Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times

Advertisements

Mine do.
It is rather odd because I got them just to do rodent control.
They do that job quite well.
They also just love being a family member and I love them being here.

We have 2 houses and 2 cats.
One at each spot.
They do rodent abatement well.

Our main house is rather large and has enough property to play baseball or football in our backyard and have an indoor/outdoor cat that runs the house and dogs.

Our vacation house/retirement house has acreage and a couple buildings.
One is our primary house
Our other building is a rather large shop with an apartment upstairs.

We rent that out to one of our kids.
The kid keeps an indoor cat there.

We are so afraid of eagles harvesting our animals there so it is scary.

As I write this my “Elvis” is cuddling me.

Shoot... I am a cat person.

BTW I can call my cats and they come running.
Life is good .

Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 10:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Mine do.
It is rather odd because I got them just to do rodent control.
They do that job quite well.
They also just love being a family member and I love them being here.

We have 2 houses and 2 cats.
One at each spot.
They do rodent abatement well.

Our main house is rather large and has enough property to play baseball or football in our backyard and have an indoor/outdoor cat that runs the house and dogs.

Our vacation house/retirement house has acreage and a couple buildings.
One is our primary house
Our other building is a rather large shop with an apartment upstairs.

We rent that out to one of our kids.
The kid keeps an indoor cat there.

We are so afraid of eagles harvesting our animals there so it is scary.

As I write this my “Elvis” is cuddling me.

Shoot... I am a cat person.

BTW I can call my cats and they come running.
Life is good .

Andy.
A favorite saying of mine is "Cats can happen to anyone".

Your story is a very good example of that.

Always nice to meet someone with a Feline Smitten Syndrome.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:33 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
I don't actually have a cat BUT no matter where i go they find me. I could go to the dark side of the moon and within days...POW...cat or cats would be there. And i keep telling myself NOT to get involved or encourage them BUT i can't ignore strays/feral/abandoned kitty's. Like here where i live there are 10 in a colony and of course they gave me "the eye" now in another mess..mommycat got preggo so i couldn't not help with diet needs she had 4 babies. So i call local Humane Society lady she gets 2 promises to get other 2 and spay mommy..and take Big Fluff beautiful all white abandoned boy to get him new home. Well she never did ignored email and voicemails #4 baby went MIA, mommycat expecting another batch in 3 weeks and Big Fluff no new home. I am trying to move cannot take any with me..feel terrible & mad.. poor kittypeoples...stupid me i never learn..yeah cats love me and i them.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:26 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
My grrrlz bring me tokens of their affection all the time - just tonight, Seteria carried in a rodent while loudly announcing that she'd caught it. And Blaliko got all dramatic from outside; turns out she'd captured an itty bitty mouse. What else could they be doing but showing love? (Of course, they like to snuggle and purr too, particularly Blaliko.)

Think of it. All I have to do in return is keep them fed and watered, and supplied with a clean litter box. Such a deal!

Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I had always been a dog person, never thought about getting a cat. Everytime I would go to Petco’s adoption fairs, they always had cats, no dogs. Last time I went in December, I thought, why not? So I took home Titan.

It was touch and go for awhile. He would scratch the heck out of me or wouldn’t get too close to me. I honestly didn’t think it would work because he just was not receptive. He took to my son quicker than me and he doesn’t even live with me. Now, Mr. T wraps himself around my legs, he lets me pick him up and rub his belly, comes in the bathroom and meows loudly at the toilet (I think he thinks he protecting me from getting attacked by the toilet ), and he naps next to me.

I think my cat loves me now.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Sadly, I don't think the cat I originally adopted 'loves' me the way he did when I first got him.

When I first adopted him, he was skittish of course getting used to the new digs. But he was still affectionate, wanting to get on my bed and constantly making biscuits.

I then let my mom take care of it and now when I visit the cat is weird. It's apprehensive of me because I usually only visit when I take him to the vet so he associates me with that (and also other things like applying flea medication). But even at that, he no longer likes to be petted like before, is "scratchy" and skittish around me. He still wants to be in the same room as me and sleep near me when I visit but he doesn't like to be petted like before and runs away often.

I hate to say this but if I could go back in time I would not have adopted him and would have instead adopted another cat I was looking into (I adopted current cat because I never heard back from the other cat shelter until after I adopted). Once my mother passes, I'm going to have to make some decisions regarding this cat.

Such is life.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:41 AM

44 posts, read 34,189 times
Glad you shared your story with us. I became the cat person once my girlfriend brouth home our cat Tom. Never thought i could love any animal so much.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:50 AM

1,646 posts, read 698,288 times
My 2 cats definitely love me. Especially when they display bilateral symmetry when they decide it's time to eat. By that I mean to say, my cats have similar faces, being uncle and nephew, so I often experience them staring at me, fixed, each sitting side by side. 2 faces, 4 eyes, nearly identical, sending the telepathic message, "FEED US NOW."

Old 07-26-2020, 01:11 PM

1,646 posts, read 698,288 times
I know they love me, and it's that unconditional, trust love, because they both allow me to clip and file, yes file their claws, no fuss. And beside that, even when they're not wanting food, one shows affection by headbutting, and face rubs, and chatter, and the other one, he's always trying to lick my hair, which is very annoying, because he really puts his heart into it. And he talks to me. I'm sure that when cats bond with their humans, it's a symbiotic relationship, and they believe you are one of them, a parent, and you've developed a nurturing aspect towards them, sort of like an adopted child, but of course different, I mean, clearly, this is no human child. Cats can make ideal companion pets. Always keep in mind that even though that animal is tamed, it's still an animal and can become wild in an instant. A lot like people. Other than that, I really do think cats have the intellectual capacity to love us.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:33 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
I was just talking to Hubby about this the other day.

Every night, Josette comes up to us when we are in bed (usually AFTER I have fallen asleep) for attention. When she was a baby, she used to try to nurse on my side (she still does occasionally). In other words, she has adopted me as her "Mommy."

Elvira sits on my lap almost every morning. Sometimes she will sit on my lap in the afternoon. Every now and again, she will come up in the middle of the night and steal my pillow. When she was a baby, she would curl up on my neck. In other words, she adopted me as her "Mommy."

Luna on the other hand... She does come up once in a while but doesn't stay for any length of time. She may rub up against us once in a while but it is not something she does all the time. Granted, we only have had her for about 6 months. But, she is still a baby but she has never "told me" that she has adopted me as "Mommy." Does she love me? I guess she does even though she doesn't give much of signs of it.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats