her a half a can in the morning, and the rest of it in the evening. You could always continue to give her a teeny bit of dry food daily as a treat.

It should be refrigerated, and even if it's left out for more than a few hours it kinda gets icky. Most cats don't like cold food -- makes sense, since their ideal food is a warm-blooded mouse! -- but we get around that by stirring the refrigerated food with warm water. It gives our kitties extra moisture as well as they lap up the gravy.
Using warm water is a good idea!!! Thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe it's all in the genes but mine are all trim and sleek - but they also do play a lot inside and out so get plenty of exercise!
Emme is related to a Puff-A-Lump.

I try to "help" her excercise (and me too) by throwing her toys up and down the steps and playing Hide-n-Seek. I sure hope we don't end up on You-Tube some day.

YouTube - Ninja cat comes closer while not moving!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
My older cat won't eat anything that's been put in the fridge nor anything that contains more moisture than it originally came with so mixing it with warm water is sadly redundant. Those brands that have "in gravy" written on the label? He won't touch 'em. I buy the small tins and if I don't use it all, I put the tin in a ziploc bag and keep it in a cool area of the laundry room. The younger cat is a piece of cake - she won't eat tinned food at all!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default feeding the hairballs

Bubba and Annabelle Lee are free-feeders. I have a bowl in the kitchen and a bowl on the dining room table that each hold about 1-1/2 cups. I top off when they get too low, 'cuz Annabelle panics if she sees the bottom of the bowl and will eat it all then throw it up. She was born feral and has serious food issues, that's why the bowl is on the table, Bubba'd never be able to eat if there wasn't a separate bowl. At the end of the week I pour the food in the woods for the squirrels/raccoons to eat.

In the mornings they each get canned food, but since neither really likes it, it takes us about 5 days to go through the smallest can. Bubba gets about 1-1/2 Tablespoons and Annabelle gets about 2 teaspoons. Otherwise, they just leave it in the bowl to waste. My vet said I should get them used to canned food, because when they get older they might have to eat only canned and the texture is so different, they might stop eating. they aren't overweight, they're Maine Coons so they're big anyway They've never reacted to the cold food so guess that's not an issue for us.

they just nibble when they want to...I've seen Bubba go and get 2 pieces and walk away.....what good does that do??????

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 27,486 times
kibble (Blue Buffalo)
What is this ?

Food !!

Or

what

I don‘t know any thing

ok

Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM

124 posts, read 309,068 times
Quote:
A great deal of information I have been reading recommends wet over dry food for various reasons. One reason is weight control. They claim that cats gain weight due to the fillers in the dry food and the carbohydrates can cause health issues. Here is one of the links I've been looking at.
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi_

I plan on using either Blue Buffalo or an equal quality canned food. I'll try it to see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll re-evaluate at that point.
Hmm, interesting. I think that's more informative when you're dealing with low quality foods though, like meow mix and the sort. I work at a pet store so I'm pretty familiar with most of the brands and while, unfortunately, I cannot afford Blue Buffalo, we do have a rep that comes in every Saturdays to walk around and talk to people, and I've had extensive chats with her about different foods. I actually feed my cats Natural Choice by Nutro, another food on the same line as BB, and they have wet food as well that I buy every once in awhile.

But I have noticed that since my boyfriend's cat moved from his parents house to living with us, he went from being fed cans of Friskies several times a day (he was 1 of like 5 cats, but they were still way overfeeding them) to Natural Choice dry food always available and wet food every other day or so, he has lost weight and now can be considered a healthy weight, and my other cat has gained a little (she is very small, she needs all the weight she can gain) as well as both cats having nicer coats and less stinky poo.

PS. sorry, didn't read the part where you said you'd stick with Blue Buffalo canned food. I think as long as you stick with the same quality, you should be alright. I'm a lil intoxicated. oops.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 27,486 times
You are drunk tonight .. Hee .. And write

Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustshar View Post
kibble (Blue Buffalo)
What is this ?
Food !!
Or
what
I don‘t know any thing
ok
Kibble = dry, nugget type food
"Blue Buffalo" = Higher End Brand of pet food found at Pet stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats