Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 AM

320 posts, read 2,531,299 times

Advertisements

Our cat is going to be having her first litter of kittens. We have not had a litter before and would appreciate any advice:

1. If we wanted to give the kittens to a shelter, at what stage (weeks) would a shelter typically accept kittens?

2. If we wanted to put the kittens up for adoption, when is the appropriate time to do so? I believe I read wait at least 8 weeks? Must they have certain shots before being offered for adoption?

3. Is their feeding in the first 8 weeks exclusively mother’s milk?

4. What setup would work best for managing their potty habits? Right now, setting up a big box for mom to get cozy in with her babies.

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 08:13 AM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
My advice would be to get the mama cat spayed before she has another litter. I would also try to do adoptions myself, as I don't trust the large shelters. I don't think people who take in a a kitten from a private person have any expectation of shots etc, that is on them, I know I wouldn't expect it to be paid for, unless it was part of a fee, such as an adoption from a shelter.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:20 AM

30,549 posts, read 16,240,407 times
I would try a cat rescue as opposed to a shelter. They will generally foster and are better (I think) at screening potential adopters.

As for your other questions, can't help there. I'm on my 1st litter. Mom is a feral-3 kittens a cat rescue will take as long as I get them used to people. They will then help me get mom spayed. Not all vets are open locally but they know which ones are, at least to them.

good luck

Old 06-02-2020, 11:46 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Get your cat spayed. That's the best advice anyone can give you.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Kittens should remain with the mother for 13 weeks, and all be spayed neutered and vaccinated before sending off to new homes.

Charge a small fee and do a thorough check on anyone answering the ad. People look for kittens to do evil things to.

The mother should be kept strictly inside because she can get pregnant again at any time. I can't understand why she wasn't spayed already. You can have kittens and mother spayed and neutered all at once, perhaps the vet will give you a deal.

I repeat, do NOT let the mother out again until she is spayed.

These kittens are your responsibility. Do not take them to a shelter. Spay and neuter them and vaccinate them and find them decent homes. And spay the mother.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-02-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I would try a cat rescue as opposed to a shelter. They will generally foster and are better (I think) at screening potential adopters.

good luck

Why should a shelter or rescue be burdened with these kittens? They have enough to cope with. These people deliberately let their cat get pregnant. The kittens are THEIR responsibility.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Why should a shelter or rescue be burdened with these kittens? They have enough to cope with. These people deliberately let their cat get pregnant. The kittens are THEIR responsibility.
because if it's a responsibility they don't want or can't deal with, the kittens should not bear the brunt of that.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
because if it's a responsibility they don't want or can't deal with, the kittens should not bear the brunt of that.

No. They allowed their cat to get pregnant. It is their responsibility to see that the kittens are neutered and are placed in good homes. Shelters and rescues don't exist just so people can allow their cats to have kittens and them dump them on the shelter.

Shelters and rescues are already full to bursting this time of year from abandoned and abused cats and kittens.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-02-2020 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 05:13 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
No it's a responsibility they asked for. They happily state this is their cats first litter without a thought that they should have had their cat spayed now or in the future.
People that purposely let their cats get pregnant like it's a good thing and then ask for advice need a dose of reality. What they should do is go to a shelter and watch cats and kittens be put down for lack of homes and overpopulation. Then take full responsibility of bringing these innocent little ones into the world knowing their chances of having good long lives in loving homes are slim.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:34 PM

but if they acted irresponsibly in letting the cat get pregnant (which they did) why would you expect them to act any differently when it comes to taking care of the kittens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats