Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times

Advertisements

I had to do something for them. It is dropping down to zero at night. I want to bring all of them inside and just can't. Some are too wild and would freak. Then the more the merrier to snuggle up and keep each other warm maybe??

http://mail.ctcweb.net/~shadesofidaho/12-17-08-Porch-Kitties.jpg (broken link)

So I made up a sleeping bag for them. I took three pillows and stitched them together on the short ends making a sort of triangle of them. Then tied the top of it to the back of the couch thing they sleep on. There was more of them inside but they jumped out when I went to take the pictures. At first all I could see was faces. LOL Aren't they cute???

http://mail.ctcweb.net/~shadesofidaho/12-17-08-Porch-Kitties-B.jpg (broken link)

When they are all inside it is full up. LOL

This is One spot on the left and Tigger in the front center. Fuzz in the back looking mad but he is so sweet and then Cally on the right.

I am afraid to make something they can not get out of quickly in case a dog comes up. I have no way to fence them in.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Hi Chris! You have such a good heart! Bless you for being these guys guardian angel!

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 12-17-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,421 times
What a great idea! I bet they are much warmer now.

They sure are a cute bunch!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,766 times
lol....awwwwww...warm kitties. What a terrific idea!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM

283 posts, read 892,906 times
such sweet little faces, I'm sure they are more comfortable now!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,847 times
I never thought of that with pillows, i had to take a box then i put styrofoam blocks all around it, then taped plastic around it, and put a cushion inside, now I don't know if the cat goes inside it or not cause I think she is a night feeder. but if I'd use a pillow it'd get all wet from the snow/rain because my porch is not enclosed. good idea tho

Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,579,727 times
You can also use a container, like a Rubbermaid and fill with hay or straw, cut a hole on the side towards the end (to keep the wind off of them) and wrap the container in old blankets of something to help insluate it, cover with plastic or use styrafoam ice chests.

A funny story here, my DIL did this for ferals and put a small light in it to add warmth and put it on her front porch when a winter storm was coming. She went out to see if any were in there and was suprised to find a possum curled up in there with the kitties.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the nice comments. I am worried about what to do if it should rain. Right now it is way too cold to rain and the snow is dry. This was a get something out there right away for them kind of thing.I took the bed sized pillows off our couch to use.LOL Nothing too good for the ferals. I will get more. Just thought they looked so cute in it. I think I will buy one of those outside dog houses and get something for the door so if a dog does come up on the porch to get the little ones the opening will be too small for the dog to get them.

I guess these little ones will be ours. I do NOT want all these kitties but no one will take them yet. We are getting them all neutered as we can $$$. I am working two jobs right now so will have enough to feed them. Keep hoping some one will come along wanting one or six. Sigh Edited to say I just happened to get two jobs . Not just to feed the kitties but they will take a chunk of my paycheck to feed them. They will not be tiny forever.

We were walking back from town yesterday and as we got to the driveway Little Cally dashed out to my husband switching her overly long tail. I thought she was coming to me but NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO as soon as she got to him , and he kept walking to the house, she turned to follow him. He was wearing his Neon Orange road jacket and black pants. LOL Maybe she thought he was Big Daddy ,since she is black and orange with a little white. Cute to see a six inch tall kitten following a six foot tall man.

Thanks again for the ideas. We are heading to town today and I will see what I can come up with for them.Maybe a wooden box with the extra kitty pet door on the front. Hummmmmmmmmmm Might be better than the plastic dog house. Will just have to see what I can find.

Chris

Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,535,239 times
I would worry about the pillows getting wet, then moldy.

This is what we set up for our feral kitty that we just TNR. Although this housing type and style is used by other feral cat keepers in our area...our kitty has yet to sleep in it.

The kitty litter on the top is to help weigh the house down for our high wind days. We plan on spray painting it to match the house come spring or when we are really bored this winter. That way our porch won't look sooo trashy (lol). We want the house on the porch b/c it also gets better weather coverage. Although we already plan on shoveling snow away for a path to our porch for the cat when it happens. BTW, we named her Zeldee.
Attached Thumbnails
Burrrrr it is cold for the ferals-img_1696.jpg   Burrrrr it is cold for the ferals-img_1697.jpg  

Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Thanks Amazonchick. GREAT idea. I will look for one in town today. Just a thought on the paint. Check a small spot first. Some paint eats Styrofoam. Or makes it melt. LOL We can get high winds here too.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats