Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
You mentioned in this response that he had always used outside only and no litter box for years. Did he even go outside right after he was neutered? The reason I am asking is because we will hopefully be getting a semi-feral that I have managed to tame and socialize spayed soon and didn’t want to force her to stay inside even though I know she should at least for a few days. If he did go outside during this time,did it hinder or prolong his healing?
The starving stray I found last February was probably abandoned as it only took me a few days to pet her. After we had been feeding her for a week we were able to grab her and take her to the vet to be spayed and get all her required shots. She recuperated in the large walk-in shower that I wasn't using at the time. I had her bed on one end and the litter box on the other. She did fine, mostly because she wasn't feeling up to going outside.

When she was feeling better she slowly explored one room at a time but was always ready to run back to the shower. It took a few weeks till she was 100% and she happily stayed indoors for awhile. But the lure of outside called to her so she is now an inside/outside cat. The meowing was driving me crazy as I also work from home 2 hours a day. She stays within calling distance and loves to hang out on the screened in lanai and with my dog. She prefers to do her business outside but she will use the litter box when I close her in for the night.

I think they get bored with being strictly inside unless you have the time to play with them a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The starving stray I found last February was probably abandoned as it only took me a few days to pet her. After we had been feeding her for a week we were able to grab her and take her to the vet to be spayed and get all her required shots. She recuperated in the large walk-in shower that I wasn't using at the time. I had her bed on one end and the litter box on the other. She did fine, mostly because she wasn't feeling up to going outside.

When she was feeling better she slowly explored one room at a time but was always ready to run back to the shower. It took a few weeks till she was 100% and she happily stayed indoors for awhile. But the lure of outside called to her so she is now an inside/outside cat. The meowing was driving me crazy as I also work from home 2 hours a day. She stays within calling distance and loves to hang out on the screened in lanai and with my dog. She prefers to do her business outside but she will use the litter box when I close her in for the night.

I think they get bored with being strictly inside unless you have the time to play with them a lot.
Apparently,she didn’t lose her trust in you either. That’s great! Hope ours works out that well.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
She still won't allow anybody to pick her up. Probably remembers both times we did she went someplace unpleasant but she gets more loving toward me every day.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
She still won't allow anybody to pick her up. Probably remembers both times we did she went someplace unpleasant but she gets more loving toward me every day.
Probably. We had one like that that had already been neutered through TNR. He turned out to be the sweetest lap cat but he didn’t want to be picked up.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:38 AM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
It was about 6 years ago when I found my cat. He was a little fart hanging with some older cats in an alley by a dumpster. When I drove up the other cats took off running but he chose to hide behind the dumpster. My headlights lit up his glowing peepers so he was easy to spot.
I got out of my vehicle and walked up behind the dumpster where he was sitting there shivering, he was scared and cold, it was winter.
He has been living in my house ever since. Every once in a while when I am stuffing trash in the waste basket he will walk up and observe and have flashbacks of his dumpster picking days. He will start meowing like he wants to go outside but I ignore him.
Then he will hop up onto the window sill and see all the poor unfortunate cats outside freezing their arses off and realize how lucky he is and that the good old days weren't so good.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
It was about 6 years ago when I found my cat. He was a little fart hanging with some older cats in an alley by a dumpster. When I drove up the other cats took off running but he chose to hide behind the dumpster. My headlights lit up his glowing peepers so he was easy to spot.
I got out of my vehicle and walked up behind the dumpster where he was sitting there shivering, he was scared and cold, it was winter.
He has been living in my house ever since. Every once in a while when I am stuffing trash in the waste basket he will walk up and observe and have flashbacks of his dumpster picking days. He will start meowing like he wants to go outside but I ignore him.
Then he will hop up onto the window sill and see all the poor unfortunate cats outside freezing their arses off and realize how lucky he is and that the good old days weren't so good.
Awww.....such a sweet story and bless you for taking him in.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:14 PM

43 posts, read 31,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
You mentioned in this response that he had always used outside only and no litter box for years. Did he even go outside right after he was neutered?
It's so long ago I actually don't remember. I think maybe with boys the cut is so small they don't have much healing time? Maybe he did use the litter box then, but stopped later, I'm not sure. If he ever did use it, he forgot for a while for sure!

Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Their personalities are all different. My cat was feral, and I mean really feral, not lost or someone else's pet at one time. She adapted wonderfully to being an indoor cat. She has no interest in going outside. She has free roam of the house, has toys, good food, scratching posts, a cat tree house and is treated like a loved family member. I think she knows how good she has it now. In return, she's very affectionate and wouldn't leave if you paid her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats