Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:23 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I haven't created any colonies. I do what I can. I've adopted two and taken a 3rd in for vet care when he was ill. There is a middle ground between doing nothing and everything.
I didn't say that you did. I said that it's different for everyone.

But I'll bet you'd have a pretty hard time finding that "middle ground" if you lived in my part of Alaska where hearing the wolves at night is commonplace, which is what I was typing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 04:37 PM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I didn't say that you did. I said that it's different for everyone.

But I'll bet you'd have a pretty hard time finding that "middle ground" if you lived in my part of Alaska where hearing the wolves at night is commonplace, which is what I was typing about.
No matter where you live,they still need and deserve all the help they can get.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
No matter where you live,they still need and deserve all the help they can get.
So what's your point?

My point is that just putting out food isn't always the best approach. And at my home in Alaska, it's illegal to leave pet food out for good reason. Again, there's no blanket one-size-fits-all answer to this -- but when I take in a feral, I take responsibility for spaying/neutering/vet care/shelter from the elements/high spots and other escape hatches. It wouldn't be doing the cats any favors by simply putting out food and letting them freeze, reproduce, and get torn up by wolves.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:59 PM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
Quote:
So what's your point?

My point is that just putting out food isn't always the best approach. And at my home in Alaska, it's illegal to leave pet food out for good reason. Again, there's no blanket one-size-fits-all answer to this -- but when I take in a feral, I take responsibility for spaying/neutering/vet care/shelter from the elements/high spots and other escape hatches. It wouldn't be doing the cats any favors by simply putting out food and letting them freeze, reproduce, and get torn up by wolves.
Caring about them and helping them with food so they won’t have to struggle so much hunting for it and letting them use your facilities for shelter when needed is one thing. Taking them in for life is another and impossible for most people for many reasons.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:15 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Sorry but I'm confused. Are these feral cats you're feeding or neighborhood cats that come around your house from other homes?
I've been around feral cats for many years. Never, not once in my life have I seen a feral cat turn down food because they could afford to be picky. You must be way overfeeding to the point that they've lost interest in food like a spoiled house cat that has more food available than they could possibly eat. These cats now are basically your pets and not feral. I'm not saying that as a bad thing but as a reality check.
He is prolly a bit spoiled as eats often (3-5 times per day).

I am able to be here almost daily so it helps him as he looks up to me at my 2nd floor apt balcony from below, & asks for food by 'his licking his tongue, w a big-eyed look'. lol

Hope this clarifies.

Oh, our indoor was caught here at this apts in '09 & had ab scar so vet said most likely spayed, thus not a feral but a stray back then, & ever since she is an indoor only.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Caring about them and helping them with food so they won’t have to struggle so much hunting for it and letting them use your facilities for shelter when needed is one thing. Taking them in for life is another and impossible for most people for many reasons.
Sounds like you just want to argue.

Ever lived around wolves? Didn't think so. "Helping them with food" may turn them into wolf bait (or coyote bait in other parts of the country). People should take that into consideration. And there ARE organizations that will help if you don't have the money for spaying/neutering/vet care. I don't use them. I pay for it myself because it's called taking responsibility and because I can. You do it your way, though, but don't put your standards on an environment that you don't understand.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:

Ever lived around wolves? Didn't think so. "Helping them with food" may turn them into wolf bait (or coyote bait in other parts of the country). People should take that into consideration. And there ARE organizations that will help if you don't have the money for spaying/neutering/vet care. I don't use them. I pay for it myself because it's called taking responsibility and because I can. You do it your way, though, but don't put your standards on an environment that you don't understand.
What would they be, if no one fed them? Not wolf bait?

I live in Coyote Country, and if a housecat gets out it doesn't last the night. But ferals tend to do a lot better. Don't know why they can survive - either they're better at hiding, running, or fighting coyotes.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:

There is nowhere for this.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
There is nowhere for this.
You're doing what you can, Jen.

I don't think you should stop being kind to helpless starving animals just because some parts of the world (not where you live) have wolves.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What would they be, if no one fed them? Not wolf bait?

I live in Coyote Country, and if a housecat gets out it doesn't last the night. But ferals tend to do a lot better. Don't know why they can survive - either they're better at hiding, running, or fighting coyotes.
As I've previously stated, leaving pet food out in Alaska is against the law for good reason (the one currently on my property gets fed twice a day and in the rare case there's something left over it gets put away). And even if it weren't illegal to leave pet food out, smart people don't want to attract wolves and bears onto their property. After all, it's where their children play. There's a bigger picture to consider in some places. And your coyotes are nothing compared to Alaska's wolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats