Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:32 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,076,907 times

Advertisements

My cat is 18 pounds. He's always been a big cat, and we play with him regularly, but now my vet is getting concerned. I know obesity is bad for all species of animals, and I want to lower the risks of health issues for him. We've been feeding him smaller portions. What else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,867 times
I'm assuming you're measuring the food and giving him the same amount each time. You need to get a measuring cup to be accurate. If you're not I'd break up his portions into two meals. Did the vet recommend switching food or just smaller portions?

Increase the amount of exercise/play. Get some toys on a string that you can make move and that will require him to chase them. Do this several times a day. If you think he would tolerate a harness, you could also get one and start walking him.

You might check out Jackson Galaxy's website. I know he has some tips on effective play.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,133,685 times
Have you tried giving him food specifically designed for weight loss? The Blue Buffalo weight control food diet helped my cat lose some weight.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,944,975 times
Yep, increase the time you play actively with him....and buy interactive toys as well. My cats love the crinkly plastic tunnels and the ball in a circle they can bat around. Do you have a cat tree for him to jump on or climb??

Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,076,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'm assuming you're measuring the food and giving him the same amount each time. You need to get a measuring cup to be accurate. If you're not I'd break up his portions into two meals. Did the vet recommend switching food or just smaller portions?

Increase the amount of exercise/play. Get some toys on a string that you can make move and that will require him to chase them. Do this several times a day. If you think he would tolerate a harness, you could also get one and start walking him.

You might check out Jackson Galaxy's website. I know he has some tips on effective play.
Yes, I measure. The vet just recommended smaller portions.

We have a ball on a string, a mouse that makes noise, a ball, and a toy that looks like a wand with a colorful string attached. He likes them all... but his true loves are my scarves lol. My kids play with him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Have you tried giving him food specifically designed for weight loss? The Blue Buffalo weight control food diet helped my cat lose some weight.
We can't change his food. He has a history of kidney stones and must be on a specific type of food to shrink the stones and stop them from forming. If he eats anything else, stones form and it's bad news all around.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,950,840 times
Are you able to feed some canned food along with the dry? (If it's a prescription food it usually has a canned version too.) Canned food is more filling and you can also add water to add even more "bulk" to it. Of course you'll need to reduce the dry if you add canned because it's still calories.

I suggest putting the dry food in a puzzle toy. He will have to "work" more for the food and it will take him longer to eat it. Take an empty plastic soda or water bottle and wash it out, let try. Use a scissors or X-acto knife to randomly cut out holes so the food can roll out as he moves it. Put part of his portion in the bottle. It's also good mental stimulation!

Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
We can't change his food. He has a history of kidney stones and must be on a specific type of food to shrink the stones and stop them from forming. If he eats anything else, stones form and it's bad news all around.
Poor baby. I guess trying to increase exercise may help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I suggest putting the dry food in a puzzle toy. He will have to "work" more for the food and it will take him longer to eat it. Take an empty plastic soda or water bottle and wash it out, let try. Use a scissors or X-acto knife to randomly cut out holes so the food can roll out as he moves it. Put part of his portion in the bottle. It's also good mental stimulation!
Great idea.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 AM

11,310 posts, read 19,685,005 times
"Prescription" diets are notorious for causing obesity. Poor quality junk ingredients, astronomically high in carbohydrates, and if you are feed a dry kibble, entirely species inappropriate. And if your cat has kidney issues, even more reason to be feeding him a wet diet.

If you are feeding a wet version of some vet pushed food, that's a little better though not great.

But if he is on a dry diet, you need to get him off it. Cats need moisture in their diets. Get a baby scale and weigh him weekly or every two weeks. Feed scheduled meals. Monitor the amount he eats daily.

The weight loss should be no faster than an ounce a week. If he loses more than that increase the food a little. If he isn't losing after 3 weeks, cut back a little more.

Feed 3 or even 4 wet meals a day, adding a little water to each meal to help fil him up. Keep a journal so you have a record of how much you are feeding, his weight loss, his litter habits, and his activity level. This will help you monitor and find areas that need more work.

Quote:
These foods do not work and are very bad for any cat. They reduce protein and fat and fill with carbs. No cat should ever be fed such stuff.

Cats need protein and fat sourced from meat, and they need a high moisture diet. Feeding a species appropriate diet with portion control and a consistent exercise regimen of play will win the day for any overweight cat.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-26-2019 at 05:51 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
"Prescription" diets are notorious for causing obesity. Poor quality junk ingredients, astronomically high in carbohydrates, and if you are feed a dry kibble, entirely species inappropriate. And if your cat has kidney issues, even more reason to be feeding him a wet diet.

If you are feeding a wet version of some vet pushed food, that's a little better though not great.

But if he is on a dry diet, you need to get him off it. Cats need moisture in their diets. Get a baby scale and weigh him weekly or every two weeks. Feed scheduled meals. Monitor the amount he eats daily.

The weight loss should be no faster than an ounce a week. If he loses more than that increase the food a little. If he isn't losing after 3 weeks, cut back a little more.

Feed 3 or even 4 wet meals a day, adding a little water to each meal to help fil him up. Keep a journal so you have a record of how much you are feeding, his weight loss, his litter habits, and his activity level. This will help you monitor and find areas that need more work.

These foods do not work and are very bad for any cat. They reduce protein and fat and fill with carbs. No cat should ever be fed such stuff.

Cats need protein and fat sourced from meat, and they need a high moisture diet. Feeding a species appropriate diet with portion control and a consistent exercise regimen of play will win the day for any overweight cat.
The Blue wilderness weight control dry food is high protein and low carb.

You are right - junk diets are not healthy for cats.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:03 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,509,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
The Blue wilderness weight control dry food is high protein and low carb.

You are right - junk diets are not healthy for cats.
That food has about 40% carbs.

Not all proteins are equal. It is a trick that pet food manufacturers use to make consumers believe a food contains a lot of meat...when it doesn't.
Most of the protein comes from all the peas and other ingredients that a strict obligate carnivore should not be fed.

Also, ingredients are listed by weight, before being cooked. Once cooked, chicken goes waaaaaay down the ingredients list.

A less expensive WET food would be a much better choice. Cats NEED moisture IN their food. A dry fed cat is always dehydrated. A cat won't make up the needed moisture at the water bowl.

This vet specializes in feline nutrition.
https://catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Doing...ne_on_Dry_Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats