Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM

173 posts, read 120,506 times

Advertisements

We have 3 cats, each being 10 years +. They are indoor/outdoor so in the past I've had them vaccinated. But my female, age 11, had two shots yesterday (leukemia & FVRCP) and last night and today she is listless, just sleeps, doesn't eat or drink. I don't like putting my cats through this type of reaction and would like to know if anyone else is stopping the shots after a certain age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 01:35 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
We have four cats. Two are kept up to date with their vaccinations (the females). The other two (males) we have stopped vaccinating due to bad reactions to the vaccines. (One required an emergency room visit!)

We previously had a cat who had asthma and later, lung cancer. I also stopped vaccinating him because I felt it wasn't a good idea to vaccinate an animal with health issues.

Note: Our cats are indoor only.

PS If you're concerned about your cat's immunity, you can request a titer panel to check for this. We did this once for our asthma kitty and were pleased to see, that after no vaccines for 7 years, that he still had immunity for the major diseases.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:01 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I stopped all vaccines around age 10 or sooner if they had a chronic condition. We have tiny dogs that are mostly home. I didn’t bother to titer.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:20 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
My 19-year old for the past 6 years has not gotten her shots - she is indoor mostly. I just adopted a 10-year old and I'll forego with shots for him also. My kitties live a pretty isolated life (no contact with other cats) and I prefer to avoid the side effects that vaccination present especially for the 19-year old with hyperthyroid and high blood pressure.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:58 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog-Mom View Post
We have 3 cats, each being 10 years +. They are indoor/outdoor so in the past I've had them vaccinated. But my female, age 11, had two shots yesterday (leukemia & FVRCP) and last night and today she is listless, just sleeps, doesn't eat or drink. I don't like putting my cats through this type of reaction and would like to know if anyone else is stopping the shots after a certain age?
You shouldn't be giving more than 1 vaccine at a time. My vet spaces them out over a few weeks - my cat needed both her rabies and FVRCP the same year one year. We gave her the rabies 1st at her wellness exam (because there is a deadline for that one) and then I brought her back 2 weeks later for the FVRCP, which she gets every 4 years (rabies every 3 years).

Old 01-24-2020, 08:01 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
If you want to eliminate vaccines then make your cat an indoor cat only. They can't catch diseases from other cats if your cat doesn't make contact with them. You can also stop the flea crap too unless you have other animals going in and out. It's really that simple.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
My new vet told me the only thing you should vaccinate for later in life is rabies. I have read that indoor-only cats don't need to be vaxxßed for it, you just have to hope they don't get outside.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My new vet told me the only thing you should vaccinate for later in life is rabies. I have read that indoor-only cats don't need to be vaxxßed for it, you just have to hope they don't get outside.
Depends on what and and/or local laws require. Some places require all cats, indoor or outdoor, to be vaccinated unless they have a valid medical reason that would prevent it.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Depends on what and and/or local laws require. Some places require all cats, indoor or outdoor, to be vaccinated unless they have a valid medical reason that would prevent it.
How in the world are they going to even know that you have a pet cat, especially if you take in a stray and not adopted at a shelter? The warden will see that they don't have their collar and tags when you are outside walking them?

A cat is not a dog. No way to enforce these laws on cats. I moved to a state that has this law on the books. The state does not know that I have indoor only cats.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
No. I keep mine vaccinated because if I travel or have to go to the hospital, they would have to be either boarded or pet-sit and either scenario requires up-to-date vaccinations. None of my cats ever go out of the house or mingle with other cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats