Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 05:38 PM

749 posts, read 580,342 times

Advertisements

My 6 year old guy began sneezing occasionally last year. I took him to vet who said nothing is wrong with him--no other symptoms. Face is okay. But this is the same vet who thought cat's lack of appetite was nothing to worry about--turned out he had mild hyperthyroidism (treated now)

You think it might be environmental--in my apartment? I use Glade spray. No smoking. Dust.
An allergy? There's nothing OTC to get. Cats must get blood tests for allergy $$.

Your cats ever sneeze? What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
I've been owned by cats my whole life. All have sneezed at some point.

The old lady who recently passed away at 24 years of life would have sneezing fits where she'd sneeze 4-5 times in a row, often spewing out snot. It seemed to be her way of blowing her nose, so to speak. She did that in 1 of two places, usually. One, in my face in the middle of the night, or 2, on any window I had recently washed. The vet could find nothing obviously wrong. Clearly, she was not bothered by it. As I stated, she was 24 years old when she died.

My other 2 cats also sneeze, but not as much as she did. I figure it's probably dust or pollen or dry air, or whatever.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Heck - I sneeze a lot more than my cats and it is probably attributable to dust or something similar (like cat fur ). My cats occasionally sneeze and I consider it nothing unusual and are probably caused by the same irritants that tickle my nose.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Both of my lady cats sneeze once in a while. They're both seniors and healthy, so I don't pay much attention to it.
Probably dry air, or a bit of dust, etc., and could also be something in the environment causing a slight reaction. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it becomes daily and chronic with your boy.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
I would stop using the Glade spray, or any other spray air fresheners.

How often does he sneeze? Any other symptoms like runny eyes, nasal discharge, lethargy?

There are certain times of the year that our cats may sneeze daily, possibly allergies, but nothing chronic and most of the time they don't sneeze.

If you don't trust your vet, you can always get a second opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats