Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,391,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
It is a great place. They also have rescue teams (like rappelling over cliffs, search and rescue, catastrophic recovery such as Katrina, etc. - all volunteers!) and groups of people who go running/jogging with the more active dogs.

The dog section is much, much larger...the dogs have outdoor kennels and a small park where they are walked.

It's the Oregon Humane Society in Portland, Oregon. The little cats just jump up on the ledges, I guess. In one of the pics you can see a stairway (it's grey in color) up to the boxes.

It must've been right after lunch time - all the cats and dogs were taking their mid-day naps!

Here's a different pic of another resting room. Sorry for the reflections - very, very sunny day and I was just using my P&S camera.
Last week I went to the Pasadena Humane Society. It was interesting to notice the difference between the cat and dog quarters. All dogs were outside in concrete kennel enclosures - very noisy, lots of barking. The cats, meanwhile, were mellowed out in their own air conditioned office, complete with rec room and sunning area. A very clean, quiet, peaceful environment - with classical music playing softly in the background. I guess cats by their very nature tend to get a few perks.

Last edited by Fatty MacButter; 03-19-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
LOL. I actually haven't heard that word before. I will use cattitude more often now, thanks!
That word, cattitude, is being used more often now. I think it fits in a lot of incidences. You know, I've never been comfortable saying that cats have "masters" or "owners." It just doesn't work that way with cats!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
The cats, meanwhile, were mellowed out in their own air conditioned office, complete with a rec room and sunning area. A very clean, quiet, peaceful environment - with classical music playing softly in the background. I guess cats by their very nature tend to get a few perks.
Oh, I like the classical music part. In this shelter, only the socialized cats get to stay in the "nice" rooms...they've got some unsociable little cats in there, too! They get separate cages

Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Oh, I like the classical music part. In this shelter, only the socialized cats get to stay in the "nice" rooms...they've got some unsociable little cats in there, too! They get separate cages
Yes, the classical music is sweet. You go from all that noise outside, into this tranquil, "cultured" cat environment. Some cats are in large cages and some stay in the "rec" room which has sliding glass doors that are locked. The whole area is very nice, though.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
That word, cattitude, is being used more often now. I think it fits in a lot of incidences. You know, I've never been comfortable saying that cats have "masters" or "owners." It just doesn't work that way with cats!
"Dogs have Masters.....Cats have Staff" .

Old 03-20-2010, 02:16 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
My daughter found a good deal on cat-trees recently, and after doing some browsing around on the various models, I found one that I thought we could fit in our tiny living room. It arrived about a week ago, and Finn has given it his emphatic seal of approval.

The top level provides a terrific vantage point for bird-watching.

And it's a great place for a morning nap in the sunshine.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:25 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Finn is a gorgeous boy! His fur looks so soft & silky. . .

Old 03-20-2010, 03:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,323,778 times
Beautiful cat!

I think I will also look into a cat tree. Kalli loves to sit on our kitchen table to look out into the backyard (even though she knows she is not allowed-she will jump down as soon as she sees me!). A cat tree maybe the solution!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,329,324 times
My cats aquired one of our plastic shelves. So much for pots an pans storage!

Finn looks happy!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Finn is indeed a happy feline, particularly since it's still too chilly here to open the windows, and when the windows are shut, the sills are just a bit too narrow for comfortable lounging. Like many cats, he loves to be up high - in fact, his most favorite perch in the world is on my shoulders - and now he's got a lofty bed all his own from which to survey his realm.

I had been considering getting a cat-tree for him for quite a while, and when my daughter found a nice selection on sale, I decided it was a good time to get him his very own perch. She got a different model that is quite a bit larger, but then she has two cats and a considerably larger living room than ours is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats