Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 07:16 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times

Advertisements

Cat has already been to the vet. She got antibiotic injection, her butt shaved and then scrubbed thoroughly, and that's about it. she's overweight and can't really "reach" when she self-grooms so I have to use a kitty wipe every day. Sometimes there's feces smudged or clumped. Data:
  1. Spayed young adult female short-hair tabby
  2. 15 lbs (obese when I got her, she's lost 1/4 pound in the past 2 years since)
  3. Wet food; fancy feast "tender" beef, chicken, turkey, liver pates, sheba half-portion pates for a daily snack, stella and chewy's, Dave's, Open Farm, BFF pouches mostly turkey and chicken, a few others. I switch out but Fancy Feast tender beef pate is her usual for the morning meal.
  4. I have fresh water for her every day but she doesn't touch it, ever.
  5. Uscented clumping litter, I clean it once a day.
  6. not active, mostly a lump, previous owner's husband couldn't stand cats and refused to socialize with her. She's gotten better but she still prefers to just lay around doing nothing.
  7. Claws are intact
  8. Instead of buying cat treats, I get free grain-free kibble sample packs and she gets a teaspoon of those instead. Not meals, not mid-day snacks - just a spoon in mid-day, and a spoon at bedtime.

Concern: sometimes she'll sit on the bed and when she gets up, I discover she's left a smear of feces on the blanket. I check her backside and see that it's not "covered" but has little smudges - and I have to wash it off for her. I think this is causing a lot of this "urine" scald and that it isn't the urine at all that's causing the problem. Sorry to get so graphic but I'll be getting a new vet (new home in new state) and I need to try and deal with this before traumatizing the cat again.

Is there some kind of diaper rash ointment I could maybe smear on/off instead of the kitty wipes maybe? is A&D safe for a cat? I ask because I know the best way to take eye-liner off your eyes isn't cleanser and water, it's oil or grease of some sort. Much more gentle on the sensitive eyelids. So maybe the same approach with the cat would be better than kitty cleansing wipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Cat has already been to the vet. She got antibiotic injection, her butt shaved and then scrubbed thoroughly, and that's about it. she's overweight and can't really "reach" when she self-grooms so I have to use a kitty wipe every day. Sometimes there's feces smudged or clumped. Data:
  1. Spayed young adult female short-hair tabby
  2. 15 lbs (obese when I got her, she's lost 1/4 pound in the past 2 years since)
  3. Wet food; fancy feast "tender" beef, chicken, turkey, liver pates, sheba half-portion pates for a daily snack, stella and chewy's, Dave's, Open Farm, BFF pouches mostly turkey and chicken, a few others. I switch out but Fancy Feast tender beef pate is her usual for the morning meal.
  4. I have fresh water for her every day but she doesn't touch it, ever.
  5. Uscented clumping litter, I clean it once a day.
  6. not active, mostly a lump, previous owner's husband couldn't stand cats and refused to socialize with her. She's gotten better but she still prefers to just lay around doing nothing.
  7. Claws are intact
  8. Instead of buying cat treats, I get free grain-free kibble sample packs and she gets a teaspoon of those instead. Not meals, not mid-day snacks - just a spoon in mid-day, and a spoon at bedtime.

Concern: sometimes she'll sit on the bed and when she gets up, I discover she's left a smear of feces on the blanket. I check her backside and see that it's not "covered" but has little smudges - and I have to wash it off for her. I think this is causing a lot of this "urine" scald and that it isn't the urine at all that's causing the problem. Sorry to get so graphic but I'll be getting a new vet (new home in new state) and I need to try and deal with this before traumatizing the cat again.

Is there some kind of diaper rash ointment I could maybe smear on/off instead of the kitty wipes maybe? is A&D safe for a cat? I ask because I know the best way to take eye-liner off your eyes isn't cleanser and water, it's oil or grease of some sort. Much more gentle on the sensitive eyelids. So maybe the same approach with the cat would be better than kitty cleansing wipes?

Please, ask your vet before trying something. Remedies for people are 1000 times stronger than kitty remedies. I don't know any vets who won't give simple advice right over the phone. Poor baby.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
In another forum there was a cat who had been hit by a car, and could n longer toilet normally. She ahd terrible scalds. They used this product on her with great success:

https://smile.amazon.com/Leucillin-A...sr=1-1-catcorr

I bought a bottle myself for my cats first aid kit. I've only ever had to use it for one issue, a cat had her anal glands expressed and I don't know if they were rough with her or not but she got very sore on her bottom so I sprayed her for a few days. It did seem to give her relief and the redness cleared up.

A word about the kibble. Why are you giving that to her? Two teaspoons full of kibble is A LOT. That's a lot of extra empty calories you are giving her every day. She doesn't need it.

Keep her on the wet foods, keep track of how much she is getting to help her reduce slowly. Get some freeze dried pure protein treats if you want to treat her with something. She's never going to be a healthy weight feeding her that kibble. I prefer the Whole Life brand, but PureBites might be a bit less expensive if that is a concern. Just two or three little pieces a day a day. Toss them across the floor for her to chase down, this will encourage her playful side and get her moving.

As she reduces she will feel more like moving.

Get a baby scale and weigh her weekly, to monitor her loss. No more than an ounce a week loss.

I also recommend keeping a record to track her progress.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:38 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Please, ask your vet before trying something. Remedies for people are 1000 times stronger than kitty remedies. I don't know any vets who won't give simple advice right over the phone. Poor baby.
I agree. I know there are special wipes for urine scald; I used them for my oldest cat when she had scald once and her entire butt was scalded almost naked (I can't believe I didn't notice it until it got to that point). The wipes counteracted the urine really well until she could heal up and alleviated her discomfort as well. I'm sorry that I can't remember what they were called but they had a very distinctive smell.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the tip on the hypochlorous acid spray. A couple of other forums mention it too.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:04 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,969,739 times
I'm surprised the vet didn't give you advice both on how to manage this as well as weight management strategies? They definitely should have, so don't be shy to call them back and ask them how they would recommend to best help her out. The biggest concern with putting something on her is that she's likely to lick it off.

I'm not super-concerned if you don't see her drink water, as ideally, cats get their moisture through their food, and as you say she gets wet food, it's not surprising to me that you don't see a lot of water consumption. Does this concern the vet at all? Does her urination (including output amount) seem okay? Are you sure you're simply not seeing her drink, as opposed to her not drinking?

As far as being a "lump," many cats are! Can you interest her in playing?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:28 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Catinfo.org.

This site has a whole section on dealing with overweight cats.

Stop feeding kibble! There are much healthier treats out there. Purebites, for example, is nothing more than freeze dried meat bits.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:48 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
I'm wondering if your vet has ever checked her anal glands? If she is unable to groom back there they may be full.

What toys have you tried? There are some that are nearly irritable to kitties, like Da Bird.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:40 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,266 times
If it looks inflamed, it is probably painful. Ask the vet about a topical gel that you can use for discomfort. When my Girl had issues with her anus, the vet prescribed lidocaine gel.

Also she was pretty 'raw' down there and was prescribed Silver Sulfadiazine cream - it dried out the area nicely and aided in healing. We started this cream after we stopped using the lidocaine gel.

Is your kitty constipated?

Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 PM

I was just hoping for info on something to soothe the area. That is why I posted, no other reason. She already has a vet, and my vet is always open to new ideas. But no I don't need to know the cause of her scald, I already know the cause. I don't need a cure, because the cure is to continue helping my cat lose another pound in the next 6-8 months so grooming isn't such a chore for her. If and when I need advice on what to feed her I will certainly ask.

Also thank you Naturen I'll ask my vet about the lidocane gel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats