Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times

Advertisements

My 19 yr old cat was just diagnosed with mild liver failure and hyperthyroidism (levels 11). We are trying the prescription food. I’m picking up the transdermal treatment today for the hyperthyroid. He got a fluid bolus on Tuesday and another one today. He also hasn’t eaten or drank anything for 7 days. We can’t get him to eat anything. He had an antiemetic injection today because he’s vomiting about 3 times per day. I feel like he’s at the end, but the vet said the hyperthyroid is reversible. It’s such a gray area for me. If he continues to refuse to eat or drink then I’ll know it’s the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 PM

78 posts, read 61,685 times
Hyperthyroid IS typically quite treatable, but every case and cat is different. I would focus right now on getting him eating- not eating in cats is very dangerous because they can quickly develop fatty liver disease. That may mean you need to offer him highly palatable foods right now instead of trying to transition to the prescription diet. Things like chicken baby foods (make sure there's no garlic or onion) or things like Fancy Feast may perk up his appetite. If he can tolerate it, you might try syringe feeding for just a day or two to see if you can just get him started.

Were his kidney values okay? Hyperthyroid can mask kidney failure in cats, so keep in mind that normal levels now does not guarantee his kidneys are fine.

In a younger cat, I would suggest a feeding tube if he didn't start eating on his own, but it's very understandable if you don't feel that would be right at his age. I'm very sorry you're facing this. For the vomiting you might consider Pepcid and Cerenia- Cerenia might be what he was given as an injectable, but it also comes in pill form. But if he does continue vomiting and refusing food- there might be something else going on, and again I think you'll need to take his age into account when pursuing further diagnostics or interventions. Thyroid meds can take one to three weeks to really start bringing his levels down (and his level is quite high.) So it may be a matter of keeping him going long enough for the med to kick in and for him to start feeling better. Which again....you'll need to make a decision if you feel trying to bridge that gap with more intense interventions like force feeding would be beneficial to him.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:16 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
My 19-year old was diagnosed with hyperthyroid about 10 months ago. She too was started on the transdermal methimazole. When she was checked about a month later the levels were down (don't remember what they were). She was then checked again about 2 months later and they were even still lower. She is due to be checked in a couple of months.

After a couple of months on the transdermal, I changed to pills that she gets twice a day (pill pockets are great for pilling). She is due to be checked in a couple of months.

Her kidney function was good for a cat her age but she does have high blood pressure. She takes pills for that too. You may want to ask the vet to check his blood pressure because I believe it goes hand-to-hand with thyroid disease.

Have you tried Nutri-Cal for a calorie supplement? I keep it on hand for those days when my Girl doesn't seem to have consumed enough calories. Whatever food he will eat let him. At least until he is stabilized.

https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/content/nutri-cal

Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Have you tried giving him some chicken or turkey baby food? Most cats love the stuff and while it's not nutritionally complete for long-term use, it might get him interested in eating again.

If he truly hasn't eaten in that many days, sadly, the end might be near. There may be something else going on that you don't know about. Please pet him for me. We have a 19 year old too and they are treasures.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:48 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
My 17 and a half year old cat was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She's doing the ear creams and she's on kidney diet food and she's doing well.

Have you tried warming up food in the microwave? Sometimes that makes the aroma more tempting for an animal.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:56 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
My 19 yr old cat was just diagnosed with mild liver failure and hyperthyroidism (levels 11). We are trying the prescription food. I’m picking up the transdermal treatment today for the hyperthyroid. He got a fluid bolus on Tuesday and another one today. He also hasn’t eaten or drank anything for 7 days. We can’t get him to eat anything. He had an antiemetic injection today because he’s vomiting about 3 times per day. I feel like he’s at the end, but the vet said the hyperthyroid is reversible. It’s such a gray area for me. If he continues to refuse to eat or drink then I’ll know it’s the end.
Sorry; what do you mean by "levels 11"? What was his T-4 result?

Hyperthyroidism isn't "reversible," as far as I know, but it's treatable.

If a cat won't eat the prescription food, feed him whatever he WILL eat (always). I've had good luck with the Sheba pate; it seems to be soft and creamy, apparently delicious and easy for them to lick up. I smash it into a paste for mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats