Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 07:32 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times

Advertisements

On one of those court TV shows, defendant was being sued because his cat mangled plaintiff's small dog's face, resulting in big vet bills. Evidence showed that defendant did own the cat and he admitted it anyway, so there was no issue in that respect.

However, court ruled that domestic cats are considered semi-feral and owners are therefore not responsible for cats' actions.

At the other extreme, some communities require that domestic cats be leashed, including one county in my State.

Where does your locality stand on this issue legally. At the extreme end? Or somewhere in the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
I'm only aware of one local ordinance in my town pertaining to cats. Basically it says that "if you feed it, you take responsibility for it, and therefore 'own' it". It applies to indoor or outdoor, feral or otherwise. It also sets a limit of 4 cats per 'owner'. This has been on the books here for a while now, and I'm pretty sure it's still in force.

Not sure how your example would play out here.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
On one of those court TV shows, defendant was being sued because his cat mangled plaintiff's small dog's face, resulting in big vet bills. Evidence showed that defendant did own the cat and he admitted it anyway, so there was no issue in that respect.

However, court ruled that domestic cats are considered semi-feral and owners are therefore not responsible for cats' actions.

At the other extreme, some communities require that domestic cats be leashed, including one county in my State.

Where does your locality stand on this issue legally. At the extreme end? Or somewhere in the middle?

Best to check with your own locality -- city hall or animal control. (imo) indoor spayed and neutered cats have better lives and less 'issues'.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:40 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Cats are sovereigns... they don’t subscibe to your rules!

Old 04-06-2019, 06:47 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Cats run wild in my town and no one cares. Well, I care, but no one cares that I care anymore than they care about the cats to begin with. Your cat must be vaccinated and that's it. Unless your cat is rabid and has bitten someone, so that they can fine you, cats are just one more agricultural animal, to serve a purpose.

My neighbor and I, who are from elsewhere, agree that in a pig's a$$ would we put our beloved pet out on the street not knowing if we would ever see them again.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:42 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
There are community rules, association laws but all in all it looks like the dog attack laws are very much stronger and solid than anything for cat attack. So check your area to be sure.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Given the coyotes, this isn't really an issue where we live.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
I'm rural and cats are welcome in this area. Personally though, I no longer encourage cats since my wife died but many of them "adopted" us when she was alive and she encouraged them, had 'em vaccinated, and treated them as pets.

The OP is simply a question because of the apparent opposite extremes to which local laws in non-rural areas treat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats