Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 03:02 PM

164 posts, read 227,847 times

Advertisements

Might be traveling cross county by car with three cats. They are fine in the car but in hotel rooms they bury themselves inside furniture. It takes 20 minutes just to find them and then sometimes an hour to extract them. I am looking at some sort of cat pen/tent that can fold up and then pop up in a hotel room. I want them to be comfortable but don't want to have to dig them out of furniture.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Howard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 03:54 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You can get folding metal dog crates that don't take up much room. I wouldn't expect a cat to remain inside a tent, or anything with a zipper, if the cat was frightened and wanting to hide.

Myself, I would teach the cats to travel in crates and make them stay in the crates in the motel room. They won't be happy, but they won't get lost, either.

Pet edge online sells their house brand of folding crate for a good price and they are good quality crates. You would cover them with a towel or something to make them feel more secure.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:16 PM

164 posts, read 227,847 times
It might be four or five nights in a hotel, unless we can manage some really long driving days. Boise to Florida!
I will check the folding crate you mentioned. Thank you!!!
Howard

Old 10-15-2020, 07:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
They make folding soft sided crates too https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...2809983&sr=8-7

Old 10-16-2020, 12:20 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
A puppy play pen may be better just because it is bigger and could contain water, food and a litterbox.

But aftr several long distance trips I would also siggest you check your trip to see if you can stay in La Quinta. They truly are the most pet friendly hotels. This goes all the way to the furniture being difficult to bury into. The beds are on wood frames. My experience is that all I have to do is stuff the extra pillows in the space between the wall and where the bed meets the wall on both sides. Is some LaQuintas there is also a cheap recliner that can be buried into but it is light and I would just tun them upside down. Then I use a puppy play pen to create a space around the oddr where I could get out to go get take out without them right there to possibly escape.

That's been my experience anyway. I refuse to fly with animals but was speaking at length wit ha friend moving from Chicago to Denver abou this and she's doing the flight since in her experience it's less risky without the hotak stays. To me the idea of having to pull my cat out of a carrier and taking it through security like that terrifies me.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
What about keeping them in the hotel bathroom?

Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 2,763 times
A want to echo CrowGirl's post above. La Quinta's pet friendly rooms are just that. I just moved a cat from Meridian to North Carolina and the only things I had to do to the rooms were to stuff towels between the bed and the wall to be sure she couldn't get in there and maybe slide a piece of furniture one way or another to make my life easier when it was time to go. The first thing I did once I got into the hotel was to cat proof the room and most times that was just towel stuffing.

One night I didn't see her so I started flipping chairs but they had already had all of the backing removed so there was no where for a cat to burrow! She ended up being between the nightstand and the bed but I just didn't see her there.

I personally didn't drive any more than 8 hours a day as I feel like animals need to use the restroom regularly too. I've know some folks that were able to have a mini litterbox setup in the move but I didn't have that kind of space.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
What about keeping them in the hotel bathroom?

A cat who does not want to stay in a bathroom will not stay in a bathroom. As soon as you need to go in there, they will be out through your legs.

The cat containment idea is the most practical, humane and safe way to do it. I hope the OP will have a look at the links I posted.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:32 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
A cat who does not want to stay in a bathroom will not stay in a bathroom. As soon as you need to go in there, they will be out through your legs.

The cat containment idea is the most practical, humane and safe way to do it. I hope the OP will have a look at the links I posted.
You make a good point, as usual. I wish the OP best of luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats