Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 05:20 AM

525 posts, read 340,035 times

Advertisements

My brother's cat will move the water bowl with her paw and sometimes even flip it over then I have to keep cleaning. On Friday I had to clean it like 12 times. She did it once like 3 times in a row right after I would clean it. 1. The cat isn't mine. She's my brother and he left her here at this house while he is living at his in laws house since they don't allow animals there since they already have 8. 2. I am responsible for taking care of her so I do what I can but it can be stressful. 3. I told my brother years ago after her dog died (which I took care of and even spent over 1,000 dollars for treatment to keep her alive) to stop bringing animals here since this house isn't for animals but he didn't listen. Now I am being forced to take care of a cat and I like the cat. It's just that I have to work 12 hour shifts now. I wasn't working for 4 months so I had all the time to take care of the cat so I didn't mine but starting tomorrow I will start working which means only my parents will be home and they don't know how to take care of the cat. How do I stop the cat from flipping the water bowl over or moving it? If I am not home the cat will barely have any water left or none and my mom said she isn't going to refill it. I already told this to my brother but he says nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 05:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
What kind of bowl is it? Do you have a large heavy glass square baking pan you could use as a water bowl instead?

If not, you might get something like that.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pyrex-Basic...s%2C171&sr=8-5

Until you can get something she can't tip over, you can put the bowl in another container so when the water spills it is contained, no mess and she will still have water until you get home.

Water bowl tipping is pretty common in cats. It may be she is bored or stressed or this is just something she does. I know you are doing your best, but it doesn't sound like a very happy life for her. Have you considered trying to find her a new home where she is wanted?

Old 01-04-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What kind of bowl is it? Do you have a large heavy glass square baking pan you could use as a water bowl instead?

If not, you might get something like that.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pyrex-Basic...s%2C171&sr=8-5

Until you can get something she can't tip over, you can put the bowl in another container so when the water spills it is contained, no mess and she will still have water until you get home.

Water bowl tipping is pretty common in cats. It may be she is bored or stressed or this is just something she does. I know you are doing your best, but it doesn't sound like a very happy life for her. Have you considered trying to find her a new home where she is wanted?
It looks like a good idea but it should be shorter. I am not the owner. I wish all cats could live in houses where they have all the space to play and get attention the whole day. I can't do that. I like animals. I am vegan. That's why I have a bird feeder in my backyard but I don't like having pets in the house because I don't like it when animals get sick or die. It's very stressful for me.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
It looks like a good idea but it should be shorter.

What do you meant "shorter"? That glass pan is a perfect water bowl for any cat. But if you don't like that one there are others to choose from. Go to walmart or some other household goods store and browse around to find a glass bowl or dish that can't be tipped over by a cat. Just make sure it is "Made in USA" to be sure it doesn't have lead in it.

Quote:
I am not the owner. I wish all cats could live in houses where they have all the space to play and get attention the whole day. I can't do that. I like animals. I am vegan. That's why I have a bird feeder in my backyard but I don't like having pets in the house because I don't like it when animals get sick or die. It's very stressful for me.
Then stop taking in your brother's unwanted pets. Your brother has dumped this cat on you and does not appear to have any plans to take over responsibility for her. It was a lovely thing you did, taking her in. Now it's time to find her a home, and refuse to take in any others.

Some rescues will allow you to list the pet on their website while keeping the pet in your own home. They might even do the home work (application and home checks) for you, especially if you offer a donation.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:22 AM

PS Even if you get the square heavy glass baking pan for water, I would still put it in a tray though, because she may continue to play in it, even if she can't tip it.

One of my cats was a water splasher. She couldn't tip or drag the water bowl because I use the same type of above pan for a water bowl, but she loved splashing her paws in it. I kept the bowl on a wide tray to contain the splashes and spills.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
PS Even if you get the square heavy glass baking pan for water, I would still put it in a tray though, because she may continue to play in it, even if she can't tip it.

One of my cats was a water splasher. She couldn't tip or drag the water bowl because I use the same type of above pan for a water bowl, but she loved splashing her paws in it. I kept the bowl on a wide tray to contain the splashes and spills.
More like a rug. I already have a tray and it goes all over the carpet still.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
More like a rug. I already have a tray and it goes all over the carpet still.

Then get the pan that can't be tipped over, that I already suggested.

It is a simple solution. Put the non-tippable pan in a wide shallow tray. She won't be able to drag the bowl or or tip it over, if you use the heavy square glass baking pan. Any splashing she does will be contained.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Then get the pan that can't be tipped over, that I already suggested.

It is a simple solution. Put the non-tippable pan in a wide shallow tray. She won't be able to drag the bowl or or tip it over, if you use the heavy square glass baking pan. Any splashing she does will be contained.

Okay, I will see if I can find this kind of tray. I don't know how you can tell if a pan is tippable or not other than if it's it's heavy.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:20 AM

Also the cat makes me sneeze a lot sometimes and then I end up getting a runny nose so I have to keep taking some pills at least once a week for these symptoms. My dad said the cat will be here for 2 more months probably. I can't give the cat to anyone or there will be problems between me and my brother and also my parents.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Okay, I will see if I can find this kind of tray. I don't know how you can tell if a pan is tippable or not other than if it's it's heavy.
A heavy square glass baking pan as I linked to above is very unlikely to be tippable by a cat. I know this because it's what I used for my cat who liked to tip and drag water bowls.

When I started using the heavy square glass baking pan she had to content herself with splashing instead. Which she did. A lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats