Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,476 times

Advertisements

alaskarain, I was wondering since you have so much experience with cats if you could give me any tips on helping a cat gain weight. I have a little kitten we found andf it seems way to small to be taken from its mom and its not eatting well.

Can I ask what happened to Merlin?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Cats in love - Desi & Lucy

Got this from Petfinder.

Adopt Desi & Lucy - Domestic Short Hair-white, Domestic Short Hair - brown Kitten

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM

32 posts, read 26,408 times
My guy could barely fit in the box after he ate that whole 4 lb box of cheesecake...made him sleepy too!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj293/baywop_pb/P2120001copy.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
LOl thats too funny

Old 02-14-2008, 04:20 PM

214 posts, read 270,716 times
Bay, thats cute..isn't it amazing how cats can seem to go to sleep just anywhere, anytime?

Bubba,
I will post a answer to your question in a thread I am going to start once I get my webpage revamped. Having moved from Alabama to Alaska, I have to make changes to all my personal webpages. I don't want to get off the thread topic because it may cause it to get deleted. I sent you a private message about the food for you kitty.

About Merlin,
I got Merlin and Egypt when they was only a couple of weeks old. The local fire department was doing a controled burn and did a sweep of the house, that is when they discovered the mother cat dead, along with 3 dead kittens and egypt and merlin. The mother was suffering from several malnutrition and gave her life trying to give the last of what she had to her babies, once she died the babies was slowling starving to death, one by one they was dying off . I wasn't sure I was going to be able to save Merlin he was the worst. But his will was strong and with forced feeding, IV, and getting rid of parasites both the guys made a wonderful recovery. How ever, Merlin suffered seizures, the vet could not determine exectly why, he didnt suffer from epilepsy but from time to time would have a episode. We theorized that because he suffered so severly from malnutrition that he may have suffered some mild brain damage, he was always bit off. kinda like that neighborhood kid thats just as sweet as can be but when you look at him you just know somethings off there...lol
But I was mom and Merlin was always by my side, if I drove he rode, if I left a room he followed he was my shadow. While I cooked he sat in the bar chair watching, meowing at me. When I soaked in a bubble bath he sat on the side of tub playing with the bubbles. Everytime I had a new rescue come in, he was always right there, licking them and comforting them, while my other cats would be skiddish or hissing.
One day he was curled in my lap and he had one of his seizures, but this was diffrent, It started the usual. I held him and talk him through it, just like I always did, but suddenly he went limp in my arms. I can barely write this now without crying again, it was so painful. I tryed to give him kitty cpr breath for him until we got him to the vet, but nothing. As fast as that wonderful creature came into my life, he left.. Later it was determined he had a aneurysm to the heart. I had a super big hole in my heart, the whole house seemed lifeless, even the other animals seemed to grieve for him.

But Merlin had one more gift for me once I got to Alaska

Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Alaska, I have tears running down my face, after reading your post about Merlin, and his mama and siblings, just wanted to tell you that I empathize with your pain, as I am sure every other person on this thread does. I am sure you treasure the gift he left you even more.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
Alaska, what a heartwrenching story. That had to be very painful, but look at what a wonderful life you gave him. That's a great bond you two shared.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM

205 posts, read 740,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
That big cat is actually an edited picture that's been around for years. Great setup huH?
Did you realize, that according to this link, this is true and real cat pic?

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Why the Dog Left

Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,476 times
You did that on purpose didn't you? Left us hanging, wondering what Merlins gift was? Maybe no one else will ask but I will cause im as curious as a cat when it comes to things...lol

You had my bottom lip quivering, when I was little we had a dog that had seizures I remember how scarey it was to see it.

Thanks for the food tips I would of never thought of that, got some last night and shes loving it.

I will try to get a picture of her, my camera is not working correctly. Good excuse to buy a new one.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM

214 posts, read 270,716 times
Making the decision to close down my shelter and finding safe homes for all the rescues I had, which was 55 exotic invertebrates, arthropods and arachnids. Dragons, lizards of all kinds, snakes, but mostly my cats.

I arrived in alaska last year on March 10, my birthday was 12th, so I decided to treat myself to a cat as a birthday present. My kids had never known a day in their lives with no pets. So we do research for shelters and visit them, spending weeks looking for the right cat because I believe cats pick their owners and I knew I would know the right one when I found him or her. My kids was annoyed with me because I was taking so long.

After about the 8th trip to the humain society here some lady was in the visiting room with this cat, i was in there too holding this cat. The cat this lady was holding was a black cat, which i am most fond of, but this guy looked just like my Merlin. Thats the first thing my kids said. The whole time shes holding him, he is wiggling and squirming every time she put him down he come and jumped on the couch with me. He wanted nothing what so ever to do with the other lady so she left and went and looked at other cats. I told the boys right then this was the cat and started asking information about him. I had told the girls there about my merlin, they seen me there so many times. I just kept saying to her, how much they looked alike.

The lady took me back to his chart and looked over it, then grinned and said, you are not going to believe this, and handed his chart to me. I about fell on the floor and almost started crying.
His name was Merlin, and he was the exact same age my Merlin would be if he was still alive. On the relinquish form the previous owner filled out. Her name was Bridgette too, only spelt diffrent.
I know it sounds weird, but I believe my Merlin helped me find him, he has so many of the same traits and he has filled a big whole in my life since mERLIN 1'S Death. So this is the new Merlin..and my other two adoptees since.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/huntress_coventina/city%20data/merlin.jpg (broken link)

This is Cassie

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/huntress_coventina/city%20data/cassie.jpg (broken link)

And this is Possum

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/huntress_coventina/city%20data/possum.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats