Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 7,446 times

Advertisements

I am struggling with something.

I had to put my 16 year old cat to sleep in October. He had been with me when I was single, when I got married, through 2 kids and a move to the suburb. I loved this cat almost as much as my kids. He was my soul kitty. He was my perfect kitty match.

In his lifetime, we have had 2 other cats that were his housemates. One died about 5 years back and we got another one. I loved both of these cats, and love my current cat. But not like I loved him. I want another cat to keep my current cat company but I am wondering if I will EVER have another cat that I love as much as I love him. I know that this makes me sound nuts but have any of you been in this circumstance? Were you ever able to find another one that you felt that way about?

Thanks for your opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
You aren't nuts! I think most of us here have been in your situation. We lost our Tucker five years ago. He was my heart cat and we'd been through a lot together (a divorce, a move, remarriage, adding other cats).

We have four cats and while I love them all, it's not quite the same as with Tucker.

The answer is, you can't know if you'll find another heart cat. But, IMO, it may happen if your heart is open to it. We may adopt another cat that becomes just as special, or perhaps special in another way.

I so hope it will happen for me, but if not, I will always treasure those years together with Tucker boy.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:29 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
I have the same fear for when I lose my Gypsy. I waited so long to be able to have her and she bonded with us right away and it has been pure love every minute since then. I never thought a cat would be the way she is and can't imagine finding another.

But when you take a class you never expect to find a best friend. And when you buy some jeans or something, it's not until later that they're your favorite thing on earth and you wish you had gotten 10 of them. So you just have to enjoy the company of a cat, and give one a good home, and they'll either be a nice companion or a soul mate, but you can't tell.

Not nuts at all - how many friends are with you through all those things? Many anxious nights I've been purred to sleep and who can tell if another cat would do that? Or what they would do that would make you love them?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:32 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
I felt the same way after my baby passed. Many, many years later, a kitty came into my life and she is somehow even MORE amazing than my first! I didn't think it was possible, but it absolutely is!

Old 01-21-2020, 12:26 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I just lost my Electra at the age of 18 & 1/2 last week. She was a VERY special cat-my "right hand cat." There was only ONE other cat who I had such a strong bond with-Bear who I lost over 20 years and I still mourn him. However, we just adopted a new furbaby-Luna. Yeah, less than a week after losing Electra.

I am NOT replacing Electra. She can NEVER be replaced. But, I am hoping that Luna will help heal the hole left in my heart when I lost Electra. I am still mourning Electra and my tears are not spent by any means, but looking at Luna, she makes me smile. She also seems to help my other two cats who are also mourning Electra.

By adopting another cat, not only will the new furbaby help heal the hole in your heart and your other kitty's heart, but you will be giving someone a home who needs one. It really is a win-win situation.

Cat

Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
I've had 5 cats in my lifetime. One I rescued as an abandoned kitten and had for 17 years before losing her to cancer. We were catless for nearly 10 years after she passed. We had to put our dog to sleep in June. I was content to be without a pet for a while, but my husband and kids talked me into getting another cat. In August, we adopted two kitties from our local shelter. I let my kids pick them out. I'll be the first to admit, I got over not wanting another pet really fast. I fell in love with them as soon as we brought them home. I know that technically they are my kids' cats, but they have kind of chosen me. It probably doesn't hurt that I pretty much love on them constantly from the minute I get home from work. I adore them both, but I find that I am just horribly drawn to one of them. We've only had him for 5 months, but I already love him more than I've ever loved any animal I've had. I don't know, there's just something about him. He's a complete mess - grooming isn't really his thing so his fur always has that just woke up look, he knocks stuff over, he breaks things, his favorite toy is whatever piece of trash he finds on the floor, he knows he's not supposed to be on the counter but absolutely doesn't care, he often drinks with his front paws IN the water dish, etc. But after he's done making a mess, with someone (usually me) yelling his name and "No" for an hour, he will come up to wherever I'm sitting, climb up on me, tuck his head under my chin, turn on the purr machine and fall asleep. I can't help but completely love him. So I totally know how you feel.

It's totally normal to feel particularly attached to one animal. But I hope that doesn't keep you from loving another one. There are so many cats who need a loving home. Have you visited the shelter? Maybe there will be one there that you will just connect with.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 PM

294 posts, read 180,595 times
We lost Gambo in September. He was my big love. He loved me. We slept very night together, watched TV, etc. It was one of the worst days in my life when we had to put him down. Right after we got his ashes back, we met a cat that lived in a bathroom of a foster home (she got beaten up by the other cats). I am allergic to most cats and was very concerned but we took her home. I cried when I saw her, she was so pretty and scared, and I felt we try to “replace” Gambo.

I have to say I am nie addicted to Blue. She is so different in every way but she make us smile, she just started cuddling with us. She is actually between us ok the couch right now. It’s amazing to see her develop from this scared cat to a confident cuddle bug.

She will never replace Gambo and I miss him every day.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post

I had to put my 16 year old cat to sleep in October. He had been with me when I was single, when I got married, through 2 kids and a move to the suburb. I loved this cat almost as much as my kids. He was my soul kitty. He was my perfect kitty match.

In his lifetime, we have had 2 other cats that were his housemates. One died about 5 years back and we got another one. I loved both of these cats, and love my current cat. But not like I loved him. I want another cat to keep my current cat company but I am wondering if I will EVER have another cat that I love as much as I love him. I know that this makes me sound nuts but have any of you been in this circumstance? Were you ever able to find another one that you felt that way about?

Thanks for your opinions
All of us, who have had multiple cats over the years, knows that certain ones were just a little more special than the rest. We love them all, but certain ones just tug at your heart a little more than the others.

However, I think if you do adopt a new kitty, you will find that he/she will bring a lot of joy and happiness into your life, as well as being a good buddy for your current cat.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post

Thanks for your opinions
I did. Mine was also 16 when she died and I hesitated to get another cat. I loved the cat that I eventually got, but not in that soulmate type way.

One night I found a kitten and it was love at first site. She had that soulmate thing too. Died young from FIP. It was a nightmare.

I don't know that I want another one. I had a dog like that and 2 cats and it just hurts so much when they go.

I don't want to go through that trauma again.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I did. Mine was also 16 when she died and I hesitated to get another cat. I loved the cat that I eventually got, but not in that soulmate type way.

One night I found a kitten and it was love at first site. She had that soulmate thing too. Died young from FIP. It was a nightmare.

I don't know that I want another one. I had a dog like that and 2 cats and it just hurts so much when they go.

I don't want to go through that trauma again.
I know your pain. All of us, who have lost a pet we loved deeply have said "never again". But time does heal, and we give another wonderful little animal the same loving home and great life we gave our other buddy.

But it sure does hurt when one passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats