Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 PM

287 posts, read 897,399 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if they do. One of our cats now prefers to be outside part-time and I'm wondering if we really need to keep that collar on him. He hates it. If they don't work then its coming off. BTW I live in Phoenix, AZ so I don't know how bad the flea problem is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,672 times
I don't know how well the collars work but the drops work wonders. Just make sure you get a decent brand. Coupled with powdering the carpets should keep them under control in the house.

I haven't used the drops on an outdoor cat but when I moved the person who lived here before me didn't take care of their pets very well because soon after moving in the place was infested... completely unbearable. Treating with the drops and powdering the carpet and my problem was solved in a few weeks though I kept treating for a few months to be sure.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,862,513 times
NO. It only works directly under the collar and the poison in them can harm the cat. Frontline is better. You can also use Capstar, but it only works for 3 days.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,801 times
I never had any luck using the collars on my cat. He is an indoor/outdoor cat -- well, mostly indoor, but still. I use either Frontline or Advantage (I switch them frontline in "winter", Advantage in "summer", seems to work better that way in SW FL - my vet suggested it). Sorry, can't advise you on flea issues in AZ -- have you talked to your vet? I DO use collars though -- I cut them up and put them under the cushions of ulphostered furniture as a precautionary measure, replace them 1 or 2 times a yr. Works pretty good down here.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimenow View Post
I DO use collars though -- I cut them up and put them under the cushions of ulphostered furniture as a precautionary measure, replace them 1 or 2 times a yr. Works pretty good down here.
That's interesting about using them around the house. I took it off of him yesterday. He looks so miserable and frankly the idea of him wearing poison around his neck scares me. He's a changed cat since he's been going outside. Gotten quieter and growls easier like he doesn't have any patience. He's fixed, too.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
My childhood cat was indoor/outdoor, and a flea collar worked on her just fine. She's been gone for 25 years; maybe the collars have changed.

We use Revolution; even though our cats are indoor-only, fleas still manage to find them somehow.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 AM

We're going to try the drops. Don't know how they work but we'll give it a shot. I took the collar off and thought he'd be happier since its off. He's just a different cat since he's been going outside. If I didn't know any better I'd think he wasn't fixed

Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Flea collars are very dangerous for outdoor cats. First of all, the poisons can harm the cat considerably - fur loss, rashes, etc. Secondly, that style collar is generally a lot thicker than a generic name tag collar. As such, it's more easily hooked on things and more likely to *don't look if you can't handle it* strangle your buddy.

Your vet should have flea drops that go on the back of the neck. They do wonders.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
That's interesting about using them around the house. I took it off of him yesterday. He looks so miserable and frankly the idea of him wearing poison around his neck scares me. He's a changed cat since he's been going outside. Gotten quieter and growls easier like he doesn't have any patience. He's fixed, too.

I'm wondering about the growling? He's probably quieter because he gets more stimulation outside and is tired when he comes in. Is it because he wants to go out again? I have a very very verbal kitty, NOT a drop of siamese, (makes up for the quiet dog!) and when he wants out he certainly lets you know of course when I don't let him out when HE wants I hear about that too. However it is more of a constant complaining, not growling. Does he growl at other times? Is that how he talks?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My childhood cat was indoor/outdoor, and a flea collar worked on her just fine. She's been gone for 25 years; maybe the collars have changed.

We use Revolution; even though our cats are indoor-only, fleas still manage to find them somehow.
How is the revolution,I have it and haven't used it yet. I want to let the boys out on the screened in porch,but have to use that before I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats