Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 43,985 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I might be getting a 8week old kitten & I am really happy about it, but my only concern is that I have a 5 year old Dalmation, who doesn't like cats he always try to chase them when I take him out.

Now I have been reading a lot on tips on introducing kittens to other pets & they all say it will take time, but they will get used to each other, now doesn't reasure me 100%, I really want to get this kitten, but I am worried that once I get her home that Dalmation is going to growl, bark & try to get at her & not like it.

Is this normal is there anything that I can do as obviously I don't want to have to get rid of the kitten, but I am extremely worried, can I just keep the kitten in my room & just let her out when the dog is out?

Please can someone help me.

Thanks

talder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM

17 posts, read 163,047 times
Well, the bad news is, yeah, it does take time. It'll also take a bit of effort on your part since you will have to introduce the two gradually and be very, VERY watchful. I personally wouldn't bring a cat into a home with a dog that doesn't like cats. But, as a cat lover myself, I can understand why you'd want a kitten. I mean, heck, it's a KITTEN! CUTE! FUZZY! LOVEABLE! ~ahem~ ^_^

First of all, realize how kittens are. I mean, really, besides the cuteness and all that. Kittens, take work. They're like children. I say this, simply because knowing what you're in for can really help you out in over the long haul. A healthy kitten will have plenty of energy and curiosity to boot. They'll run around, get into EVERYTHING, and then take a ten minute power nap and be back at it again just as if they had rechargeable batteries. As they grow and become a bit more graceful, their world only expands and they'll move their exploring from the floor onto higher things like counters and entertainment centers. Expect this. Expect to find kitty where kitty shouldn't be, expect things being knocked off shelves, and expect to put some time into teaching kitty where it's okay to play! Remember that your house cat isn't a pack animal, and thus is not driven by loyalty or a need to please you as 'alpha.' When you want your cat to do anything, the cat will be thinking, "Ok, great. What's in it for ME?" That's why negative reinforcement rarely works with cats, but positive reinforcement goes a long way. That said, you'll want to pick up a spray bottle and fill it with water. Use a jet of water aimed at the cat's rump (not the face!) as a teaching tool. This is a good method to use for cats since it's rather disassociative. That is, its not your actual hand doing the 'punishing' and the cat won't be inclined to become fearful of you.

OK, so bearing all that in mind, think of this in relation to the dog. You can expect kitten to be very curious about the dog and want to play and be doing what the dog is doing. This can be disasterous if kitten decides to see what's going on when the dog is having dinner. One chomp from the dog, and it's over. Because your dog will always be much bigger than your cat, and may not realize his own strength, keep a close eye on the two when they can finally be out together.

If you haven't already, purchase a surdy plastic pet carrier for the kitten. When you bring the kitten home, use the carrier and let the dog get to know the kitten through the carrier. Of course, you'll want to supervise very attentively. You don't want either animal to get too stressed, or have the dog shake the carrier and get it open. You can expect the dog to bark and react to the kitten at first. The kitten may hiss. This is normal. Expect this initial intro to be short. Remember, that the dog was there first. You're bringing something new and possibly threatening (at least to him) into his comfort zone. Try your best to keep your routine with your dog the same as you always have to assure him that things are still okay. Don't just shove the dog off in another room and ignore him when you first get kitty home! This could really stress the dog out and open up a whole new can of worms, which may even result in the dog resenting the kitten. You definately don't want that.

You'll want to introduce the two several times in this fashion and leave the cat in a safe room while kitty isn't out in the carrier. You can gradually lengthen the time that you have the kitten out in the carrier to be introduced to the dog. Make sure to encourage and comfort your dog, not only when kitty is in the room, but also when he's sniffing around the carrier during intro time. Of course, you'll want to eventually let the kitten explore the house. Definately make sure the dog is not around! Let the kitten out when someone is out taking the dog for a walk, or the dog is outside or sleeping in a closed room. Try not to shove the dog off too much, as mentioned. Keeping the dog's routine stable will help him adjust. If you shove him off too much, he'll catch on that somethings up. Also exepect the dog to want to sniff and paw under the door to the room that you'll be keeping the kitten in when its out of its carrier. Make sure that no stray paws get in or out to be bitten. Once your dog is comfortable with having the kitten out in the house while in the carrier, you can explore taking it out while the dog is there. Don't just let the kitten run around though! You'll want to hold the kitten and allow the dog to approach it while you are holding it. That way he can sniff, but you'll be very close at hand to stop any mishaps. Just as with the carrier, gradually lengthen their exposure to each other. Expect kitty to want to bat at the dog, watch out for this because it will likely surprise him. He may be confused and still curious, or may get agressive. You'll have to go with the flow and guage things. Eventually you should be able to allow the kitten to roam freely with the dog, supervised, of course. Again, paying attention to doggie dinner time. You won't want kitty out while the dog is eating. You'll have to see how the two get on before you'll know if kitty will stay clear of the dogs food when he's eating. It may be that you'll just have to feed them separately. You may also want to try feeding the dog in the presence of the kitten (in the carrier!) so that he can associate the kitten with something good, like food. This is the whole idea behind praising him for good behavior with the kitten, so he'll learn to assoicate being good to and around the kitten with something positive.

Anyway, I think I've prattled on enough. Sounds like you've already done some research and I've probably just repeated many of the things you've already read about. Be patient, and persistant. However, please have the heart and the courage to find a good home for the kitten should your dog just not want to get along. It happens. Dogs have a natural tendency to chase things, and you can't blame your dog for doing what is natural in the event that he never learns to get along with the kitten. Best of luck, I sincerely hope it all works out!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Like stated above, it will take some time and patience. My two Goldens live with 5 cats and love them...But have an unknown cat cross their path outside, and they will want to give chase.
Go slow and follow the instructions carefully. Please, never leave your kitten unattended with the dog, for even a second. Especially around a dinner bowl!
Getting them acquainted is all about "smell/scent". When I bring a new animal into the house...I rub it down with a towel and then leave the towel out for the other animals to smell...I also rub down the other animals and leave it for the newbie. Even letting the kitten roam your living room for a short period...putting him/her in its safe room and then letting the dog in to track the kittens scent will help. Once both parties are accustomed to the others scent...life will begin to get easier.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
Also, make sure that your cat has an escape area. WE put a hook on our door that left it propped open enough so the cats can get it, but not the dog (if unattended). This room also has the litter, cat food, small cat toys, etc in it.

My question though would be why you are getting a cat if your dog has been shown to not be good with them? Just thinking that it is a bit of a recipe for disaster.......

Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post

My question though would be why you are getting a cat if your dog has been shown to not be good with them? Just thinking that it is a bit of a recipe for disaster.......
I agree. If the dog does not like cats, both animals will be constantly stressed. The new kitten will already be scared from the change to the new surroundings, and if you keep it locked in one room most of the time, not only will the kitten not be able to run, jump and play as thoroughly as it will need to, but it will be stressful for both animals keeping them apart and not letting them see each other but their smells will still be everywhere.

I would suggest not getting the kitten. How about a second dog--perhaps a cute, cuddly puppy that will be a new companion for your resident dog?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Of course, only you know your dog...but I still stand by my statement...Just because he wants to give chase to a cat outdoors, does not mean he hates cats. My 2 Goldens would chase any cat in their yard or outdoors, given the chance....Yet they both live in harmony with 5 cats! And I might add, are both adored by the cats! It can be done!
These are all different cats with either of my Goldens.
New Kitten.....HELP with dog-dylan-shelby-2-6-04-002.jpg

New Kitten.....HELP with dog-favorite-memory-stick-pics-transfer-017.jpg

New Kitten.....HELP with dog-th_the_boys_7-25-04_002.jpg

New Kitten.....HELP with dog-best-buds-11-7-05-008.jpg

Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,270 times
I love those pictures! I have dogs & cats (well, I'm down to one dog now but have had up to three. Two dogs have passed on due to old age) and rarely any problems if they are introduced slowly and correctly. Tiamot gives great advice. This bears repeating:
Quote:
You can expect kitten to be very curious about the dog and want to play and be doing what the dog is doing. This can be disasterous if kitten decides to see what's going on when the dog is having dinner. One chomp from the dog, and it's over. Because your dog will always be much bigger than your cat, and may not realize his own strength, keep a close eye on the two when they can finally be out together.
I have heard of many sad tales, and it is true that one bite can kill a tiny kitten. Take your time, don't force anything between them, and don't leave them alone together - this may take months.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Our old dog would try to nurse off our cats. Then he learned about CLAWS.
LOL

I think its just really important to keep them apart at feeding times and make sure you exercise your dog with long walks so he doesnt have pent up energy that can get hostile.

But yeh..never leave them alone until kitty gets bigger.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 38,663 times
josh. we have a 4.1/2 year old female Cavelier king charles. She has no aggesion in her what so ever she's the perfect lap dog. My teenage daughter has been going on for weeks about getting a kitten which I couldn't agree with. The dog was "attacked" by a full grown ginger cat whilst being walked, and scratched in the eye.
After many vet visits we thought she was going to lose the eye, thankfully this has not happened although she will always have the results of the damage by the way of blood clots etc.

I went away on business for a week and on my return disscovered a kitten that my daughter purchased. The kitten was in a bad way but the vet fixed her up and said she had cat flu and not had any early jabs.
after I settled myself down and acepted the situation I didn't have the heart to make my daughter take the kitten back, especialy as the kitten was being so neglected within the litter her friends cat had...

The kitten is very very lively and playful and wants to be close and play with the dog. even if the dog gently chases her away she will playfully leap at the dog even at the dogs hind. My worry is if dog is likely to be traumatised again, or will be forever nervous by the kittens playful pawing. I know nothing about cats and don't know if pawing playfully is the same as attacking i.e. do the claws fully come out to attack or are kept retracted when playing.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
The cat and the dog will learn to get along if the dog does not get a good shot at the kitten right away before they bond. Supervise their early time together but let them find their own relationship. The dog will soon learn that those kitten claws prickle but do not really hurt.

Jack the cat was a young aggressive adult here giving Obie his first experience with a cat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EVvaZO74g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats