Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2021, 10:23 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

His SDMA was 33 on last bloodwk. Very high I know. Also tho, his creatinine was only 3.0 & only near/over 5.0 makes him in stage 4, so seems well shy of that number??

Unsure re the whole procedure but the vet alluded Fri to this & we're taking our feral back tomorrow morn (Mon) for more subq & to asap put him into dialysis at a vet hospital. TY all of you who wrote stories of hope & encouragement. Initially wasn't going to put him thru this but seeing his fighting spirit & not giving up, his eating well (tho losing lbs ) the vet said, 'ONLY chance he has is dialysis'. We May need begin a GoFundMe & if anyone can assist us setting it up as I'm tech-challenged there, I'd be grateful.

Costs w/ this moving cross USA last yr have wiped us out. Ok,not an appeal *****' but rather a plea for sound advice re committing to this intense ICU-type (in a human procedure) for a feline I can't give up on as he still has the 'fight' in him, wobbly legs, etc. - yet muscles himself into 2 diff litter boxes! A real "Rocky Balboa" movie story he is & a trooper & makes me feel like I AM NOT making enough effort - yet I break down but then topsy-turvy recover. This ALL due to vowing in '08 to a then dying cat my roomie claimed was fine?? Long story but those who KNOW me well re this catch the drift.

Ok, just hoping for advice & support from my troops on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 06:19 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Well I am sorry you are faced with this, but my advice is I would not do it, I would not put a cat through that. Maybe a young cat with many years of life to live, if I could afford it, but not an old sick cat, for what, another month or two of life? I am not a believer of "life at any cost". I am a believer of "too soon is better than too late".

I think cats should be allowed to live out their lives with peace and dignity and as little pain as possible.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:31 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well I am sorry you are faced with this, but my advice is I would not do it, I would not put a cat through that. Maybe a young cat with many years of life to live, if I could afford it, but not an old sick cat, for what, another month or two of life? I am not a believer of "life at any cost". I am a believer of "too soon is better than too late".

I think cats should be allowed to live out their lives with peace and dignity and as little pain as possible.
I agree with cats mom here. Dialysis is an exhausting procedure (my father-in-law endured it for 7 years) and requires a cat to be hooked up for several hours. Given that he's already weak, I wouldn't put a cat through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats